Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 23 Jul 2018 (Monday) 05:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Moving back to Canon!?!?

urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,046 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jul 23, 2018 05:41 |  #1

Hi all, So just wanted a quick 2nd opinion.
I have been an avid Canon fan for years. I have had the pleasure of owning and shooting with various L lenses (24-70 and 100-400) and many bodies (350D, 700D, 1Dmk2, 1Dmk2N, 1Dmk3, 5Dmk2 etc...
Then took the jump and moved over to Sony mirrorless with the A6000, I loved it but it still didnt make me quite happy. I now shoot with a Fuji X-E1 and 18-55 f2.8 lens which i am totally in love with along with some vintage m42 glass.

Now i am looking at going back into equine and motorsport photography and i have shot a little with my Fuji but it has a hard time (so do i)

So..... now i am looking at moving back to Canon, I have pretty much narrowed it down to 1Dmk3 (as it is perfect, i have owned it, rugged and i know i can get great results. However, someone threw a spanner in the works and recomended the 7D mk2.. they both seem to be selling around the £400-500 mark body only.

I know the 7D has more mpix etc. but i can honestly say that 10 is enough.
the long battery life and build quality has always attracted me to the 1D series and the AF is fantastic.

I will be coupling the camera with either a Sigma 50-500 (again because i have owned one and thoroughly enjoyed it) or the much fancier Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS (mk1 not mk2)

Anyone shed any advice on what they personally would chose and why?

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

sponsored links
john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,469 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 23, 2018 05:59 |  #2

urbanfreestyle wrote in post #18668510 (external link)
Hi all, So just wanted a quick 2nd opinion.
I have been an avid Canon fan for years. I have had the pleasure of owning and shooting with various L lenses (24-70 and 100-400) and many bodies (350D, 700D, 1Dmk2, 1Dmk2N, 1Dmk3, 5Dmk2 etc...
Then took the jump and moved over to Sony mirrorless with the A6000, I loved it but it still didnt make me quite happy. I now shoot with a Fuji X-E1 and 18-55 f2.8 lens which i am totally in love with along with some vintage m42 glass.

Now i am looking at going back into equine and motorsport photography and i have shot a little with my Fuji but it has a hard time (so do i)

So..... now i am looking at moving back to Canon, I have pretty much narrowed it down to 1Dmk3 (as it is perfect, i have owned it, rugged and i know i can get great results. However, someone threw a spanner in the works and recomended the 7D mk2.. they both seem to be selling around the £400-500 mark body only.

I know the 7D has more mpix etc. but i can honestly say that 10 is enough.
the long battery life and build quality has always attracted me to the 1D series and the AF is fantastic.

I will be coupling the camera with either a Sigma 50-500 (again because i have owned one and thoroughly enjoyed it) or the much fancier Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS (mk1 not mk2)

Anyone shed any advice on what they personally would chose and why?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Football is a very simple game. Twenty-two players chase a ball and Germany always win.

urbanfreestyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,046 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jul 23, 2018 06:23 as a reply to  @ john crossley's post |  #3

This time i am keeping my Fuji for street and some portraits, but getting the Canon for the sports side.
the price of decent glass for fuji and sony is crazy. Perhaps i should just keep all my cameras! :-)

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,488 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 10 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Jul 23, 2018 07:48 |  #4

Following John Crosley's post :D 2015:

urbanfreestyle wrote in post #17595226 (external link)
So i have now been through the following:
350D
700D
1D Mark IIN
5D Mark II

I have been thinking yanno what? i need to settle on a camera i like and that works for me...
So the question.... Do i sell the 5D Mark II and get a 1D Mark III or a 7D Mark I?

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17595342 (external link)
part of me wonders if you hadn't changed bodies so often if you might have the money for a 7DII? after selling your other two cameras at least.

