Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
Thread started 11 Jul 2018 (Wednesday) 08:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Aurora HDR 2018 revisited

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 13, 2018 07:58 |  #16

Stiga wrote in post #18661710 (external link)
But I can say now that it certainly knocks the so-called market leader (Photomatix) off its perch!

Over the years it has seemed to me that Photomatix, as an app, was never really totally redesigned to meet changing needs and users. Each update was either patches, or wedges of things stuck into an existing (and unchanged) old and tired framework. Photomatix is now a horrible patchwork of subroutines with no clear and cohesive workflow.

At one time Photomatix was without a doubt the undisputed leader and benchmark in the sector. They no longer are, but apparently continue to act so - almost in total denial there are other better competitors now in the market.

Thanks for your heads-up and info on Aurora. Good post - good stuff. Skylum and Luminar are new to me because I have never even pressed a key on a Mac. So I was hesitant to trust the new player on the Windows court. It appears they may be a talented and valid player. With your info I may give them a try. I already have luminar - Adobe's software rental marketing strategy forced that. I may now give Aurora a try.

Website (external link) |

sponsored links
Stiga
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,815 posts
Gallery: 827 photos
Joined Dec 2015

Jul 13, 2018 08:48 |  #17

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #18661769 (external link)
Over the years it has seemed to me that Photomatix, as an app, was never really totally redesigned to meet changing needs and users. Each update was either patches, or wedges of things stuck into an existing (and unchanged) old and tired framework. Photomatix is now a horrible patchwork of subroutines with no clear and cohesive workflow.

At one time Photomatix was without a doubt the undisputed leader and benchmark in the sector. They no longer are, but apparently continue to act so - almost in total denial there are other better competitors now in the market.

Thanks for your heads-up and info on Aurora. Good post - good stuff. Skylum and Luminar are new to me because I have never even pressed a key on a Mac. So I was hesitant to trust the new player on the Windows court. It appears they may be a talented and valid player. With your info I may give them a try. I already have luminar - Adobe's software rental marketing strategy forced that. I may now give Aurora a try.

Many thanks for joining the discussion. I agree with you that Geraldine Joffre (Photomatix creator and MD) is in denial. She failed to listen to constructive criticism when version 5 was released. When version 6 came out, there was little reaction from the critics.

Aurora is certainly worth looking at.

Martin
I'm not a gear guy but I have a tons of software :-)

Stiga
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,815 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Jul 13, 2018 09:13 |  #18

Alignment.

Until today I have no issues with image alignment when using Aurora. But this hand-held fading sunset certainly found a flaw. Image alignment was ticked and ghost reduction set to "medium" before tonemapping and I used the Basic Realistic preset. Obviously, atmospheric haze degraded resolution of the distant hills and Aurora struggled.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Then I had a second attempt and set deghosting the "high". This improved the result but if you look at the sky, some of the little clouds are not aligned.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

SNS-HDR permed well with this image set
IMAGE: https://i.imgur.com/428ZxQ3.jpg

Martin

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 13, 2018 11:49 |  #19

Hmmmmm. That's a problem. I have always had problems with clouds because of their lack of defined edges, but photomatix has always solved the problem.

A huge demerit for Aurora for me personally because I shoot landscapes.

How about using aurora to do the tonemapping work, then as a last step use the best sky exposure, overlay it, then brush / mask it in?

UK_MARK
Goldmember
1,198 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 13, 2018 12:00 |  #20

Martin nice of you to take the time to post your findings, But i think i will be sticking with SNS n Photomatix.
If you can find me a program that deghost's as well as photomatix and gives the realistic results of SNS i am all ears buddy.:-):-):-)

My Flickr (external link)
Gear- - Canon 6D - Canon 17-40L - Sigma 150-600 DG OS HSM C - Sigma 105 F2.8 OS Macro - Canon EF 40mm F2.8 STM - Sigma 24-105 F4 ART -Sigma TC 1401- Lee filter system.

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited 7 months ago by Picture North Carolina.

Jul 13, 2018 12:28 |  #21

Stiga wrote in post #18661794 (external link)
I agree with you that Geraldine Joffre (Photomatix creator and MD) is in denial.

Not much to say here except this exemplifies weak leadership. Both Skylum and Serif have strong visions about their products. Not only their products, but both also have a strong vision of a big ol' bullseye painted on Adobe's back. And even the leadership of ON1 has a vision (well... somewhat).

HDRsoft had an opportunity to maintain their leadership roll and passed it by. They continued to rely on a reputation they thought they had but did not. IMPO, I think it is now too late. I truly feel that Photomatix will slowly fade into irrelevance like Oloneo did. We'll see.

