Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 14 Jul 2018 (Saturday) 18:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Product photography budget setup what should i buy

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
1,619 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2016

Jul 25, 2018 22:38 as a reply to  @ post 18670826 |  #31

Maybe this will give you some inspiration...

This threefold flier was shot for a client (eons ago) with a 6mp Kodak Easyshare point and shoot camera. I used two fluorescent lights in these rinky dink softboxes (my first regret with "studio lights") on lightweight light stands (that I still have). You can see the reflection of the lights in the beads. It was a learning experience but then so is every job I still take on. The takeaway here is I used cheap lights, a cheap camera but got some great shots.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

P.S. Yes, the 'sparkles' were added in post.

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photography (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)

NDAPhoto
190 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2015
Post edited 1 month ago by NDAPhoto. (2 edits in all)

Jul 26, 2018 20:23 as a reply to  @ post 18670626 |  #32

Westcott is not considered an expensive lighting company. There are many US and European brands whose similar products are more expensive. Westcott is US based, but Chinese made, so some common items may cost more than Chinese brands. However, they also design their own products, not simply relabel them. Those original designs are first to market, so obviously cost more than knock offs that come later.

However, the strobe kit I listed for you is actually an entry-level set at an entry-level price. Westcott does not make higher end strobes (although they had a 400ws model before). Where else can you get a good quality set of three monolights, two soft boxes, three stands, gels, barn door and a rolling case for $500 backed by a US company? A rolling case alone will cost $100, so the strobes were an outright steal. Yes, you can cobble together some generic brands for the same price, with no warranty and instructions in broken-English, but why would you want that?

I’m sponsored by a competitor to Westcott, so I would not have recommended them if they weren’t worthwhile. I’ve shot with many brands of strobes and have a storage room filled with expensive gear. In fact, I wouldn’t have commented on this thread if I hadn’t used the gear myself and been able to speak to the quality. Anyone on this forum can speculate about gear they don’t own. You can also ask 10 professionals how to shoot a product and get 10 different answers how to do it.

As for overthinking... OP should ask which product photographers he admires shoot with continous lighting? What percentage of product photographers in your intended field use continuous lighting? Once you ask these questions, you’ll begin to understand why. Then emulate the type of photographer you want to become and invest in the gear you can afford.

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
1,619 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2016

Jul 26, 2018 22:57 |  #33

NDAPhoto wrote in post #18671524 (external link)
Westcott is not considered an expensive lighting company.

I retract my statement. I was thinking Broncolor. You're right. That being said, I do suggest not jumping into buying into a system until there is some understanding of the mechanics involved.

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photography (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,683 views & 30 likes for this thread
Product photography budget setup what should i buy
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.