Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
Thread started 11 Jul 2018 (Wednesday) 08:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Aurora HDR 2018 revisited

Stiga
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,815 posts
Gallery: 827 photos
Joined Dec 2015
Post edited 7 months ago by Stiga.

Jul 18, 2018 05:26 |  #46

I think it is time I wound this thread up and reached some conclusions before my Trial runs out and you all get bored!.

1. Do UI like Aurora HDR? Yes, I like it a lot; especially the inerface.

2. Would I recommend it to others? Yes, if you are wanting to take a step forward in your HDR journey. But if you are just wanting to avoid the "chalk and soot" of against the light scenee. Lightroom, EasyHDR or SNS-HDR are more than adequate.

3. As a committed HDR guy, would I buy it? Undoubtedly yes! I have serious issues with image alignment. The interface and the manual are not clear on this. After seeking advice from Mistermonday and the Aurora Help Team I find that one has to use dehosting to fix alignment - even though there is an "Alignment" check box. With this bracketed set of 3 (full size overlay segment in Photoshop)

IMAGE: https://i.imgur.com/nKl39Aa.jpg
I had to (1) tick Alignment, (2) set Deghosting to Highest and (3) select the 0EV image for reference. What a palaver!
IMAGE: https://i.imgur.com/q3BURUv.png

The result was acceptable (I should have spent more time recovering shadows)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

So, in a nutshell, "Excellent product but a bit more work required to make it perfect."

Martin
I'm not a gear guy but I have a tons of software :-)

sponsored links
Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited 7 months ago by Picture North Carolina.

Jul 18, 2018 07:45 |  #47

Martin;

Again, appreciate all your hard work and input into this thread. Very helpful to many.

I am not being judgemental of your image when asking the following. Just want to know:

In the last image posted (sunrise / sunset) there are parts of the sky (clouds) with substantial noise.

Was that a) created by aurora, or b) caused by the G12?

Again, thanks.

Regards,
- Dan

Website (external link) |

mistermonday
362 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Jul 18, 2018 07:49 as a reply to  @ Stiga's post |  #48

Great work, Martin. Sometimes it is easier to click a few of the high settings and they can be backed off to see what can be the minimal required.
Aurora definitely has some excellent tools and because it is so young / new it will likely make a lot of headway going forward.
Cheers, Murray

Stiga
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,815 posts
Joined Dec 2015
Post edited 7 months ago by Stiga.

Jul 18, 2018 08:25 |  #49

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #18665195 (external link)
Martin;

Again, appreciate all your hard work and input into this thread. Very helpful to many.

I am not being judgemental of your image when asking the following. Just want to know:

In the last image posted (sunrise / sunset) there are parts of the sky (clouds) with substantial noise.

Was that a) created by aurora, or b) caused by the G12?

Again, thanks.

Regards,
- Dan

Thank you Dan.

About the noise, that was partly my fault. I have to admit that I forgot to denoise within Aurora so used nik Dfine afterwords. From experience over the last 10 days, I have found the Aurora denoise filter to be excellent. Here is a version denoised within Aurora. I also used a different preset which recovered some of the dark green foreground (a runway for light aircraft).

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Basically it was G12 small sensor noise made worse by tonemapping.

Martin

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited 7 months ago by Picture North Carolina.

Jul 18, 2018 15:41 |  #50

Stiga wrote in post #18665226 (external link)
Basically it was G12 small sensor noise made worse by tonemapping.

Gotcha. Kinda suspected that. I primarily use FF DSLRs, but a while back I bought a canon sx 60 hs to play around with and moreso, for my wife. It's a pretty darn good little camera for a P&S, but I did notice substantial noise which I attributed to the small sensor.

For all the promo work you've done for the company, you should certainly get a free copy of aurora. This thread will be here. Update us with info as aurora improves. Thanks.

Regards,
- Dan

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 25, 2018 08:12 |  #51

My quick perceptions on Aurora:

Color:
Does a much better job of realistic appearance than photomatix. No over-saturated color groups like in photomatix. Not even the same ballpark.

App speed:
Slow, I mean s-l-o-w. Not on the zippiest system, but an I7, win 7 64, nvidia 1050ti and tons of ram ain't a slowboy either. but aurora is S-L-O-W!

Noise:
Really, really noisy. And the denoise in aurora doesn't seem to help much. Denoise outside of aurora.

UI:
Could use some work. For example, the save and export need changing in both appearance and features.

Features:
has more sliders and such to play with than photomatix.

RAW support:
IMHO, the raw conversion is bad. I find processing RAWs outside of aurora and importing created TIFFs into aurora works best.

Bottom line:
Don't currently own a HDR app? Get aurora, not photomatix.
Currently own photomatix? - probably best to wait for some future aurora updates before plunking money down.

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 25, 2018 08:57 |  #52

A few coupon codes that work as of 2018-07-25:

FATHERSDAY - $15 off
MACLIBS - $10 off
SmartTech2018 - $10 off

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 27, 2018 09:18 |  #53

Stunned!

As I work with aurora, I can now see the basics of a phenomenal batch of coding.

Last night I did two images that were over 10 years old. They were shot (bracketed) wrong and over the years I have tried various version of photomatix, oloneo, adobe products, and even luminosity masking and have not been happy with the results. Last night I did them with aurora and out of the box (default) it produced stunning images.

Yes, aurora has a bug or two and certainly needs a little polishing and UI changes. But even as it stands now, it is so superior to photomatix it leaves photomatix in the dust like a hardening, old forgotten turd.

Congrats to the Skylum team for creating what will eventually be a giant killer. Get ready for the offers from adobe. They'll want to buy it.

Stiga
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,815 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Jul 27, 2018 10:45 |  #54

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #18671791 (external link)
Stunned!

As I work with aurora, I can now see the basics of a phenomenal batch of coding.

Last night I did two images that were over 10 years old. They were shot (bracketed) wrong and over the years I have tried various version of photomatix, oloneo, adobe products, and even luminosity masking and have not been happy with the results. Last night I did them with aurora and out of the box (default) it produced stunning images.

Yes, aurora has a bug or two and certainly needs a little polishing and UI changes. But even as it stands now, it is so superior to photomatix it leaves photomatix in the dust like a hardening, old forgotten turd.

Congrats to the Skylum team for creating what will eventually be a giant killer. Get ready for the offers from adobe. They'll want to buy it.

Yes, I said before that Photomatix had been knocked off its perch. I don't like the Photomatix interdace, never have, but I have to admit that it is the best for deghosting.

Martin

russellsnr2
Goldmember
1,028 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 28, 2018 01:51 |  #55

Hi, This may help someone with Aurora HDR https://www.youtube.co​m …=SN2ZqZDM-ww&pbjreload=10 (external link)
Russ.

Many Thanks,
Russell.

sponsored links

2,671 views & 11 likes for this thread
Aurora HDR 2018 revisited
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.