IMO, either save up some cash and get the 7DII, or either of the 1D Mark III or a 7D Mark I would do the trick for now. My guess is that if you go with the used camera now, you will be buying a used 7DII in a year or so and probably end up spending the same amount of money.

urbanfreestyle wrote in post #17595361 (external link)
haha true, at the moment money is tight so that is why i would only be able to use the money i get from my 5D :-(

I can't comment on Fuji, but the difference between 10 and 20 MP is HUGE. I think you'd be foolish to not go for the newer camera,

Canon is putting the new 24mp higher DR sensor in a lot of new cameras, all the way down to the SL2/200D. I would have a real hard time buying a camera with the older tech right now, and I am neither a pixel peeper nor someone who is often boosting exposure in post.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

urbanfreestyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,046 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jul 23, 2018 08:10 |  #5

yep i change camera bodies a lot, i like something new and shiny to play with.. perhaps i should get a few rolls of tin foil to play with too.
So over all the consensus is the 7DII is the better option?

Facebook (external link)

butterfly2937
Cream of the Crop
6,964 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 23, 2018 08:39 |  #6

It all depends on your goals. If you liked the 1D3 you would be absolutely blown away by the 1DXII. It would do everything for you in one stellar camera body. Rent one and give it a try. If you are use to the 1D series you owe it to yourself to see what the newest bodies offer. I think you will be very pleased and only have one body that can do it all.

urbanfreestyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,046 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jul 23, 2018 08:44 as a reply to  @ butterfly2937's post |  #7

Thanks for the reply. I loved the 1D3 and took some amazing images with it, I fear that the 1DXII or even simply 1DX would be out of budget.
My goals are to get a camera that will take a bit of a beating at equine events, weather sealed, decent FPS and buffer, good AF and reasonable battery life. Budget wise i was looking towards the 400-600 mark (although i have seen a nice 1DIV for 800) I may rent a 1DXII and 70-200 2.8 IS II for a weekend just so i can salavate over it.

What i would like to do is keep my X-E1 and use vintage glass for street and have a 'sports' set for doing my equine / motorsport work.

Facebook (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,125 posts
Gallery: 87 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 29, 2018 14:54 |  #8

Buying a used 1dmk3 is very risky IMO. I had one and it was the worst Canon I've ever owned. It had orange blume on bright sunny days, AWB was not very good and it had the mirror assembly defect. Had the entire camera gutted by Canon and it was marginally better but a current 7mk2 would put that body to severe shame. 10MP is really lacking with the current 20-24MP aps-c crop sensors available these days.

For the canon world you really dont have alot of options. The 7dmk2 is really your current alternative for crop body prosumer performance. The 80D is pretty close to the performance but it has 1 memory card slot so that's something I would NEVER consider for hired work.

You can buy a Fuji X-t2 at a reasonable price now. You'd be stuck with a 50-140mm or 100-400. That would work well. The 100-400 is a "good light" only lens in my opinion if you want to have great IQ with no motion blur. On the other hand there are plenty of Fuji users finding Fuji to work for their needs.

If you could manage a 1dx or 1dxmk2 you'll be able to use f/2.8 constant aperture zooms and get more shallow dof , better high iso performance, improved dynamic range and have more options to 3rd party brand lenses like Tamron, Sigma, tokina etc.

For long distance photography you can spray and pray a lot of camera brands. If the buffer keeps up you'll have keepers and the dof on the long end of super telezooms will give you plenty of dof to land sharp images.

You can pick your poison :)

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

urbanfreestyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,046 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jul 30, 2018 05:48 |  #9

AlanU wrote in post #18673226 (external link)
Buying a used 1dmk3 is very risky IMO. I had one and it was the worst Canon I've ever owned. It had orange blume on bright sunny days, AWB was not very good and it had the mirror assembly defect. Had the entire camera gutted by Canon and it was marginally better but a current 7mk2 would put that body to severe shame. 10MP is really lacking with the current 20-24MP aps-c crop sensors available these days.

For the canon world you really dont have alot of options. The 7dmk2 is really your current alternative for crop body prosumer performance. The 80D is pretty close to the performance but it has 1 memory card slot so that's something I would NEVER consider for hired work.

