Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 01 Jul 2018 (Sunday) 12:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

purchased the 100-400L II

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,893 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 23, 2018 09:24 |  #16

saea501 wrote in post #18668608 (external link)
And I would disagree with the comment above about the Canon foot being 'crappy'. Mine surely isn't.

Is there anything that you particularly like about the Canon foot?

........but then I got the only Canon 6D that can focus on moving subjects too......so I must be a really lucky guy. :rolleyes:

My 6D also focuses on moving subjects. . Unfortunately, only the center point really keeps up with the moving subjects, and I have misses when I try to use the outer points for tracking fast motion, which is a bummer because rarely will I ever want a moving subject in the middle of the frame, and I don't like to crop.

But yeah, your 6D isn't the only one that can track moving subjects, if we're talking about the center point.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links
saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,573 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 23, 2018 12:19 |  #17

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18668620 (external link)
Is there anything that you particularly like about the Canon foot?

What I like is that it does what it's designed to do. Holds the lens to a tripod or my Black Rapid. What more does it need to do? You certainly don't need to throw $200 at it to correct some perceived 'crappiness'.

Unless, of course, that just makes your head feel better. Then by all means.........

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,893 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 23, 2018 12:41 |  #18

saea501 wrote in post #18668739 (external link)
What I like is that it does what it's designed to do. Holds the lens to a tripod or my Black Rapid.

Well ..... mine doesn't hold the lens to my tripods, because it is not compatible with the heads that I use, but I can mount a speed plate to it, and then the speed plate will mount to the tripod head. . I think the complaint that the OP and others have with it is that it is not compatible with the most commonly used mounting system, and needs an "adapter" in order to mount the lens to the Arca-style heads that they use.

What kind of tripod mount do you use, in which you do not have the need for an Arca-style speed plate? . Does it indeed allow you to mount the foot directly to the tripod head, without any kind of in-between device?

What more does it need to do?

I don't need it to do anything, but it would be nice if it did allow the lens to be mounted to Arca heads without having to buy a separate speed plate. . Having to use adapters to mount one thing to another thing never seems to be quite as good as mounting them to each other directly. . But personally, I like really long speed plates, and if the Canon foot did come with vee grooves machined into it, I doubt that it would be much longer than it is now, so I would end up having to buy a separate speed plate anyway, in order to get the length that I prefer.

It'd also be nice if it had more clearance between itself and the lens, so that it could be more easily used as a carry handle. . I use mine as a carry handle, but it is awkward and uncomfortable because the space is so narrow that it's difficult to get my fingers in there for proper grabbing.

You certainly don't need to throw $200 at it to correct some perceived 'crappiness'.

No, you certainly don't. . I only had to throw about $50 at it in order to get it to mount to my tripod heads. . A nice long Arca speed plate is all it took. . I can use the Canon foot and just mount the speed plate to that, instead of having to get a whole new foot. . Of course, a whole new foot would be much simpler and better, but as you say it could cost as much as $200.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

mcoren
624 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Jul 23, 2018 13:24 |  #19

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18668751 (external link)
I think the complaint that the OP and others have with it is that it is not compatible with the most commonly used mounting system...

Actually, I’d say the plain 1/4”x20 threaded screw is the most commonly used mounting system.

Well ..... mine doesn't hold the lens to my tripods, because it is not compatible with the heads that I use, but I can mount a speed plate to it, and then the speed plate will mount to the tripod head.

And I don’t like this lens because I have to add a camera body to make it take pictures. ;-)a

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,893 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 8 months ago by Tom Reichner. (3 edits in all)

Jul 23, 2018 13:37 |  #20

mcoren wrote in post #18668787 (external link)
Actually, I’d say the plain 1/4”x20 threaded screw is the most commonly used mounting system.

So people actually thread a screw from the tripod to the foot? . That is surprising to me; I have never seen a screw poking out of a tripod head, and didn't know that tripod heads come with 1/4"x20 screws. . I have bought three tripod heads, and all have come with Arca-style clamp systems. . I didn't realize that there were other ways of doing it.

mcoren wrote in post #18668787 (external link)
And I don’t like this lens because I have to add a camera body to make it take pictures. ;-)a

That is not at all similar to what I was saying, and therefore makes for a very poor analogy.

A more fitting analogy would be when someone says, "I don't like this lens because I have to use an adapter to get it to work with my camera - I'd rather use native glass." . . . That is much more akin to what I was saying when I commented about the need for speed plates to go between the foot and the tripod head.

wunhang
726 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Post edited 8 months ago by wunhang. (2 edits in all)

Jul 23, 2018 14:04 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #21

It isn't the head that has the screw, but the legs. The screw is what you would attach your head onto. You can forgo the head and attach the camera/lens/foot to the tripod/monopod leg(s) directly if so desired. You just have to either remove the screw adapter or invert the screw depending on how it is from the manufacturer.

::edit::
Actually, you also have a screw on the head connecting the head to the clamp also - It's how people swap out for different plate systems or switch from a standard screw clamp to a quick release. I assume you can get a male to male screw and use that to attach directly to the head.

Canon 5D IV | Canon 5D II | XSI (Infrared modified) | SL1 | 16-35mm L f/4.0 IS | 24-70mm L f/2.8 II | 40mm f/2.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200mm L f/4.0 IS | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | C/Y 28mm f/2.8 | Tamron 35mm f/1.8 VC | C/Y 50mm f/1.7 | Zeiss 100mm MP
::SmugMug (external link)::

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,893 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 23, 2018 14:44 |  #22

wunhang wrote in post #18668848 (external link)
It isn't the head that has the screw, but the legs. The screw is what you would attach your head onto.

