Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 02 Jul 2018 (Monday) 18:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photographing paintings behind glass

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,819 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 04, 2018 19:29 |  #16

You could use a good zoom lens and stop it down to f/8 or f/10 and it will be as relatively sharp as most primes. Zoom in and out as necessary for different sizes. The same skew (the correction is really called keystone) would apply to all shots as long as the camera and mount for the art remain at the same position.

Color temp stays the same regardless of exposure. I think someone already mentioned getting a Color Checker. I use the Passport version. Subject matter is irrelevant to color temp.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
75,488 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jul 04, 2018 22:37 |  #17

DaveC426913 wrote in post #18656486 (external link)
Is this a camera setting?

I wonder if it will be preserved across a range of exposures, as I shoot various sizes, having to zoom in or out as-needed. I guess as long as I don't move the lights themselves, the exposures should remain constant.

Will it survive changes in matte? i.e. a white matte will have an overall reflection brighter than a navy matte.
(Though I'll be cropping the mattes out.)

Yes, it's in your manual.
It has to do with the color temperature of the light, as in warmth/coolness. It has nothing to do with the exposure.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
1,619 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2016
Post edited 2 months ago by -Duck-.

Jul 05, 2018 02:43 |  #18

Personally, I would remove each from their frames. Time consuming? Sure, but that's the right way to do it. Ultimately it's up to you though.

Technically, though, if you watch your angles, you shouldn't get glare from the lights. Your biggest issue, I think, is avoiding shadows from the frames and mats. If you keep your light back and to the sides you should be able to light the artwork evenly. As for reflections, I've had really good luck shooting through a piece of black foam core with little to no reflections visible. And you don't need a totally dark room either. And yes, you can (should) shoot perpendicular to the artwork. That will save you hours in post processing.

Since you're shooting framed pieces, consider rigging up a frame holder similar to an artist's easel up on a wall. This will allow you to easily adjust each frame to center on the camera. You can then move your tripod closer or further as size demands without constantly having to adjust camera height.

Just some suggestions.

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photography (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)

sergezap
35 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Mar 2017

Jul 05, 2018 04:00 |  #19

I highly recommend this short video: https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=XG2VY2vxFhc (external link)
P.S. Have a good polarizer is a great idea too.

PhotosGuy
75,488 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jul 05, 2018 08:14 |  #20

Links are in:
Shooting artwork(paintings)
includes:

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,265 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 05, 2018 12:59 |  #21

Given the years of labor and skill and talent already invested I'd be inclined to produce the best possible digital copies to serve not only for the book but also for potential art prints. For me that would mean buying, renting or gaining access to a large format scanner. Modern graphics scanners produce excellent images. Most of the usual suspects have wide format options. I've used a Colortrac SG 36 and was flat amazed by the results, but other vendors may be as good or even better.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

Tixeon
Goldmember
1,247 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2004

Jul 05, 2018 18:33 |  #22

After many years of copying glossy originals & thru glass I can only add to what has been said already by suggesting the following. If possible, polarize your lights both in the same direction. Then polarize your lens in the opposite direction. For instance, Vertical on the lights & Horizontal for the lens. I don't know what a circular lens polarizer would do but I imagine it would work similar.

Tim
______
Any cat owner will tell you -- no one really owns a cat...

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,858 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 06, 2018 06:01 |  #23

Tixeon wrote in post #18657015 (external link)
After many years of copying glossy originals & thru glass I can only add to what has been said already by suggesting the following. If possible, polarize your lights both in the same direction. Then polarize your lens in the opposite direction. For instance, Vertical on the lights & Horizontal for the lens. I don't know what a circular lens polarizer would do but I imagine it would work similar.

For this work a linear polariser would I think be fine. It shouldn't be an issue since I would not expect to be using the AF anyway. You could use circularly polarised light, with the illumination and camera filters "crossed" too, I don't know how hard it would be to find CP gels for the lights though. The issue may be that linear polarisation is easily available for the lighting, and CP is what you find for the camera, and mixing linear and CP won't work.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Tixeon
Goldmember
1,247 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2004

Jul 06, 2018 19:51 |  #24

Alan, I don't do much copying anymore but I always used linear polarization for both lights & camera. So far, I haven't run into an auto focus issue with digital and the linear polarizer on the camera. Not sure why, but it just works.

Tim
______
Any cat owner will tell you -- no one really owns a cat...

DaveC426913
THREAD ­ STARTER
56 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 06, 2018 19:55 |  #25

-Duck- wrote in post #18656659 (external link)
Since you're shooting framed pieces, consider rigging up a frame holder similar to an artist's easel up on a wall. This will allow you to easily adjust each frame to center on the camera. You can then move your tripod closer or further as size demands without constantly having to adjust camera height.

Thanks. This is a good idea. Mount them all on the same axis, son's'n I don;t have to adjust the camera all the time.

I went out and bought 2 rolls of landscape fabric, a handful of clamps, and two daylight-balanced fluor. lights.

Time to experiment.

-Duck-
1,619 posts
Joined Apr 2016

Jul 06, 2018 22:26 |  #26

DaveC426913 wrote in post #18657612 (external link)
Thanks. This is a good idea. Mount them all on the same axis, son's'n I don;t have to adjust the camera all the time.

I went out and bought 2 rolls of landscape fabric, a handful of clamps, and two daylight-balanced fluor. lights.

Time to experiment.

Cool. Looking forward to hearing how it all works out.

Unitas Photography (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)

vraspagraphix
124 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 09, 2018 14:02 |  #27

For the images that you plan to shoot under glass (to keep them flat) get a piece of non-glare glass. You may also be able to rent or buy or borrow a vacuum easel. The lights and camera should be polarized. Search Rosco polarizing screens.
Use four lights. 250watt flood lights . Work with tungsten and set color balance accordingly. You will need to adjust the angle based on the size of the prints to be copied. Turn off room lights. With everything polarized you should be able to set the camera lens dead center and not get any reflection from the camera. You may even want to consider a Polaroid MP4 copy stand.

-Duck-
1,619 posts
Joined Apr 2016
Post edited 2 months ago by -Duck-.

Jul 09, 2018 16:47 |  #28

vraspagraphix wrote in post #18659293 (external link)
You may even want to consider a Polaroid MP4 copy stand.

Personally, I find copy stands too cumbersome to use. Specially with larger prints, as the OP implied he has to work with. Working of a wall is much more convenient as it allows for lots of room and flexibility while working at a comfortable height and position.

But that's just me. ;)

DaveC426913
THREAD ­ STARTER
56 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 09, 2018 18:57 |  #29

For the images that you plan to shoot under glass (to keep them flat) get a piece of non-glare glass.

Doens;t non-glare glass interfere with the clarity of the image?

Use four lights. 250watt flood lights . Work with tungsten and set color balance accordingly.

Yeah... I bought a couple of daylight-balanced flourescent bulbs from the camera shop at 20 bucks a pop - only to get them home and discover they are a whopping 22w.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,819 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 2 months ago by Left Handed Brisket. (2 edits in all)

Jul 09, 2018 20:10 |  #30

22w fluorescent is much higher rating in incandescent, usually 4x. Check the lumens rating.

Hopefully the money spent benifits you via CRI.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links

3,257 views & 4 likes for this thread
Photographing paintings behind glass
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.