Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
Thread started 15 Dec 2009 (Tuesday) 12:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Black & White Street Photography - POST

Scottboarding
546 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Joined May 2016

Jul 25, 2018 21:50 |  #7246

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18670852 (external link)
Spilt seconds is what most really good street work is about and if it were taken with a holga or a diana it wouldn't matter is the image itself was strong.

We get it; you think the photo is boring and uninteresting. You just said that split seconds matter and gear doesn't which is exactly what the OP is also saying. They saw a photo they liked, took the photo, edited it best as possible and posted it. You seem to be the only one with a problem about the photo. Citing a bunch of famous street photographers who shot in dangerous neighborhood doesn't change much. Tons of people go skydiving and which scary and stupid in my eyes so I went indoor skydiving. It'ss much safer, and I enjoyed it. If you asked me why I didn't actually go skydiving I would reply that I was fearful and did what I could. Don't start lecturing me about how I should find something else to do because it's not for the faint of heart. KellyRae did what they were comfortable with and don't need to be told that they shouldn't be doing this type of photography. I've yet to see any of your photos at night in a bad neighborhood.

Gear: https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18556308
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/130385961@N05/ (external link)

sponsored links
airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
35,783 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Jul 25, 2018 21:53 |  #7247

Same goes if you ever get to Chicago.

A couple of really insanely great women that did street work.
Mary Ellen Mark.
Vivian Maier
Margret Bourke White
Jill Freedman
Helen Levitt

airfrogusmc
35,783 posts
Joined May 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by airfrogusmc. (3 edits in all)

Jul 25, 2018 21:58 |  #7248

Scottboarding wrote in post #18670862 (external link)
We get it; you think the photo is boring and uninteresting. You just said that split seconds matter and gear doesn't which is exactly what the OP is also saying. They saw a photo they liked, took the photo, edited it best as possible and posted it. You seem to be the only one with a problem about the photo. Citing a bunch of famous street photographers who shot in dangerous neighborhood doesn't change much. Tons of people go skydiving and which scary and stupid in my eyes so I went indoor skydiving. It'ss much safer, and I enjoyed it. If you asked me why I didn't actually go skydiving I would reply that I was fearful and did what I could. Don't start lecturing me about how I should find something else to do because it's not for the faint of heart. KellyRae did what they were comfortable with and don't need to be told that they shouldn't be doing this type of photography. I've yet to see any of your photos at night in a bad neighborhood.

Again if you read my objection was with the excuses. They are like elbows everyone has them. All the photographers I posted didn't have to make excuses thus the reason for posting them. Either you get something that works or you don't. I only made a comment on the photo after being pushed.

Also wanted to say I never said it was boring. I did say I don't find it interesting. And there are some issues and I mentioned one. Even though I don't think it is working by itself it could work in a body of work.

Kellyrae
156 posts
Gallery: 154 photos
Joined Jul 2018

Jul 25, 2018 22:20 as a reply to  @ airfrogusmc's post |  #7249

tenderloin

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

https://kellyraedaughe​rty.smugmug.com (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,427 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 25, 2018 22:52 |  #7250

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18670866 (external link)
Either you get something that works or you don't. I only made a comment on the photo after being pushed.

So you don't think the photo works, but I do. Maybe some others also think it works. That it truly doesn't work hasn't been established, whatever that would mean, only that it doesn't work for you. Now, you could fairly say that Kellyrae was making excuses if she knew her photo didn't work, decided to post it anyway, and then made up flimsy explanations to justify posting a bad photo. But that's not what happened. What happened was, she got an unsolicited criticism and responded to it.

On the idea that street photography is only for people willing to take big risks, I've already given my opinion. I don't expect to convince anyone.

Kellyrae wrote in post #18670871 (external link)
tenderloin

This time, the subject evidently knew you were there. How did you gain her trust?

