Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
Thread started 24 Jul 2018 (Tuesday) 07:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

High octane HDR with Aurora!

Stiga
Cream of the Crop
5,854 posts
Gallery: 829 photos
Joined Dec 2015

Jul 24, 2018 07:56 |  #1

Mt Aurora trial has ended but before it did I thught I would see what it could do with a really dud bracketed set.

IMAGE: https://i.imgur.com/NhEjWuh.jpg
I told you it was dud!

I started off with Trey Ratcliff's "Tyrion Cuffs" preset, denoised it hard and then pushed some colour and saturation sliders around.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Not really my style but it's fun to make something from nothing!

Martin
I'm not a gear guy but I have a tons of software :-)

sponsored links
Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 25, 2018 07:52 |  #2

The denoise in aurora, in itself, is a dud. I know it adds a workflow step, but denoising after aurora seems to work better. I use topaz denoise which I find superior to nik and all others. In photoshop I mask in the denoised image where necessary. And yea, aurora seems to create a whole bunch of noise.

Website (external link) |

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 25, 2018 07:55 |  #3

A question: when the aurora trial is over, do they offer additional discounts beyond the $99 retail asking price?

Website (external link) |

Stiga
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,854 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Jul 25, 2018 08:02 |  #4

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #18670302 (external link)
The denoise in aurora, in itself, is a dud. I know it adds a workflow step, but denoising after aurora seems to work better. I use topaz denoise which I find superior to nik and all others. In photoshop I mask in the denoised image where necessary. And yea, aurora seems to create a whole bunch of noise.

I do both denoise within Aurora and during PP

Martin

Stiga
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,854 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Jul 25, 2018 08:08 |  #5

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #18670304 (external link)
A question: when the aurora trial is over, do they offer additional discounts beyond the $99 retail asking price?

I have had an email from the Sklum Team asking how they performed after asking a question about image alignbment but there was no special offer after the trial.

Martin

russellsnr2
Goldmember
1,028 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 23, 2018 00:55 |  #6

Hi, Drag this one up again. Skylum as you probably no are ready to launch a new version of Aurora 2019 just wondered if anyone has seen a review of the 2019 that is NOT by a person who is or seems to be trying to sell it through giving opinions that are so blatant about how it will be the next king of HDR software. Thanks, Russ.

Many Thanks,
Russell.

raminolta
61 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 25, 2018 11:15 |  #7

I see you used a Canon PowerShot. As HDR inherently makes the existing noise very visible, it's most advisable to do hdr with a camera which a priory produces as little noise as possible namely FF or at least or ASPC. On the other hand, post processing is even more important. A hdr image doesn't really have to look that terrible. Sometimes, this is simply about pushing the sliders too far unnecessarily.

Stiga
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,854 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Sep 25, 2018 11:37 |  #8

raminolta wrote in post #18715790 (external link)
I see you used a Canon PowerShot. As HDR inherently makes the existing noise very visible, it's most advisable to do hdr with a camera which a priory produces as little noise as possible namely FF or at least or ASPC. On the other hand, post processing is even more important. A hdr image doesn't really have to look that terrible. Sometimes, this is simply about pushing the sliders too far unnecessarily.

I think you missed the point of my post. It was aimed to show that the few who hanker for grunge can still create horrible HDR with a modern tonemapper.!

BTW, I have now moved on to a Canon G5 X with 20Mpix. Much less noise now.

Martin

AS_Photo
139 posts
Joined Sep 2018

Sep 25, 2018 11:44 |  #9

I'm afraid you've made nothing from nothing.

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,137 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 25, 2018 11:45 |  #10

Thanks Martin, I'll cross that one off my list.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

AS_Photo
139 posts
Joined Sep 2018

Sep 25, 2018 11:46 |  #11

russellsnr2 wrote in post #18713831 (external link)
Hi, Drag this one up again. Skylum as you probably no are ready to launch a new version of Aurora 2019 just wondered if anyone has seen a review of the 2019 that is NOT by a person who is or seems to be trying to sell it through giving opinions that are so blatant about how it will be the next king of HDR software. Thanks, Russ.

I tried whatever version is out now. It was okay. It did some scenes well that you simply cannot do in a single shot. But I find that either using filters to get the shot into the range of your sensor, or if impossible, to blend the shots manually to produce better results. Maybe I'm not doing something right but what I also found interesting was that the software produced wildly different results with the same selected images when processed the same way. Sometimes there would be horrible noise artifacts introduced by what I can only imagine was it pulling up shadow details too far from the wrong exposure. But other times, the same images loaded did not produce that result. I am not a huge fan.

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,724 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 26, 2018 15:00 |  #12

russellsnr2 wrote in post #18713831 (external link)

Hi Russ - I pre-ordered the upgrade for $49 and will test it when it comes out. Should be interesting.

Kirk

Kirk
---

russellsnr2
Goldmember
1,028 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 02, 2018 14:41 |  #13

kirkt wrote in post #18716838 (external link)
Hi Russ - I pre-ordered the upgrade for $49 and will test it when it comes out. Should be interesting.

Kirk

Also pre ordered but have to say there customer relations have a lot to be desired. I like to use SNS-HDR for output but the ghosting in there is not (and only my opinion) the best so I like to create .exr files and send that to SNS-HDR, when I asked/pointed out in a question to Skylum that an option was promised in the Aurora 2018 soon for an option to create .exr files I had this reply. Quote:- 'As it is stated in the User Guide, this option is not available yet. Hopefully, it will be implemented in the future updates.' So I pointed out that about 1/2 way down there page here https://skylum.com …aving-and-exporting-files (external link) under NOTE you can see what it states. They do seem to be fond of empty promises of what is to come in there softwares. Russ.

Many Thanks,
Russell.

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,724 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 02, 2018 16:36 as a reply to  @ russellsnr2's post |  #14

I have also asked them to include an option in their batch processing that permits batch saving of the “project” so I can batch produce the master “HDR” file instead of LDR results. No dice.

Kirk

Kirk
---

sponsored links

1,150 views & 1 like for this thread
High octane HDR with Aurora!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.