Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 24 Jul 2018 (Tuesday) 19:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Any Point in Upgrading Lightroom?

yeamans17
650 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined May 2007

Jul 27, 2018 08:16 |  #16

I was running Lightroom 5 happily until I consolidated camera bodies and upgraded to the 5D4 when I needed to update to Lightroom 6 just to have support for my files.

As someone who is not making money from my hobby I can't justify the monthly or yearly expense for something I can get out of the software I paid for once and was done.

Also important to note given that I had to replace my laptop recently, Adobe is actively trying to make it difficult to access the standalone versions of their software. Getting the version of software I have a license for took several hours with Adobe tech support remoted into my computer to make happen.

If they continue the pay as you go I'll be finding a new solution the next time I need to update.

sponsored links
drmaxx
Goldmember
1,226 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 27, 2018 08:37 |  #17

john crossley wrote in post #18670082 (external link)
Photography is a very expensive hobby. People pay thousands of pounds for camera bodies, lenses and computers, yet balk at paying a few measly quid for software.

I agree with john on this. If you are cash strapped then LR 5 is very capable of doing much of the heavy lifting. For various reasons (mainly performance reasons), I did not upgraded from LR 6 to CC but switched over to Capture One. Very happy with the switch - but it took quite a bit of time to relearn the skills I had with LR and to actually exceed the possibilities I had with LR.

Donate if you love POTN

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,911 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 27, 2018 08:54 |  #18

yeamans17 wrote in post #18671756 (external link)
Also important to note given that I had to replace my laptop recently, Adobe is actively trying to make it difficult to access the standalone versions of their software. Getting the version of software I have a license for took several hours with Adobe tech support remoted into my computer to make happen..

It is reports like this one which make me glad to pay a bit more for DVD for my software, rather than relying upon download only!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,948 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 27, 2018 09:23 |  #19

I agree. There are really only options - A or B. You don't mind $10 a month and want the latest stuff or either it does not work for someone financially or you just don't like the subscription model. People are happy to hang on as long as they can and use DNG if needed. All good.

One of the best free options for Canon owners is DPP. Regular updates and while new features are slow Canon does add them. DLO is true digital deconvolution applied for each lens specifically, not just using sharpening to compensate. Shooting events was no fun using DPP and PS to edit. I finally got LR (after 3 free trials over a year), I adopted Adobe and 6 months later Canon came out with DLO. vmad For multiple file edits like events DLO would be too slow but for a hobby shooter there is lots of time. You don't need to use DLO every time.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,425 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jul 27, 2018 09:26 |  #20

Wilt wrote in post #18671782 (external link)
It is reports like this one which make me glad to pay a bit more for DVD for my software, rather than relying upon download only!

Alternatively you can just keep the installer on a USB. I have installers for several packages and text files with the license keys so I don't have to worry about hunting about for download links.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,948 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 27, 2018 09:29 |  #21

Wilt wrote in post #18671782 (external link)

Yeah they do want you to go subscription which does tick people off. In the future there is this link. All the previous versions are there and you just need your key code.

https://helpx.adobe.co​m …fcd0ebc7053c373​79032b699d (external link)

Image Editing OK

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,711 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 27, 2018 10:44 |  #22

yeamans17 wrote in post #18671756 (external link)
I was running Lightroom 5 happily until I consolidated camera bodies and upgraded to the 5D4 when I needed to update to Lightroom 6 just to have support for my files.

As someone who is not making money from my hobby I can't justify the monthly or yearly expense for something I can get out of the software I paid for once and was done.

Also important to note given that I had to replace my laptop recently, Adobe is actively trying to make it difficult to access the standalone versions of their software. Getting the version of software I have a license for took several hours with Adobe tech support remoted into my computer to make happen.

If they continue the pay as you go I'll be finding a new solution the next time I need to update.

All you have to do is go to the Adobe website, type Lightroom 6 into the search box and click on the link. it takes thirty seconds.