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Kellyrae
156 posts
Joined Jul 2018

Jul 25, 2018 22:56 |  #7251

downtown san francisco first image
Valencia Street second both analog

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

airfrogusmc
35,783 posts
Joined May 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by airfrogusmc. (7 edits in all)

Jul 26, 2018 07:28 |  #7252

OhLook wrote in post #18670889 (external link)
So you don't think the photo works, but I do. Maybe some others also think it works. That it truly doesn't work hasn't been established, whatever that would mean, only that it doesn't work for you. Now, you could fairly say that Kellyrae was making excuses if she knew her photo didn't work, decided to post it anyway, and then made up flimsy explanations to justify posting a bad photo. But that's not what happened. What happened was, she got an unsolicited criticism and responded to it.

On the idea that street photography is only for people willing to take big risks, I've already given my opinion. I don't expect to convince anyone.

This time, the subject evidently knew you were there. How did you gain her trust?

Read post #7216.

In regards to the photo, I have no idea what the heck is going on in the image. It could have been taken anywhere. It had no visual connection to a bad area by itself. The overpowering brightness from the rectangles at the top are an issue. If there was symmetry throughout the image then the centered subjects might work better but there's not. The bright sign or whatever to the right is also fighting whatever is going on and I have no idea what is going on. Looks like two people that could just be passing on the street anywhere. So what makes this a good photograph when viewed by itself?

But again it was the excuse that got my response.

Her response in post #7216 after a critical post was "Try being in a seedy part of town with a little point and shoot camera trying to capture this scene in the darkest part of night without being shot or beat up. I will be waiting for your image."I responded with examples of people who didn't use that as an excuse. She seemed to invite examples with her post #7216. Street work is by it's very nature risky. That is just a hard reality.

debokte
48 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2013

Jul 26, 2018 08:28 |  #7253

HOSTED PHOTO

PHOTONOD (external link)

photosbytw
Goldmember
1,317 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2015

Jul 26, 2018 10:24 as a reply to  @ Kellyrae's post |  #7254

Much much better..............

Don't even begin to think I'm criticizing your images.
Just a natural curiosity.
tw
www.photosbytw.net

bpiper7
Goldmember
1,192 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 26, 2018 11:00 |  #7255

IMAGE: https://www.billpiperphotos.com/img/s/v-3/p2870903177-5.jpg

Bill

billpiperphotos.com (external link)
Gear: 60D - 400D - 15-85 EF-S, 55-250 EF-S,18-55mm EF-S, EF, 50mm 1.8 and more stuff .

Kellyrae
156 posts
Joined Jul 2018

Jul 26, 2018 14:08 as a reply to  @ OhLook's post |  #7256

I had been hanging out in the neighborhood for several months talking with the people who worked and lived there, so they had seen my face around.

palad1n
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Jul 26, 2018 16:28 as a reply to  @ Kellyrae's post |  #7257

Please, accept my apologies if I offended you somehow with that commentary about surveillance camera quality, it was my poor attempt at a joke.
I live in Prague, which is considered one of the safest towns, that's why I never experienced shooting street photography in dangerous locations as described. People here just don' t like being photographed and usually they hide their faces, worst thing you can expect here are some insults :)

Website (online) : www.lukaskrasa.com (external link)
Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/​photos/105393908@N03/ (external link)
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.c​om/lukaskrasaphoto/ (external link)
Instagram: https://instagram.com/​lukaskrasacom (external link)
Lukas

Kellyrae
156 posts
Joined Jul 2018

Jul 26, 2018 20:41 as a reply to  @ palad1n's post |  #7258

no worries. I am not offended at all. I would love to visit Prague.

Kellyrae
156 posts
Joined Jul 2018

Jul 26, 2018 21:15 |  #7259

san francisco street shots

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Scottboarding
546 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Joined May 2016

Jul 26, 2018 22:39 |  #7260

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18670866 (external link)
Again if you read my objection was with the excuses

I replied to that aspect. This whole boils down to you being a snob about all of this. Telling people to find other types of photography because they're not cut out for it is beyond snobbish and rude. And to be fair, she said she was waiting for your photo and you still haven't posted one. You cited a ton of people, but for someone like you who isn't fearful I'm sure you have plenty of nighttime photos from sketchy neighborhoods just waiting to be posted.

Gear: https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18556308
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/130385961@N05/ (external link)

sponsored links

1,178,281 views & 4,003 likes for this thread
Black & White Street Photography - POST
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.