You can buy a Fuji X-t2 at a reasonable price now. You'd be stuck with a 50-140mm or 100-400. That would work well. The 100-400 is a "good light" only lens in my opinion if you want to have great IQ with no motion blur. On the other hand there are plenty of Fuji users finding Fuji to work for their needs.

If you could manage a 1dx or 1dxmk2 you'll be able to use f/2.8 constant aperture zooms and get more shallow dof , better high iso performance, improved dynamic range and have more options to 3rd party brand lenses like Tamron, Sigma, tokina etc.

For long distance photography you can spray and pray a lot of camera brands. If the buffer keeps up you'll have keepers and the dof on the long end of super telezooms will give you plenty of dof to land sharp images.

You can pick your poison :)

Sorry to hear of your bad experiences with the 1D. I admit i may have been very lucky but never experienced any of those issues, I dont htink 10mp is lacking, i guess it depends what it is being used for. In my understanding it would only be of limitation if printing very large or editing heavily / cropping. (please correct me if i am wrong)

I used to have the Sony A6000 with amazing AF and good burst but i found it difficult shooting with the EVF. I would have preffered optical and the battery life was terrible.

I'ts looking like it might have to be a tough save up for a 1DX.

Facebook (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,488 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 30, 2018 06:12 |  #10

urbanfreestyle wrote:
So over all the consensus is the 7DII is the better option?

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18668568 (external link)
Canon is putting the new 24mp higher DR sensor in a lot of new cameras, all the way down to the SL2/200D. I would have a real hard time buying a camera with the older tech right now, and I am neither a pixel peeper nor someone who is often boosting exposure in post.

80D

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

urbanfreestyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,046 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited 9 months ago by urbanfreestyle.

Jul 30, 2018 06:32 |  #11

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18673591 (external link)
80D

Was just looking at the 80D on the Canon site and it seems to be more aimed at Movies, A lot of features for filming, NFC, Wifi, Articulated screen none of which interest me.
I do note though it does have the weather sealing, decent battery life, better DR and more AF points.

Facebook (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,488 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 30, 2018 06:47 |  #12

urbanfreestyle wrote in post #18673595 (external link)
Was just looking at the 80D on the Canon site and it seems to be more aimed at Movies, A lot of features for filming, NFC, Wifi, Articulated screen none of which interest me.

So do you think those features detract from its ability to do what you will do most often?

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,056 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Jul 30, 2018 09:09 |  #13

Have you considered the Xt-2? You could get it with the grip and a good assortment of glass for the cost of a new 1Dx.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

urbanfreestyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,046 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jul 31, 2018 02:17 |  #14

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18673601 (external link)
So do you think those features detract from its ability to do what you will do most often?

I dont think it will detract but i dont see the point in paying for features i dont need or want. when other cameras will offer more of what i do.

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #18673635 (external link)
Have you considered the Xt-2? You could get it with the grip and a good assortment of glass for the cost of a new 1Dx.

I can't say i have looked at the Fuji, Price wise i am looking at 2nd hand market pricing.

Facebook (external link)

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,200 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 31, 2018 10:51 |  #15

I love the older Canon 1D models starting with the Mk IIN forward. If you mostly shooting for web or anything around 11x14 or lower, they are more than adequate. Rugged. Reliable. And cheap right now. And built like tanks. I see no problems with your plan. Saves a lot of money.... no you won't have bragging rights to coolest camera, but I positive your shots will be just as good as all those with fancy new cameras.

Only area you might have issues is like indoor high school level gyms if you are shooting youth sports. The Mk II and Mk III iso performance isn't great compared to the new cameras. But then again, I still rarely shoot about ISO 800 unless I am desperate. And if your glass is IS, even better.

Good luck with it. Save some money and shoot more....

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

sponsored links

1,757 views & 2 likes for this thread
Moving back to Canon!?!?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.