Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 03 Jul 2018 (Tuesday) 10:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Godox AD400Pro Leaks

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,801 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 09, 2018 10:57 |  #16

SamFrench wrote in post #18659080 (external link)
Point your internet browser to the Adorama web site - and check out the “pre-release” listing....

https://www.adorama.co​m/fplfx400ptb.html (external link)

So it looks like it's not one mount on top of another, that's good. Wonder when they will update the 600pro with the same options. I still think Godox is great, but they kinda do things in an ad-hoc fashion.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links
jlafferty
215 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Jul 09, 2018 12:51 |  #17

Totally agree on the ad-hoc thing.

However, I've got mixed reactions to the mount+adapter thing. I feel like the current Pro is so good I'd hate to see them mess with success.

Just wish the 400 and 600 shared bulbs and batteries. Yay capitalism :(

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18659165 (external link)
https://www.adorama.co​m/fplfx400ptb.html (external link)

So it looks like it's not one mount on top of another, that's good. Wonder when they will update the 600pro with the same options. I still think Godox is great, but they kinda do things in an ad-hoc fashion.

Current Portfolio (external link)

simonbarker
207 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 2 months ago by simonbarker.

Jul 09, 2018 19:19 |  #18

jlafferty wrote in post #18659252 (external link)
However, I've got mixed reactions to the mount+adapter thing. I feel like the current Pro is so good I'd hate to see them mess with success.

Looks like more or less the same design, there's more extension on the silver block the tube mounts to for a AD600 pro but the flash tube pins are longer on the ad400 pro so I think they're about even.

I haven't actually used a AD600 Pro, I know they fixed the position of the tube but was the Bowens mount actually better mechanically than what's found on a AD600B? It's not a big deal but it would be nice if they would handle these small touches.

The bolts on the mount ring appear to match between both pro versions, I'd guess they're interchangeable?

jlafferty
215 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Jul 09, 2018 20:15 |  #19

The Bowens mount on the Pro has tighter tolerances than the AD600 "classic" :)

I see what you mean regarding where the bulb ring sits on the 400. Here's to hoping for the best.

simonbarker wrote in post #18659494 (external link)
Looks like more or less the same design, there's more extension on the silver block the tube mounts to for a AD600 pro but the flash tube pins are longer on the ad400 pro so I think they're about even.

I haven't actually used a AD600 Pro, I know they fixed the position of the tube but was the Bowens mount actually better mechanically than what's found on a AD600B? It's not a big deal but it would be nice if they would handle these small touches.

The bolts on the mount ring appear to match between both pro versions, I'd guess they're interchangeable?

Current Portfolio (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,801 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 11, 2018 12:54 |  #20

flash havoc has a nice write up:

http://flashhavoc.com …pro-ttl-strobe-announced/ (external link)

there will be an A/C adapter just like its big brother.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

tbdinh22
THREAD ­ STARTER
58 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2017

Jul 12, 2018 11:43 |  #21

Godox just announce round fresnel head for Godox AD200

http://flashhavoc.com …200-round-head-announced/ (external link)

Between Godox AD400 Pro, this, and perhap Canon FF mirrorless, this is going to be an expensive year for me.

Canon 5D IV. 24- 70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, Sigma 135 1.8 Art, Sigma 85 1.4 Art, Tamron 15-30 2.8 VC, Tamron 90 2.8 VC
Los Angels Wedding Photography (external link)
Orange County Wedding Photography (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,791 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004
Post edited 2 months ago by RDKirk.

Jul 12, 2018 12:56 |  #22

I hear some UK outlets are predicting a price for the AD400 close to the same price of the AD600.

I think the AD600 is a goner--I don't think Godox intends to remain in the lineup. I don't think they'll even update it.

We'll know for sure when we see the actual selling price of the AD400.

RDKirk
12,791 posts
Joined May 2004

Jul 12, 2018 12:59 |  #23

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18659067 (external link)
Godox mount with bowens adapter?

Sounds like a pain in the neck waste of time and again pushing the bulb back into the modifier opening.

Looks like a different bulb = different remote head accessories

It looks like the Bowens adapter is a bolt-on device, with the wrench included in the kit.

IOW, as permanent as the Bowens mount on the AD600, if you throw away the wrench.

soeren
Whoops Im not updated
342 posts
Joined Nov 2017

Jul 12, 2018 13:16 |  #24

tbdinh22 wrote in post #18661268 (external link)
Godox just announce round fresnel head for Godox AD200

http://flashhavoc.com …200-round-head-announced/ (external link)

Between Godox AD400 Pro, this, and perhap Canon FF mirrorless, this is going to be an expensive year for me.

Drool

simonbarker
207 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 12, 2018 15:37 |  #25

tbdinh22 wrote in post #18661268 (external link)

Well it could be worse, you could be paying Profoto/Broncolor prices rather than Godox ones.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,801 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 13, 2018 10:12 |  #26

RDKirk wrote in post #18661301 (external link)
It looks like the Bowens adapter is a bolt-on device, with the wrench included in the kit.

IOW, as permanent as the Bowens mount on the AD600, if you throw away the wrench.

Yup, the flash havoc link I posted above has some good pics. Once the bowens mount is installed, it seems you still have access to the godox mount.

RDKirk
12,791 posts
Joined May 2004

Jul 13, 2018 10:52 |  #27

I'll still say that the current AD600 will either be dropped from the line or face a substantial upgrade.

The problem is that it's now been technologically obsoleted.

The AD400Pro and the AD600Pro share the benefits of lessons learned from the AD600:

Constant color mode
Effective studio modeling light
Half the recycling time
Better flash tube design
Better stand mount design (and apparently two user-interchangeable stand mount designs)
Detachable handle
Better extension head plug design

Obviously, updating the AD600 to the same standards makes it a manual AD600Pro...which I've heard that Godox has said they're not intending to do.

We will see more certainly where it falls in the lineup when we see the price of the AD400Pro.

simonbarker
207 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 14, 2018 18:54 |  #28

RDKirk wrote in post #18661884 (external link)
I'll still say that the current AD600 will either be dropped from the line or face a substantial upgrade.

I can't see much point in them keeping the TTL AD600, it's too close to the Pro versions to make much sense at its current price.

Unless the manual version is especially expensive for them to make or the 400 Pro especially cheap I think they'll keep it in the line up, most businesses make more money by covering a range of prices and there's plenty of people who won't pay substantially more for the Pro no matter how fancy it gets.

Osa713
Goldmember
1,218 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 2 months ago by Osa713.

Jul 15, 2018 23:39 |  #29

Looks like a good addition to the line up. I am interested if the price is right, it will make a perfect second light for my portraits with my AD600.

LIGHT>LENS>BODY

RDKirk
12,791 posts
Joined May 2004

Jul 16, 2018 08:00 |  #30

simonbarker wrote in post #18662823 (external link)
Unless the manual version is especially expensive for them to make or the 400 Pro especially cheap I think they'll keep it in the line up, most businesses make more money by covering a range of prices and there's plenty of people who won't pay substantially more for the Pro no matter how fancy it gets.

We'd have to ask, then, why is there is a Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L III lens. 'Cause...progress.

An updated AD600 would get the same new customers as the old one would have gotten, and will also get some old customers to upgrade.

sponsored links

6,960 views & 26 likes for this thread
Godox AD400Pro Leaks
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.