Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 11 Jul 2018 (Wednesday) 10:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photo Prints on Metal, WHO's THE BEST

WherzRoony
244 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 11, 2018 10:04 |  #1

I have a dozen keepers from six hours at the glen I want to get printed on metal. Decorations for the camper.

Does anyone here have any experiences with this? Who is the best. I'm not that concerned with price, just the highest resolution/quality product.

Thanks
Eric

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Feel free to use any photo's that I post for any purpose that I don't find offensive. I'd be honored to find my pics used on that world wide web thingy....

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,792 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 11, 2018 11:18 |  #2

I have ordered A LOT of pretty big metal prints.

However, I have only used two companies for these orders; AdoramaPix and Fine Art America. . Of these two, each is better at something different.

AdoramaPix is good because they offer several different finish options - glossy, satin (matte), glossy silver, and silver satin. . They used to only have sizes up to 30" by 40", but now they also offer large sizes - up to 40" by 60".

Fine Art America is good because they will make metal prints in any aspect ratio. . So if you crop an image to non-standard proportions, they will make the metal print to those proportions.

The problem with FAA is that they only offer a glossy finish. . This is a big problem for me because so much of what I shoot is nature, which seldom looks good with a glossy finish. . But it looks like you shoot motorsports, which subject matter lends itself quite well to glossy, and that's probably what you'd pick, anyway.

I don't know if either of these companies is "the best", because I haven't used any others. . But if you want advice from someone who has actually ordered a lot of pretty big metal prints from the companies they recommend, then my info may prove helpful. . I've ordered over two dozen metal prints from each of these companies that are sized at 24" by 36" or larger, and never had a problem. . Plus countless smaller metal prints from AdoramaPix, and never had a problem with any of them, either.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,349 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 11, 2018 13:46 |  #3

I've only used White House Custom Color (WHCC) so far, but they've done a bang up job with the ones I've sent through.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

WherzRoony
THREAD ­ STARTER
244 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Post edited 7 months ago by WherzRoony.

Jul 11, 2018 13:52 |  #4

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18660566 (external link)
Fine Art America is good because they will make metal prints in any aspect ratio. . So if you crop an image to non-standard proportions, they will make the metal print to those proportions.

That's excellent info, Thanks. I was planning on taking them to a friend that has a metal break to "crop" them after printed.

Eric

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Feel free to use any photo's that I post for any purpose that I don't find offensive. I'd be honored to find my pics used on that world wide web thingy....

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,954 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 11, 2018 15:00 |  #5

I highly recommend Whitewall.com (external link). They are very very good quality wise, although with me being in the UK I have used the Berlin lab. I understand that they also have a facility in the US too. They also do custom sizes and aspect ratios.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Pigpen101
869 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2017

Jul 11, 2018 16:04 |  #6

I've used Bayphoto & I've been happy. Don't know where you are, they are in CA.

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,130 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined May 2008

Jul 12, 2018 07:34 |  #7

I have used Meridian Pro for the few metal prints I've ordered. I am happy with their product.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited 7 months ago by Picture North Carolina.

Jul 12, 2018 07:57 |  #8

I will agree with Fine Art America. I've been there 6 years.

The issue of custom aspect ratios with metal prints is huge. FAA's quality is average to above average, but metal printers who do custom sizes are rare indeed.

Here's a look at CG Pro Prints (external link). They are pretty well representative of the industry. They do a knock out job on canvas prints and are dirt cheap, but I've never had a metal done there because their size selection is horribly restrictive.

Most labs buy metal blanks and force you to crop to a specific size. So if custom sizes are important to you, your choice of labs has dwindled substantially.

Website (external link) |

Pigpen101
869 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2017
Post edited 7 months ago by Pigpen101. (3 edits in all)

Jul 13, 2018 15:23 as a reply to  @ Picture North Carolina's post |  #9

From their website:

Any/Every Size From 2x3½" to 48x96", Including Custom Sizes

These labs allow you purchase "samples". You send them a pic and they send you a 4x6 ($30), 5x7 ($37), or 8x12($56) of their 5 different surfaces. Bayphoto also offers 25% off a new customer's 1st purchase.

Here is a link to their size chart & price list. This is just their single layers prints, they do have other options.

https://www.bayphoto.c​om …rints/single-metalprints/ (external link)

One of their pros: You can order a print be drop shipped to your customer anywhere. If you do this there will not be an invoice or receipt included so your customer will not know your pricing (there is an invoice when it is shipped directly to you).

One of their cons: They do not have a private section for their professional clients. This means any of your customers may look to their website to see what you paid!!

Last I checked, custom sizes were priced as such: .25 cents per square inch. A 70x90 for example is 6,300 square inches, so .25 X 6,300 would be $1,575.

sponsored links

964 views & 3 likes for this thread
Photo Prints on Metal, WHO's THE BEST
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.