It never ceases to amaze me how dense intelligent people are.
I’ve had more intelligent conversations with lobotomised amoebas.
-. --- - .--- ..- ... - .- -. --- - .... . .-. -.. .- -.-- --..-- .- -. --- - .... . .-. -.. .- -.-- - --- . -..- -.-. . .-..

bpalermini
Goldmember
1,398 posts
Gallery: 96 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 27, 2018 11:05 |  #23

digital paradise wrote in post #18671800 (external link)
Yeah they do want you to go subscription which does tick people off. In the future there is this link. All the previous versions are there and you just need your key code.

https://helpx.adobe.co​m …fcd0ebc7053c373​79032b699d (external link)

Thanks for this. I am a happy CC subscriber but I downloaded the v5 installer, which is the latest version I have a key for, just in case. Though going back would be quite difficult.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 5DIV, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 100-400L II, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,948 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 27, 2018 14:42 |  #24

Old versions of PS as well if anyone needs the link.

https://helpx.adobe.co​m …s6-product-downloads.html (external link)

Image Editing OK

yeamans17
650 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 27, 2018 18:10 as a reply to  @ john crossley's post |  #25

I tried that, it wasn't working - I wouldn't have allowed an Adobe employee to remote into my computer if that had worked.

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,711 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 28, 2018 00:31 |  #26

yeamans17 wrote in post #18672080 (external link)
I tried that, it wasn't working - I wouldn't have allowed an Adobe employee to remote into my computer if that had worked.

1) Did you actually click on the Lightroom 6 link?
2) Why do you think Adobe need to remote access your computer?

It never ceases to amaze me how dense intelligent people are.
I’ve had more intelligent conversations with lobotomised amoebas.
-. --- - .--- ..- ... - .- -. --- - .... . .-. -.. .- -.-- --..-- .- -. --- - .... . .-. -.. .- -.-- - --- . -..- -.-. . .-..

Bogino
THREAD ­ STARTER
522 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 28, 2018 20:49 |  #27

If I select the monthly subscription LR Plan for $9.99 will all my current photo's in LR5 get moved over or is that like starting completely all over?

Canon 7D Mark II; Canon 70-300mm "L"; Canon 100mm Macro; Tamron 24-70mm; Tokina 11-16mm 2.8

yeamans17
650 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 28, 2018 21:14 |  #28

john crossley wrote in post #18672226 (external link)
1) Did you actually click on the Lightroom 6 link?
2) Why do you think Adobe need to remote access your computer?

Yes I did, Adobe's website would only download version 5, then upon updating it was automatically trying to install CC. Allowing Adobe remote access was my last resort, their software wasn't cooperating. This is not my first rodeo...

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,948 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 28, 2018 22:41 |  #29

Bogino wrote in post #18672732 (external link)
If I select the monthly subscription LR Plan for $9.99 will all my current photo's in LR5 get moved over or is that like starting completely all over?

No. your photos stay were they are. In any version of LR your actual photos are not effected. You can edit as many as you like and edit the same photos using a different software and it will not effect your LR edits.

LR uses a catalogue system that is just a record of your adjustments. Actual photos are not effected. LR7's catalogue will merge with the the old catalogue and create a new one. All your previous edits will be preserved. I would back up your current catalogue, make a copy and save it somewhere else.

I'm not an expert and since you are upgrading from LR5 I'd ask this question at this site before you do it to be sure. Very knowledgeable people unless someone else can verify this here. I had zero issues upgrading from LR6 on both my iMac and Macbook Air.

https://www.lightroomq​ueen.com …c-desktop-focused-app.64/ (external link)

If you do this you will get install app. If you don't want to be in the cloud don't install LR CC which is new and version 1. Install LR Classic CC which is version 7.

This is the app. You can install whatever you want to. As you can see I have not installed LR CC or Bridge. I never used Bridge.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Image Editing OK

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,425 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jul 28, 2018 22:46 |  #30

Bogino wrote in post #18672732 (external link)

The new LR version will create a copy of your current catalog - but updated to work with the new version of LR. All your existing images and edits will be in there as they were in the LR5 catalog. Your LR5 catalog will also remain in case you have a problem.

The new version of LR uses a new process version for editing. However (just like previous versions) it also includes the old process versions so that your old processed images will be displayed exactly as they were in LR5. These old images will not be updated to the new process version unless you specifically select to do so. Any new images you import will use the new process by default (which is necessary to support the new features).

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

sponsored links

4,349 views & 7 likes for this thread
Any Point in Upgrading Lightroom?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.