Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 12 Jul 2018 (Thursday) 07:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Luminar 1.3.0 released

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,797 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 12, 2018 07:11 |  #1

No, this is not the biggie with the DAM.

https://community.skyl​um.com …minar-2018-1-3-0-Windows- (external link)

https://community.skyl​um.com …r-Luminar-2018-1-3-0-Mac- (external link)

sponsored links
Lumens
425 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jul 12, 2018 07:42 |  #2

Until it has the DAM is is only a Plug-in, so far not impressed. But I do like the develop methods it has, when it becomes a complete tool then maybe I can consider it an option.

FUJI XT-2 & FUJI XT-3 ->
12mm Roki, 16 f1.4, 35 f1.4, 56 f1.2, 80 Macro
10-24, 18-55, 55-200, 100-400

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 12, 2018 08:11 |  #3

Per Skylum, the DAM version will come sometime 2018.

As to the latest upgrade to ver 1.3.0, if you don't like to update within the app but instead like to download and keep a file on your drive, downloads for the PC and Mac versions are available.

Website (external link) |

NoLight
553 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 25, 2018 17:34 |  #4

DAM thats the only reason I tried skylum..... Still waiting... DAM..

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,954 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 26, 2018 05:16 |  #5

Is this the software that promises functionality will come to a release during the year, then fail to deliver. Then at the end of 12 months releases a payment required "new version", still promising the functionality from the previous release? Looks like they are well on track to rip off the users again this year. Oh and don't be a Windows user also seems to be a thing too. Now we see truely how hard it can be to replace Lr and Ps with well functioning software. A perpetual licence replacement for Lr/Ps is something I would seriously consider at the moment.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 26, 2018 07:30 |  #6

BigAl007 wrote in post #18671013 (external link)
Is this the software that promises functionality will come to a release during the year, then fail to deliver. Then at the end of 12 months releases a payment required "new version",

I believe that was ON1

Lumens
425 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jul 26, 2018 07:35 |  #7

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #18661167 (external link)
Per Skylum, the DAM version will come sometime 2018.

I sent an email explaining to them that Luminar is nothing more than a plugin for Lightroom until they have a DAM and a product that is complete.

The response I got would be that it will be out at the end of Summer. Well, school restarts next week, so to me summers about over. Although I guess you could go by the solstice which would be Saturday, September 22 according to google. Either way they never did make it clear as to which year.

FUJI XT-2 & FUJI XT-3 ->
12mm Roki, 16 f1.4, 35 f1.4, 56 f1.2, 80 Macro
10-24, 18-55, 55-200, 100-400

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,600 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 26, 2018 07:56 |  #8

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #18671060 (external link)
I believe that was ON1

Yes, a real shame!

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,722 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited 7 months ago by kirkt. (2 edits in all)

Jul 26, 2018 08:53 |  #9

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #18671060 (external link)
I believe that was ON1

Which is now on sale, according to the junk mail I get from them, for $49.99 until 31 July. Considering they wanted way more than that for me to "upgrade" from the 2017 version, I am guessing their charge everyone for every version model is not working out too well.

All of these little all-in-one editors all do the same with equally average results. I am not sure what the end game is, but unless one of them comes up with some compelling feature or reason to use their version over someone else's, they are all sort of pointless.

kirk

Kirk
---

MCAsan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,797 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 27, 2018 08:00 |  #10

In the Skylum Community posted by Alina Skylum 15 days ago:

"Next up is a little update on Skylum’s upcoming digital asset manager (DAM). An update to Luminar with an integrated DAM will be released soon. The update will be free to all Luminar 2018 users and will have all of the key features critical for keeping your content organized from beginning to end. Before its public release, the DAM update will undergo a series of beta tests to ensure the final product is as seamless and bug-free as can be.

The first stage of internal beta testing has already begun. It focuses on the overall stability of the program. The second stage, which will be starting in August, will consist of getting the update out to selected pros and educators across the globe to take for a spin. During this stage, Skylum will start to reveal some of the features that will appear in the final version of the DAM update.

As stated by Scott Bourne, President US & China at Skylum Software, in a recent blog post, Skylum’s goal with its DAM is not to check off a list of “must-have” features. Instead, the goal is to fundamentally rethink the purpose of a DAM to ensure Skylum isn’t merely following the footsteps of others, but carving its own path. "

https://community.skyl​um.com …360015807632-DAM-PROGRESS (external link)

I will surprised it is released in September. If you are Mac user, watch that they have updated it for Mojave. The previous Luminar releases had major problems with Metal and Metal II on Sierra and High Sierra.

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited 6 months ago by Picture North Carolina. (2 edits in all)

Jul 27, 2018 08:40 |  #11

kirkt wrote in post #18671105 (external link)
Which is now on sale, according to the junk mail I get from them, for $49.99 until 31 July. Considering they wanted way more than that for me to "upgrade" from the 2017 version, I am guessing their charge everyone for every version model is not working out too well.

All of these little all-in-one editors all do the same with equally average results. I am not sure what the end game is, but unless one of them comes up with some compelling feature or reason to use their version over someone else's, they are all sort of pointless.

kirk

Which always has been my prediction, and I'm sticking with it. ON1, as far as its presence in the effects / plugin genre goes, will be the first to go. Topaz is far superior, and even the free nik used to crap all over ON1. Add to that the deplorable ON1 management and the fact they seem to go out of their way to piss people off, I, once again, predict their app and company will come to an end before others.