Edit: again, thanks for the info. I'll probably pull the trigger on Aurora after I become proficient with Benz's Lumenzia.

UK_MARK
Goldmember
1,198 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 13, 2018 13:11 |  #22

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #18661966 (external link)
I truly feel that Photomatix will slowly fade into irrelevance like Oloneo did.

Jeeeez that is a blast from the past, I remember when Oloneo came out and every one was raving about it lol.

Gear- - Canon 6D - Canon 17-40L - Sigma 150-600 DG OS HSM C - Sigma 105 F2.8 OS Macro - Canon EF 40mm F2.8 STM - Sigma 24-105 F4 ART -Sigma TC 1401- Lee filter system.

Stiga
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,815 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Jul 13, 2018 13:18 |  #23

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #18661918 (external link)
Hmmmmm. That's a problem. I have always had problems with clouds because of their lack of defined edges, but photomatix has always solved the problem.

A huge demerit for Aurora for me personally because I shoot landscapes.

How about using aurora to do the tonemapping work, then as a last step use the best sky exposure, overlay it, then brush / mask it in?

Yes, my shots are mainly landscapes too so it is an issue for me too. My example may be a one off, I have not processed enough images to be sure.

However you can do what you want in Aurora; have a look at this Youtube Video (external link)

Martin

Stiga
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,815 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Jul 13, 2018 13:20 |  #24

UK_MARK wrote in post #18661932 (external link)
Martin nice of you to take the time to post your findings, But i think i will be sticking with SNS n Photomatix.
If you can find me a program that deghost's as well as photomatix and gives the realistic results of SNS i am all ears buddy.:-):-):-)

Mark, I may come to the same conclusion and the end of my 2 week trial - even though I hate the Photmnatix interface.

Martin

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 13, 2018 14:22 |  #25

UK_MARK wrote in post #18661932 (external link)
If you can find me a program that deghost's as well as photomatix

Yep, gotta' agree here. I have not been a fan of Photomatix for quite some time but one thing they still do best is deghosting. Martin's aurora failure with the clouds could probably be handled easily by photomatix.

What skylum needs to do is recruit and steal away the coder who created the deghosting for photomatix. A slight change in the algorithm might prevent patent / copyright issues. Aurora with a deghosting feature like that would be a giant killer.

UK_MARK
Goldmember
1,198 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 13, 2018 18:44 |  #26

I quite like photomatix esp the latest version, My only crit is the way it tends to over sat colours esp greens n reds but it is easily rectified in post in a few secs.:-)

russellsnr2
Goldmember
1,028 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 14, 2018 01:19 |  #27

Hi Again, I have to agree with others that Skylum seem to be more interested in promoting there softwares than actually listening to those customers who have already purchaed them. OK I no this thread is about taking a second look at Aurora HDR and I have tried it, infact I bought it and now feel I wasted my money. Some comments on Photomatix also here but again there deghosting option/s work better than any other HDR software I have tried. I like many actually do is to run images through Photomatix for de-ghosting and save as a Radiance RGBE or OpenEXR file and then take it into SNS-HDR for output. As I stated I have both Aurora HDR and also Luminar for Windows OS but have ended up going back to my Lightroom 6, Photoshop CS6, Photomatix and SNS-HDR while both Skylum softwares are un-installed. Everyone will have there own thoughts on whatever software they use but have to say 'If It Aint Broke Don't Fix It'.
Russ.

Many Thanks,
Russell.

jeffh942
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2017

Jul 14, 2018 04:26 as a reply to  @ Stiga's post |  #28

Thanks for taking the time Martin. I still use SNS most of the time, but I will give this one a shot.

Stiga
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,815 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Jul 14, 2018 07:14 |  #29

jeffh942 wrote in post #18662397 (external link)
Thanks for taking the time Martin. I still use SNS most of the time, but I will give this one a shot.

Hi Jeff, thanks for joining in. Yes, have a go with Aurora by all means. I'd be interested to see your reactions.

Martin

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 14, 2018 08:37 |  #30

If anybody is involved with the Skylum forums, ask them about the deghosting failure with clouds with soft edges and see if they are working on it or plan to solve it. Post it here, I would be interested in their goals.

Oloneo was mentioned as a blast from the past. To be honest, for those who remember I believe it was oloneo's failure to get deghosting right which eventually sunk them. Will aurora suffer the save fate?

sponsored links

2,670 views & 11 likes for this thread
Aurora HDR 2018 revisited
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.