Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 16 Jul 2018 (Monday) 09:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Long time member looking for help.

this thread is locked
Jules4098
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jul 2018

Jul 18, 2018 10:44 as a reply to  @ post 18665281 |  #16

replying to Hogloff

Why don't you pick your ass off this forum and get a life.

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,801 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 18, 2018 10:53 |  #17

Jules4098 wrote in post #18665304 (external link)
replying to Hogloff

strong first post.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
1,619 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2016
Post edited 2 months ago by -Duck-.

Jul 18, 2018 11:18 |  #18

urbanfreestyle wrote in post #18665286 (external link)
I have worked since i was 14, the longest i have been out of work for was 1 week when i came back from working overseas, i donate my time to cover charity events, i train guide dogs. I have dealt with family deaths, a wife who has severe depression, i work a full time job (7:30am - 8pm) and i keep smiling through it all despite having a few mental breakdowns (yes the cut arm in the depression and anxiety project is real and mine)

I like to think i am a good person.

Might be worth knowing someone before going there.

This and everything you said in the previous posts justifying your actions may be true but that is not how it is coming across. I also think you are missing the points stated. It is true, we do not know you, therefore we have to appraise you by what you present and you have read my assessment of you. You may not agree with that assessment but hopefully you can see the disconnect here. I made the comment about entitlement because that is how you came across. I made the comment about dismissiveness because that is how you came across. This community has nothing vested in you and can only react to what you present. Instead on being on the defensive because you feel you are being attacked personally you should be asking why it seems the community is rallying against you.

I don't know you. I could care less about you. There was nothing personal about my comment. It was merely a reaction to what I read in this post. Consider this my version of a sidewalk handout, though it is advice rather than money.

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photography (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)

urbanfreestyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,029 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jul 18, 2018 11:27 |  #19

I appreciate your explanation of how you have seen me coming across, I am not a person that normally asks for help (stubborn) but sometimes i do.
I would be curious as to what i have asked / stated in my campaign that has made people think that i feel i am owed something.
Was there particular wording i could have better used to explain my difference of opinion and not a beg but a request for support?
(i understand this reply could be read with sarcasm being the undertone but it is a sinceer question)

Facebook (external link)
My Gofundme Campaign (external link)
Fuji XE1 | Fuji 18-55 f2.8 | Helios 44/m | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,114 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 18, 2018 11:47 |  #20

urbanfreestyle wrote in post #18665333 (external link)
Was there particular wording i could have better used to explain my difference of opinion and not a beg but a request for support?
(i understand this reply could be read with sarcasm being the undertone but it is a sinceer question)

I think people reacted, first of all, to your original request itself, not the wording. Many POTN members hold off buying expensive gear that would help them move forward, but they don't ask for donations here. They talk about saving up for their next lens, or cutting expenses somewhere else, or getting a raise next year . . . Budgeting and making purchases are regarded as a personal responsibility (keep in mind that I'm American; our national culture stresses individualism).

Then you've responded defensively to posts criticizing your request as inappropriate and suggesting other ways to get where you want to go. That doesn't help.

Being a good person, doing charitable work yourself, is great. It just doesn't translate into being entitled to receive something. Neither does having sources of unhappiness in your life. I'm sorry, there's no natural compensation for events that cause suffering. Believe me, I have plenty of reasons to think about such things.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

-Duck-
1,619 posts
Joined Apr 2016
Post edited 2 months ago by -Duck-. (3 edits in all)

Jul 18, 2018 11:51 |  #21

urbanfreestyle wrote in post #18665333 (external link)
I appreciate your explanation of how you have seen me coming across, I am not a person that normally asks for help (stubborn) but sometimes i do.
I would be curious as to what i have asked / stated in my campaign that has made people think that i feel i am owed something.

No, it came across sincere enough. :)

It's not any particular wording, per se, but the overall expectation that a community who struggles with gear funding will dismiss their own needs over yours. Specially since there is no "hardship" associated with your request. For an example, look up Tony and Chelsea Northrup's recent donation to a physically handicapped girl whose dream is to be a photographer. In that case she had a need someone else identified which moved people to take action.

Secondly, Dan, a seasoned photographer identified several legitimate and solid deficiencies in your work that need immediate attention that no new camera will ever fix. Several other members supported his assessment and you felt it best to cherry pick his suggestions. His assessment, as he stated, came from observing your work. You do not show the qualifications to dismiss his effort to help in that manner. By casually dismissing one pro you are systematically alienating every other pro here. It boils down to, "if he doesn't respect solid advice, why should I fund his endeavors?"

