Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 04 Jul 2018 (Wednesday) 12:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can't convert Canon Raw to JPG

PokerTzar
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jul 2018

Jul 04, 2018 12:13 |  #1

Hi Guys. New to this forum, so hi!

What has brought me here is a problem. I bought a Canon 6D mark II a few months ago and have been shooting in JPG very happily. I have tried shooting in Raw - which works fine on-camera - but when I try to convert Raw to JPG on my computer using UFRAW or PhotoScape, I get an output that you can see in the uploaded image.

I haven't posted two images here. The output is actually a double image.

I went to the camera shop where I bought my camera and discovered that it was not a problem specific to my camera but it also happened with their in-shop 6Dii too. The guys in the shop had no idea what was causing it.

I was wondering what could have gone wrong. What solutions are there? Would this happen if I used Photoshop? I would like to get it sorted as I accidentally shot all my friends 50th birthday photos in Raw (about 150 or so) so I would like to get it sorted.

Cheers guys.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,962 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 04, 2018 12:27 |  #2

My first suggestion would be to install Canon's DPP software and use that. It is great for those who don't really want to process RAW files since being Canon's proprietary software the default conversion honours all of your in camera settings, something no other software can do.DPP is actually quite a good choice for a converter for Canon images in it's Version 4 form.

As to your specific problem my guess would be that the software you have doesn't support the 6DII and so it is reading both the RAW image data and the JPEG preview out and consulting them.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,232 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Jul 04, 2018 19:49 |  #3

Yep, try DPP. Welcome to POTN.

Mark

Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,018 posts
Gallery: 346 photos
Joined May 2008

Jul 04, 2018 22:07 |  #4

I never heard of UFRAW, so went to its website and noticed that the 6D II is not in the list (external link) of supported cameras.

As others have said, use the software that came with your camera, DPP 4.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,326 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 05, 2018 00:13 |  #5

Video #3 - Editing images. At about minute 9 it tells you how to convert and save.

http://www.learn.usa.c​anon.com …ials/dpp4_tutor​ials.shtml (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,894 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 05, 2018 01:44 |  #6

PokerTzar wrote in post #18656262 (external link)
What has brought me here is a problem. I bought a Canon 6D mark II a few months ago and have been shooting in JPG very happily. I have tried shooting in Raw - which works fine on-camera - but when I try to convert Raw to JPG on my computer using UFRAW or PhotoScape, I get an output that you can see in the uploaded image.

You probably know this already, but just in case you don't, I thought I'd mention it:

You need to use a program that can read RAW files when you download the photos onto your computer. . My guess is that you aren't downloading the photos into a RAW compatible program (a.k.a. RAW converter).

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

PokerTzar
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jul 2018

Jul 05, 2018 13:37 |  #7

Thanks Guys. You've been really helpful. Thankfully, I found a quick fix. On the Canon 6D ii, it is possible to convert CRAW to JPG before downloading to computer.

I will get hold of Canon DPP as soon as I have some time.

See you all soon, hopefully.

bpiper7
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 05, 2018 13:50 |  #8

PokerTzar wrote in post #18656861 (external link)
Thanks Guys. You've been really helpful. Thankfully, I found a quick fix. On the Canon 6D ii, it is possible to convert CRAW to JPG before downloading to computer.

I suspect that converting in camera and downloading is not getting you any benefit from shooting RAW. Continue to shoot in jpg until you get to a point where you can do a conversion on the computer. You're just needlessly complicating things.

Bill

billpiperphotos.com (external link)
Gear: 60D - 400D - 15-85 EF-S, 55-250 EF-S,18-55mm EF-S, EF, 50mm 1.8 and more stuff .

Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,018 posts
Gallery: 346 photos
Joined May 2008

Jul 05, 2018 14:07 |  #9

bpiper7 wrote in post #18656867 (external link)
I suspect that converting in camera and downloading is not getting you any benefit from shooting RAW. Continue to shoot in jpg until you get to a point where you can do a conversion on the computer. You're just needlessly complicating things.

I didn't realize, but it seems possible to do limited photo editing in the 6D2. See link (external link). Still seems kludgy, though.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

PokerTzar
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jul 2018

Jul 08, 2018 03:11 as a reply to  @ Archibald's post |  #10

Yes Archibald. It is limited in terms of what you can do and also in terms of the size of the image you have to work with (the screen on the camera).

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,522 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 08, 2018 06:52 as a reply to  @ PokerTzar's post |  #11

Welcome and the only thing I’ll mention is your camera should have come with a CD that has DPP already on it . Just use it to intall on your computer if you have not done so already cause CD usually at some point will have you to attach your camera to your computer during installation .

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,821 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 19, 2018 20:18 |  #12

PokerTzar wrote in post #18656861 (external link)

If you are converting to JPEG in camera then you are completely bypassing all of raw's advantages and are no better off then if you shot in JPEG to begin with. Does your software read Adobe .DNG files? If so you can download an Adobe converter for free and convert your raw .cr2 files to .DNG which is Adobe proprietary raw format. I'm not familiar with a Canon CRAW file size designation, but unless size is an issue for you, I would shoot full sized raw files.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

sponsored links

1,292 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can't convert Canon Raw to JPG
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.