Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 09 Jul 2018 (Monday) 16:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Just discovered that my Sekonic L478D will not wirelessly trigger monolight

southwestform
69 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Jul 09, 2018 16:57 |  #1

I am using a single monolight with a PocketWizard and another PocketWizard attached to my 5dm3. I now want to use my Sekonic L478D to wirelessly trigger my light when taking a reading, though it seems that my meter does not do this and I need a Sekonic L478DR?

Do I have any options with my current meter? Do I need to use a synch cable if I want to get a reading with my monolight?

Thanks.

sponsored links
ThreeHounds
731 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited 8 days ago by ThreeHounds.

Jul 09, 2018 17:05 |  #2

I bought my 478D before the DR (radio) version was released... I just remove my transmitter from the hot shoe of the camera and carry it with me to trigger the flash to get the meter reading, then just slide it back into the hot shoe.

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

southwestform
THREAD ­ STARTER
69 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Jul 09, 2018 17:49 as a reply to  @ ThreeHounds's post |  #3

Sorry for having to ask this, though how do you use the transmitter from the hot shoe of the camera to trigger the flash?

Thanks.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,456 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 09, 2018 17:54 |  #4

"Test" button?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

southwestform
THREAD ­ STARTER
69 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Jul 09, 2018 19:25 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #5

I was confused by how to get the transmitter to talk to the meter, though I just plugged the cable in and that worked, so I'm guessing that is how it needs to be done?

Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
831 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Dec 2015
Post edited 8 days ago by Angmo.

Jul 09, 2018 19:51 |  #6

southwestform wrote in post #18659503 (external link)
I was confused by how to get the transmitter to talk to the meter, though I just plugged the cable in and that worked, so I'm guessing that is how it needs to be done?

It will not talk to the meter.

Set the meter to read the flash. Hit the test button on the transmitter. The meter will read the flash.

Cable is another way.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,456 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 8 days ago by Left Handed Brisket. (2 edits in all)

Jul 09, 2018 19:58 |  #7

I don't have your specific set up, but the meter does not need to be timed to the strobe like a camera would. Just reset the meter and then click the test button.

I don't worry about making a corded connection between meter and trigger (I don't think I can even do that) and even keep an extra trigger so I can meter and adjust lights without having to be behind the camera.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

southwestform
THREAD ­ STARTER
69 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Jul 09, 2018 22:21 as a reply to  @ Angmo's post |  #8

How do you get the meter to read the flash? I'm guesing that you do not mean the meter will automatically take a reading when I press test since the meter is not wireless.

Thanks.

Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
831 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Dec 2015

Jul 09, 2018 22:40 |  #9

southwestform wrote in post #18659609 (external link)
How do you get the meter to read the flash? I'm guesing that you do not mean the meter will automatically take a reading when I press test since the meter is not wireless.

Thanks.

Two different buttons so yep. Set the meter to read flash and hit the test button n the transmitter.

I’d go online and download the manual from Sekonic.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

ThreeHounds
731 posts
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited 7 days ago by ThreeHounds.

Jul 09, 2018 22:43 as a reply to  @ southwestform's post |  #10

In the mode panel on the meter. choose the flash icon without the "C" (that means corded). Press the read button and the meter waits for the flash pop. Pop the flash with the test button on the transmitter and you get your reading.
I think it has a 60 or 90 second timer on the read mode so you can take a reading, adjust power level if necessary, and repop. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

ThreeHounds
731 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Jul 09, 2018 22:47 |  #11

It's on pg 25-26 of the manual.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

162 views & 7 likes for this thread
Just discovered that my Sekonic L478D will not wirelessly trigger monolight
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.