But that screw is typically 3/8" in diameter, not 1/4"x20. . So I don't think we're talking about the same screw.

saea501
6,573 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 23, 2018 14:47 |  #23

Well ..... mine doesn't hold the lens to my tripods, because it is not compatible with the heads that I use, but I can mount a speed plate to it, and then the speed plate will mount to the tripod head. . I think the complaint that the OP and others have with it is that it is not compatible with the most commonly used mounting system, and needs an "adapter" in order to mount the lens to the Arca-style heads that they use.

What kind of tripod mount do you use, in which you do not have the need for an Arca-style speed plate? . Does it indeed allow you to mount the foot directly to the tripod head, without any kind of in-between device?

I don't need it to do anything, but it would be nice if it did allow the lens to be mounted to Arca heads without having to buy a separate speed plate. . Having to use adapters to mount one thing to another thing never seems to be quite as good as mounting them to each other directly. . But personally, I like really long speed plates, and if the Canon foot did come with vee grooves machined into it, I doubt that it would be much longer than it is now, so I would end up having to buy a separate speed plate anyway, in order to get the length that I prefer.

It'd also be nice if it had more clearance between itself and the lens, so that it could be more easily used as a carry handle. . I use mine as a carry handle, but it is awkward and uncomfortable because the space is so narrow that it's difficult to get my fingers in there for proper grabbing.

No, you certainly don't. . I only had to throw about $50 at it in order to get it to mount to my tripod heads. . A nice long Arca speed plate is all it took. . I can use the Canon foot and just mount the speed plate to that, instead of having to get a whole new foot. . Of course, a whole new foot would be much simpler and better, but as you say it could cost as much as $200.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Bob

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,893 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 23, 2018 15:23 |  #24

saea501 wrote in post #18668884 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by saea501 in
./showthread.php?p=186​68884&i=i251684244
forum: Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

You seem to have misunderstood the thoughts and feelings behind my post's words.

saea501
6,573 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 23, 2018 15:29 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #25

Oh no.........I got it.

Bob

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,005 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Jul 23, 2018 16:40 as a reply to  @ post 18668608 |  #26

the foot on the 100-400L II has the rap of being "crappy". I didn't have a problem with mine but I dislike the design of the entire lens collar and I did upgrade to a Kirk foot since I needed a long Arca Swiss plate anyway. after installing the kirk plate I still had some wobble because of loose screws beneath the interface where the foot attaches.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff, sirui

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,005 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Jul 23, 2018 16:42 as a reply to  @ saea501's post |  #27

I paid $80 for a kirk foot, a long arca swiss plate would have cost me about $50. there are many threads about problems with this foot.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff, sirui

chris001
398 posts
Gallery: 209 photos
Joined Dec 2014

Jul 23, 2018 18:15 |  #28

ed rader wrote in post #18668968 (external link)
the foot on the 100-400L II has the rap of being "crappy". I didn't have a problem with mine but I dislike the design of the entire lens collar and I did upgrade to a Kirk foot since I needed a long Arca Swiss plate anyway. after installing the kirk plate I still had some wobble because of loose screws beneath the interface where the foot attaches.

Mine is still fairy new with no wobble. I bought the kirk piece because of the ability to mount. how old is your lens when you swapped to the kirk foot? Did it wobble bad?

Thanks!
Chris
flickr (external link)

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,546 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Joined Jul 2005
Post edited 7 months ago by Choderboy. (3 edits in all)

Jul 23, 2018 18:35 |  #29

I've never seen any tri or monopod that didn't use a 1/4-20 screw.

And I would disagree with the comment above about the Canon foot being 'crappy'. Mine surely isn't.

........but then I got the only Canon 6D that can focus on moving subjects too......so I must be a really lucky guy. :rolleyes:

EDIT: I replied twice, assuming I was the one who said the foot was crappy. I did not, in this thread, but I have elsewhere.

I would not label something crappy without a reason.

Mine failed in a short period of time. The threads in the ring that the 4 x micro screws (2mm!) go into stripped.

If you are unlucky and this happens to you, Canon can supply a new ring, for AU$820. That is ring only, the small plate with the 5mm thread, the 4 screws and the foot are extra.
Then the lens will need to be disassembled to replace the ring. The lens is AU$2500 so that's near enough to 1/3rd the cost of the lens for an incomplete tripod ring that you cannot fit.

So in my opinion, crappy, stupid, rip off and ridiculous are all appropriate descriptions.

Dave
Image editing OK

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,546 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Joined Jul 2005
Post edited 7 months ago by Choderboy.

Jul 23, 2018 18:42 |  #30

However, you say, this has not been a widespread problem, has it?
If it were not to POTN I think it undoubtedly would be.

Now that is my opinion but nobody can state it as fact or fiction. Well, they can, but either way they would be wrong.

I do concede that there was failure on my part, if I had acted on the warnings posted on POTN I could probably have avoided the problems I had.
In a perfect world, Canon could have made the ring and foot the same as the last 50 they made and I would not have needed POTN warnings.

Dave
Image editing OK

sponsored links

2,559 views & 14 likes for this thread
purchased the 100-400L II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.