Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 13 Jul 2018 (Friday) 20:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

LED lights vs Strobes for Studio Portraits

shadowdancer
211 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 13, 2018 20:18 |  #1

My existing 2X400w strobes are due for replacement. I only have a small studio and the stands for the strobes take up valuable room. So I am contemplating getting some ceiling mounted LED lights. The LED lights would have the advantage of providing constant light - so no need to change settings while clients are waiting. However, I am concerned about white balance, shutter speed and related ISO if I go the route of LED lights. Does anyone have recommendations for LED lights that would work well in this situation? Or should I stick with strobes. If I buy new strobes, I would be looking at the Godox 400s.

sponsored links
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,270 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 14, 2018 09:44 |  #2

All I say is that good LED lights aren't cheap. And second that whether lights are strobe or LED, you still need to adjust them.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 14, 2018 12:05 |  #3

Don't have any experience with LED studio lights - but as bobbyz said: good photographic LEDs that have a high CRI are not cheap. Typical LEDs lights have a CRI around 80 which I would not consider sufficient for studio light.

Donate if you love POTN

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,231 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 7 months ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Jul 14, 2018 15:08 |  #4

Just to illustrate what the CRI value does, in terms of accurate color rendition:
We recently upgraded our kitchen with recessed cans with LED emitters. We chose a nominal 4000K temperature unit, having CRI of 92.

I shot a Macbeth Colorchecker card under our kitchen lighting (left) and in bright sunlight (right). Using Lightroom's color balance sample tool to sample the #4 gray patch in bottom row, this is the result...The LED unit's manufacturer claims a nominal 4000K, Lightroom's sampler tool detected 3850K. Eaton Halo LED.

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/POTN%202013%20Post%20Mar1/LED%20WB_zpsrtk0zi7f.jpg

Subtle yet distinguishable difference observed.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jul 17, 2018 02:10 |  #5

Mostly, LEDs are a bit underpowered for portraits. Get enough light and it is often uncomfortably bright for your subjects.

If you are willing to shoot using some combination of wide open, higher ISO, slow shutter speeds you can use LEDs for portraits.

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

nixland
510 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 17, 2018 19:35 |  #6

Also you can mount more variation of modifiers on strobe & speedlite.

NDAPhoto
239 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2015
Post edited 7 months ago by NDAPhoto.

Jul 19, 2018 08:47 |  #7

LED panels need to be close to your subject, very close compared to strobes.

The Westcott Hurley 4-light Flex LED Kit is $5500. That’s basically what you need. You can create your own system for about $3000 if you are creative and don’t need everything to pack up nicely. If you search for used lights or make your own, then maybe you can do it for less. But that’s the LED set up you want to switch from strobes.

https://www.adorama.co​m/images/Large/we7537_​1.jpg (external link)

shadowdancer
THREAD ­ STARTER
211 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 20, 2018 06:32 as a reply to  @ NDAPhoto's post |  #8

Thanks for the info.

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,008 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jul 24, 2018 17:15 |  #9

As alluded to above... You get more bang for your buck using studio strobes than trying to light portraits with high quality LED lights.

Perhaps using these wall mounted brackets might help your space problems...

https://www.ebay.com …024d70:g:N2UAAO​SwX61ZErKx (external link)

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

807 views & 7 likes for this thread
LED lights vs Strobes for Studio Portraits
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.