In all, it's not what you said but what you didn't say. More importantly, what was said between the lines.

Hope this clears some things up.

Unitas Photography (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)

-Duck-
1,619 posts
Joined Apr 2016

Jul 18, 2018 11:55 |  #22

OhLook wrote in post #18665342 (external link)
[...]
Being a good person, doing charitable work yourself, is great. It just doesn't translate into being entitled to receive something. Neither does having sources of unhappiness in your life. I'm sorry, there's no natural compensation for events that cause suffering. Believe me, I have plenty of reasons to think about such things.

So true. You (OP) are not the only one with scars.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 18, 2018 12:19 |  #23
bannedBack in 5 months

gjl711 wrote in post #18665283 (external link)
This is getting personal. If you don't want to donate, move along. No need to beat the guy up.

Well it is personal. He’s asking for my money and i’m giving him my advice.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 18, 2018 12:21 |  #24
bannedBack in 5 months

Jules4098 wrote in post #18665304 (external link)
replying to Hogloff

I’ve picked my ass off, worked hard all my life and earned my retirement at 57. I now deserve to sit on my ass all I want...and I don’t ask for anyone to fund my hobby.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 18, 2018 12:37 |  #25
bannedBack in 5 months

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18665310 (external link)
strong first post.

Given that this account was just created my bets it’s the OP hiding behind another account.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,934 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined May 2002
Post edited 2 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Jul 18, 2018 12:41 |  #26

This tactic might work, I tried this and made enough to get batteries for my flashes, so anything is possible! :lol:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,934 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 2 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Jul 18, 2018 12:41 as a reply to  @ Hogloff's post |  #27

Thought the same when it was posted and reported it....

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Chet
my rates fluctuate
42,887 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 18, 2018 12:43 |  #28

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18665370 (external link)
Thought the same when it was posted and reported it....

Hey I did as well.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,934 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 2 months ago by TeamSpeed. (6 edits in all)

Jul 18, 2018 12:51 |  #29

Reading the request being made, I am questioning the equipment being sought and the reason. It sounds like more a request for money to generally live on than for gear. If one is struggling to raise money to eat and generally live, then how will funds be managed to buy gear? Won't funds always go to the necessary expenses first, thus leaving nothing left for gear? There are millions of folks that are scraping by, and would love to have money for whatever hobby they love most, or to open up a channel of income from scratch. This is a sad but true state of affairs for most folks, which is probably the cause of many of the replies here.

Also, regarding gear, I am not sure a 1D3 and 50-500 is going to be a great set up for what is being shot. 50mm on that lens is just okay, it's definitely the weakest part of the Sigma lens. Also a 1D3 with just 10Mpx isn't giving enough latitude in either low light shooting or cropability.

Just based on the equipment alone being sought after, I wouldn't donate because I feel those are the wrong tools, personally. The results just won't be any better really I feel. At least 2 lenses will be needed, along with a camera with more resolution to combat noise and extend cropability.

The most I can offer at this point to help would be a poignant prayer. Things will get better, and if you work a few "charitable" events for business or individuals to get your name out there more, I am sure paying opportunities will invariably follow.

-Duck-
1,619 posts
Joined Apr 2016

Jul 18, 2018 13:05 |  #30

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18665376 (external link)
Reading the request being made, I am questioning the equipment being sought and the reason. It sounds like more a request for money to generally live on than for gear. If one is struggling to raise money to eat and generally live, then how will funds be managed to buy gear? Won't funds always go to the necessary expenses first, thus leaving nothing left for gear?

Also, I am not sure a 1D3 and 50-500 is going to be a great set up for what is being shot. 50mm on that lens is just okay, it's definitely the weakest part of the Sigma lens. Also a 1D3 with just 10Mpx isn't giving enough latitude in either low light shooting or cropability.

Just based on the equipment alone being sought after, I wouldn't donate because I feel those are the wrong tools, personally.

Hmm.. I didn't even get that far.

I agree, the Sigma (Bigma) isn't the best lens based on what he is looking to shoot. I have Sigma's 120-400mm lens and I never use it at events, preferring the Canon 70-200mm for greater versatility and better image quality. That 50-500mm has serious vignetting on the far end. According to some reviews, the noticeably best quality is at f/11 so it's definitely an outdoor only lens.

As for camera, I'd take my 6D over a 1D3 any time. And the OP can probably find a comparable deal on a used one.

sponsored links

1,340 views & 35 likes for this thread
Long time member looking for help.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.