And I, like you Kirk, will never spend a penny again with ON1. Like you, I was pissed off about promises made but not kept with ON1 2017 and the fact they wanted me to pay for the upgraded version with functions working that were once promised for free. I've already ended them in my book. Once burned, twice shy. We're done.

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,722 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited 6 months ago by kirkt. (4 edits in all)

Jul 27, 2018 09:43 as a reply to  @ Picture North Carolina's post |  #12

I tried OnOne because I like to try everything and see how it might work for me. The initial versions lacked speed and quality but, I get it, they were the first attempts at their vision for a Lightroom "killer" or whatever. But nothing has changed and their image quality is average at best. As you mention, their policy of treating customers as paying beta-testers AND charging a subscription for access to their forums, where one would think customer support may be more accessible, is ironic at best. I was not necessarily "pissed off" but OnOne made the decision to abandon OnOne very easy.

I think OnOne loved their press clippings and they have their devoted, somewhat cultish fans. While all of that is nice and fun, their product is a dog and there are plenty of alternatives. I think that they will try to preserve their ongoing concern but, really, there is no innovation and nothing new to consider in their product, so it will be interesting to see how they attempt to differentiate themselves in a sea of similar mediocrity. I think their model is simply to copy every Lightroom feature and add it to the already bulky application. Clearly they, like Lightroom, will focus on integration over cloud/multiple devices - again, I do not get this need to edit images on your phone or tablet, but if that's how you roll, then OnOne might fit perfectly.

OnOne and similar apps seem to be competing for the non-professional, amateur/hobbyist market and I get the sense that they are targeting folks of various experience and skill who have fancy cameras and like buttons and sliders to make it seem like photo editing is some high-powered, complex task. More buttons! More sliders! More presets! The interface and workflow alone makes it impossible to actually focus on image editing, it is so busy and distracting.

If anyone ever gets a marketing email that purports to be the "last chance" to purchase an application at some special price, consider that company not credible. No company will ever not sell you their software.

As far as Skylum/Luminar/Aurora goes, I can at least see the deliberate holistic approach to developing a suite of applications that do specific things (Aurora's association with Trey Ratcliff, the anathema of true HDR, aside) - you can use all of them (DAM, Luminar, Aurora) or one of them and get whatever it is that you want to do done. While I certainly do not get the almost hysterical need for DAM posted all of the internet, if Skylum are able to produce a useful DAM that integrates with its products and outside applications as well, then they would clearly have a leg up on these all-in-one editing applications/environme​nts. Good for them.

kirk

Kirk
---

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 27, 2018 10:08 |  #13

kirkt wrote in post #18671805 (external link)
I tried OnOne because I like to try everything and see how it might work for me. The initial versions lacked speed and quality but, I get it, they were the first attempts at their vision for a Lightroom "killer" or whatever. But nothing has changed and their image quality is average at best. As you mention, their policy of treating customers as paying beta-testers AND charging a subscription for access to their forums, where one would think customer support may be more accessible, is ironic at best. I was not necessarily "pissed off" but OnOne made the decision to abandon OnOne very easy.

I think OnOne loved their press clippings and they have their devoted, somewhat cultish fans. While all of that is nice and fun, their product is a dog and there are plenty of alternatives. I think that they will try to preserve their ongoing concern but, really, there is no innovation and nothing new to consider in their product, so it will be interesting to see how they attempt to differentiate themselves in a sea of similar mediocrity. I think their model is simply to copy every Lightroom feature and add it to the already bulky application. Clearly they, like Lightroom, will focus on integration over cloud/multiple devices - again, I do not get this need to edit images on your phone or tablet, but if that's how you roll, then OnOne might fit perfectly.

OnOne and similar apps seem to be competing for the non-professional, amateur/hobbyist market and I get the sense that they are targeting folks of various experience and skill who have fancy cameras and like buttons and sliders to make it seem like photo editing is some high-powered, complex task. More buttons! More sliders! More presets! The interface and workflow alone makes it impossible to actually focus on image editing, it is so busy and distracting.

If anyone ever gets a marketing email that purports to be the "last chance" to purchase an application at some special price, consider that company not credible. No company will ever not sell you their software.

As far as Skylum/Luminar/Aurora goes, I can at least see the deliberate holistic approach to developing a suite of applications that do specific things (Aurora's association with Trey Ratcliff, the anathema of true HDR, aside) - you can use all of them (DAM, Luminar, Aurora) or one of them and get whatever it is that you want to do done. While I certainly do not get the almost hysterical need for DAM posted all of the internet, if Skylum are able to produce a useful DAM that integrates with its products and outside applications as well, then they would clearly have a leg up on these all-in-one editing applications/environme​nts. Good for them.

kirk

I, too, share the question for the mysterious needs for 1) editing on a phone, and 2) the obsession with a DAM. I edit on a 27" IPS calibrated monitor because it's better and I can see more. I have no need for a DAM, having come up with my own (better) cataloging system long before the DAM philosophy was a wet spot on Adobe's leg. From a different generation / school I guess.

Nonetheless, well said.

Regards,
- Dan

sponsored links

1,296 views & 0 likes for this thread
Luminar 1.3.0 released
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.