Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 10 Jul 2018 (Tuesday) 13:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

When do I use my 70D and when my 80D?

Wings
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited 7 months ago by Wings.

Jul 10, 2018 13:56 |  #1

Hi,

I'm shortly off on a month long trip round South America. I have a 70D and 80D and predominantly enjoy photography but will also do some video work. In particular, when in the Galapagos Islands, I will have my telephoto lens on one camera and something wider on the other so I can be reactive without having to spend time swapping lenses.

I will normally have a 10-18mm on one for wide shots and video (with Video Mic attached), and a 17-55 or 150-600mm on the other. Obviously a lot of the time it will be ONLY the 80D.

Question is... when I have both of them with me which do I use for the 10-18mm (video and photo) and which do I use for the 150-600 (photo only)? The 70D is new to me and I have never used it (not delivered yet); I got it predominantly as a backup, so have no experience to go off. I would place quality of photo as a higher priority than quality of video but I imagine the photo quality difference is far less than the video quality difference so don't see it as simple as using the 80D for my "primary" telephoto camera.

Which would you use for which, and any reason why?

Thank you!

sponsored links
BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,954 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 11, 2018 00:30 |  #2

Everything I have read suggests that the PDAF system on the 80D is much superior to that of the 70D. So my 150-600 would be on that body every time. The fact that the 80D has ƒ/8 capable AF points is reason enough in my book, when you are using a ƒ/6.3 maximum aperture at the long end of the lens. With all other things being equal the fact that the 80D AF system is designed to be used with a smaller maximum aperture should translate to better performance even with slightly faster lenses. Remember that PDAF is effectively using the aperture diameter as the base length of an optical rangefinder.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,351 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 11, 2018 00:32 |  #3

80D for video/stills and 70D for stills-only, IMO. Just based on video specs of the 80d.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,380 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 7 months ago by TeamSpeed. (4 edits in all)

Jul 24, 2018 06:51 |  #4

Won't the 10-18 have such a high DOF area that AF systems just won't play an important part with video?

I am sure the 80D is superior to the 70D in all respects, IQ and general performance/features, so it would see the most use.

I agree with Alan, I would relegate the 70D to video work, and make sure my stills with a long lens and better AF (and then presumably higher ISOs) was done with the 80D.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,251 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 24, 2018 07:03 |  #5

Use the 70D when the 80D is broken or out of batteries.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jul 24, 2018 07:31 |  #6

The only thing the 70D is good for in this situation is as a second body. I'd sell it and swap lenses as necessary.

ksbal
Goldmember
2,743 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 24, 2018 08:14 |  #7

Use the 80D for the long lens, and the 70D for the wide when needing both for some reason (critterwatching and then one runs up next to you)

The 80D is the superior camera, both in DR and for video, but the 70D is no slouch and if you are going to carry a backup anyways (and I would) Put the lens you think you will use the most for that section of the trip on the 80D, and put the other lens on the 70D for the moments you don't anticipate. Personally, I hate switching lenses in the middle of any excitement, rather get the shot on the back up than sit there and fiddle with lenses and miss the shot entirely. When you have time, make the 80D the primary picture/video camera, but have the other ready for Just In Case moments.

The 70D sensor is one that doesn't like to be under exposed, particularly at higher iso, it gets muddy and looses detail, so plan on a slight (1/3) over exposure and pull it back down in post if you have to. Practice with both at home before you go. But is more than capable of handling anything you throw at it. Hopefully you can shoot raw and bring a hard drive to pull images off to. If you have to shoot jpg only, then don't over expose, go with what you get.

Have a great time and post some pics!

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

sponsored links

819 views & 4 likes for this thread
When do I use my 70D and when my 80D?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.