Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 12 Jul 2018 (Thursday) 19:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Yongnuo 560, 685, 600 help

Marm ­ O. ­ Set
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 12, 2018 19:14 |  #1

I'm hoping to pic a few brains here.
I have a bunch of 560 III's and IV's that I use with my 560 TX. I love them, no issues there.

For wedding receptions I would love to strobe the entire room on a low-powered manual with my III/IV units but have a TTL flash (TTL to account for the ever-changing exposure, FOV, and subject distance) on my camera and use it to radio fire the 560s. I can't really leave the 560s on optical slave because other people will be taking photos and accidentally activating my flashes.

I have a 685 on the way but haven't ever messed with them before. My understanding is that the 685 will not master; is this correct? So I can't have the 685 on TTL AND use it to fire the 560s? Do I need to use one of those pass through TTL cords LIKE THIS ONE FROM B&H (external link) and mount the 685 on top? I'd love a more elegant solution than this. The 685 looks like it has one of those clamp style locking feet... the YN600 EX RT has the same and I never have been a fan of that design. It isn't tight enough for my taste. I'm afraid that adding something in between the flash and the camera will only make it wobblier.

I have used the YN600 EX RT II a bit but I like the simpler menu navigation of the 560s and the ability to remotely zoom is a huge bonus. Having said that, I think the YN 600 will do exactly what I want. Is this correct? Do I need to bite the bullet and buy more 600s?

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance...

inkista
569 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited 5 days ago by inkista.

Jul 13, 2018 00:30 |  #2

TL;DR dump your Yongnuo gear. Get Godox. But you may have to give up remote zoom control (tradeoff: you'll get HSS and a lot more elbow room for expansion).

Marm O. Set wrote in post #18661494 (external link)
... I have a 685 on the way but haven't ever messed with them before. My understanding is that the 685 will not master; is this correct?

Yes. It's only a 622 radio slave and does not have master capability in it.

...So I can't have the 685 on TTL AND use it to fire the 560s?

No, you can't. And the only way to get the 622 system to fire 560s is to use 603 mode, which then makes the 685 act like a 560, so no TTL. You might be able to put a 622 on the hotshoe, stack a YN-685 on the passthrough hotshoe and still fire the 560s, but if you don't want to sandwich a trigger, then the Godox system (external link) would be a much nicer, far more expandable setup and in the Godox X system, you can use the on-camera TTL speedlight to trigger off-camera manual-only $65 speedlights.

Godox's system is missing a few features the Yongnuo system has: remote zoom control is far more limited (doesn't work with manual-only flashes only the TTL ones, and only if Zoom on the flash is set to Auto and you're using an XPro transmitter), and there's no remote wake-up. And you can't use one unit as both a shutter release receiver and a flash transmitter. But. Unlike using YN-560-TX and YN-560 III/IV, you will have HSS over radio. The Godox TT600 is a single-pin manual-only flash with a built-in radio transceiver. Like a YN-560 III/IV, it can be remote power controlled and fired from a Godox transmitter unit. The Godox TT685 is a TTL/HSS capable speedlight with a built-in radio transceiver that can be used as a TTL/HSS radio master on the hotshoe to the TT600s. The TT600 also has a Li-on version, the V850II; and the TT685 has one, the V860II. These li-on versions are identical to their AA-powered counterparts, except for not having an external battery pack port, since the rechargeable li-on battery pack they use basically takes the place of an external pack, lasting roughly 2.5x as long as 4xAAs. This can greatly simplify battery handling if you're an all-day event shooter.

The TT600 is $65; the V850II is $140. The TT685 is $110; the V860II is $180. And getting them from Adorama or B&H will give you a full 1 year warranty, covered by Adorama or B&H, which means for support you're communicating with someone in NYC, not getting your emails to Shenzhen ignored. :)

In addition to having TTL/manual-only gear that works together, the Godox system also includes larger bare bulb flashes and studio strobes. And, when used as off-camera radio slaves, the lights in the system can system switch to any of the five supported camera flash systems: Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, and MFT. So, if you need to share lights with a different-system shooter or you add mirrorless gear to your SLR gear, you don't need to rebuy lights; just the on-camera transmitter unit. For example, I have a TT685C which I can use in TTL/HSS on-camera with my 5DMkII, and off-camera with my Canon 5DMkII and Godox Xpro-C transmitter as a TTL/HSS/power controlled radio slave. And as a TTL/HSS/power controlled slave to my Fuji X100T and Godox XPro-F transmitter. And as a TTL/HSS/power controlled slave to my Panasonic GX-7 and Godox XPro-O transmitter.

The XPro transmitter has a few more functions than a TT685/V860II as a radio master, such as TCM (TTL convert to Manual; a kind of way to lock in the power TTL sets by converting it to an M power ratio setting).

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

Marm ­ O. ­ Set
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 13, 2018 06:27 |  #3

WOW. Thread over.
Thanks for the detailed reply and link for further reading!!!
This is exactly what I am looking for!

I already have an XPLOR600 and the R2 (non-Pro) transmitter and have griped about not having it tied into my Speedlite system. I had NO IDEA Godox was doing all this... totally wish I had known sooner.

Time to go place an expensive order :)

Thanks again for the detailed response, much appreciated!

inkista
569 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 13, 2018 14:22 as a reply to  @ Marm O. Set's post |  #4

You're welcome. That huge Flash Havoc article is actually in three parts, btw. It used to be one, but it got so big Elv split it up with separate pages for the lights (external link) and the triggers (external link).

Using a V860II or TT685 as your on-camera speedlight does have some drawbacks, compared to using an OEM speedlight (stiffer head rotation putting more torque on the foot, TTL consistency/accuracy may not be as good, and AF assist can be problematic, depending on the camera model. But with the V860II, the reduction of 12xAA to one battery pack, and the ability to radio control larger off-camera strobes mostly seem to make up for it. Nikon users only just got a firmware update for their TT685-N/V860II-N (external link) to fix an issue with the AF assist lamp with slow shutter speeds. This stuff ain't perfect, but it's perfectly usable.

There is some rumored behind-the-scenes campaigning going on to get Godox to up their game to pro requirements, and they seem to be responding from the top down (e.g., the AD600 Pro and recent AD400 Pro announcement). But they haven't yet created any Pro versions of the speedlights.

The flashhavoc blog (external link) is a good place to keep up with all things Godox. :)

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

115 views & 2 likes for this thread
Yongnuo 560, 685, 600 help
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.