Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 27 Jul 2018 (Friday) 17:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Street Tattoo

Qbx
Goldmember
3,907 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 7 months ago by Qbx. (2 edits in all)

Jul 27, 2018 17:59 |  #1

Just shot this one today and I did a lot of processing on it. Does it show?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

-- Image Editing OK --

sponsored links
guzzibob
441 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jul 28, 2018 19:31 |  #2

Yes it does . Not sure what you are trying to achieve here but it looks pretty over processed to me.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,976 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 28, 2018 21:21 |  #3

guzzibob wrote in post #18672707 (external link)
Not sure what you are trying to achieve here

My guess: a sense of this woman's anxiety and detachment from, or discomfort with, reality. Is that anywhere close?

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Ramon-uk
634 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 29, 2018 05:56 |  #4

sorry I don't like the processing at all. Any chance you could post the original unprocessed ?

Qbx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,907 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 29, 2018 13:08 |  #5

guzzibob wrote in post #18672707 (external link)
Yes it does . Not sure what you are trying to achieve here but it looks pretty over processed to me.

Candid scene. Overcast windy day. Just trying to get good detail on this woman's tattoo. I shot HDR, but she was talking so I had to replace her blurry head with an image from a single frame then work that into matching the tonality of the HDR which brought out the tattoo.

OhLook wrote in post #18672740 (external link)
My guess: a sense of this woman's anxiety and detachment from, or discomfort with, reality. Is that anywhere close?

Could be. I'm collecting tattoo shots and trying to get a sense of why people get tattoos. Most women I've spoken with that have prominent tattoos have them in remembrance of someone special like a grandmother or mother who had passed. I spoke to this woman and her husband who also was quite tattooed and she said that some of her tats were for her mother. Hubby is a race car driver.

Ramon-uk wrote in post #18672869 (external link)
sorry I don't like the processing at all. Any chance you could post the original unprocessed ?

Here ya go.
There were two originals, one HDR and one non-HDR for her head. But here is one unprocessed frame of the 5 used for the HDR.

HOSTED PHOTO

-- Image Editing OK --

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,116 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 29, 2018 19:45 as a reply to  @ Qbx's post |  #6

I'm not really sure why you did an HDR on this image.... it didn't need it. And the HDR did all kinds of weird stuff with the colors. Her legs just look really odd. I played with the second image and it worked just fine with normal adjustments. Your not recovering those skies.... so I would even worry about them. And then there is the background clutter. It's just an unfortunate "almost" image. The candid gods did not shine on this one. The bag on the ground, the garbage can, the Walk signal, and the poll sticking into the side of her head... there is a lot of competing stuff - given she isn't interacting with the image.

Or go B&W which hides some of these less desirable aspects. That offered some promise... The tats are very cool.... just too much going on.

Did she know she was being shot?

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

Qbx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,907 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 30, 2018 12:27 as a reply to  @ Croasdail's post |  #7

Go ahead and post your edit if you like.
I find that HDR does a good job of bringing out tattoos but a lousy job on skin tones. I might layer in her unprocessed legs like I did for her face.
When I walk around with my camera, it is usually set for a 5-frame HDR. That way if I miss an exposure, one frame is likely OK; and if the scene works for HDR, then I got it without fumbling for the setting and missing the action.

-- Image Editing OK --

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,381 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 30, 2018 12:36 |  #8

Qbx wrote in post #18673733 (external link)
Go ahead and post your edit if you like.
I find that HDR does a good job of bringing out tattoos but a lousy job on skin tones. I might layer in her unprocessed legs like I did for her face.
When I walk around with my camera, it is usually set for a 5-frame HDR. That way if I miss an exposure, one frame is likely OK; and if the scene works for HDR, then I got it without fumbling for the setting and missing the action.

In that case, I would just set regular exposure bracketing instead of HDR. Then you have your one good frame that you can edit normally instead of dealing with the weird color processing from HDR in a non-HDR scenario.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,116 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Post edited 7 months ago by Croasdail.

Jul 30, 2018 18:32 |  #9

Not intended to be perfect or even close - but you asked about punching up the tats without messing up the skin tones. I'm not one of those hyper good Lightroom artist... thats a given. This was just with Lightroom and adjusting HLS and Colors. The blacks are crushed... but you get the idea about skin. For what it is worth. I have no idea what you had envisioned for the final image...

HOSTED PHOTO

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,898 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Jul 31, 2018 18:07 |  #10

For tattoos it's about balancing the darks w/ the vibrance/color of them. A couple layers and it's quite easy to get natural looking edits that enhance them.

One curve layer to darken, one to lighten and an optional vibrance/saturation layer. Use black masks on them and paint the masks w/ white w/ low opacity and build it up to your liking.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M
https://designcostello​.com/ (external link)

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,116 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 01, 2018 08:39 |  #11

One last kind debate point here.... I know you are shooting for you, so that is all that really matters, but if the attempt here was to do "street photography", the idea of that genre is to not manipulate the image - ie clone or add detail that wasn't there. Its about capturing life as it really is happening. But as we all know, that is not what happens a lot of the time. Now that said, I get whey you removed the detail you did.... they all make sense to remove - particularly the poll through the head thing.

But if we are playing the purist role here (which I never do), you have heavily manipulated an image. A cranky street photography person might see that as violation of the genre. What you have here kind of sits in the middle of all this. You got a candid, and used it as a base for a manipulated image. If your are going full manipulated, then I would go further and fix the sky - put one in. Besides getting rid of stuff... I would get the other reds in the image under control. A lot could be done to make this image. It up to your imagination.

In the end, have it be what you want it to be. Just be clear that some will view it through other lenses and don't see it as you see it. Your kinda startling a couple of genre here. Faithful reproduction, or artistic representation. What ever your choice, make sure it is satisfying for you.

Mark

Qbx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,907 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 04, 2018 23:34 |  #12

Snydremark wrote in post #18673738 (external link)
In that case, I would just set regular exposure bracketing instead of HDR. Then you have your one good frame that you can edit normally instead of dealing with the weird color processing from HDR in a non-HDR scenario.

I should have made it clear that I shot 5 bracketed frames and made the HDR in Photomatix. Sorry.

Croasdail wrote in post #18673943 (external link)
Not intended to be perfect or even close - but you asked about punching up the tats without messing up the skin tones. I'm not one of those hyper good Lightroom artist... thats a given. This was just with Lightroom and adjusting HLS and Colors. The blacks are crushed... but you get the idea about skin. For what it is worth. I have no idea what you had envisioned for the final image...

That idea is a good one, so I went into Photoshop and worked on just the tats. Result is below.

DagoImaging wrote in post #18674652 (external link)
For tattoos it's about balancing the darks w/ the vibrance/color of them. A couple layers and it's quite easy to get natural looking edits that enhance them.

One curve layer to darken, one to lighten and an optional vibrance/saturation layer. Use black masks on them and paint the masks w/ white w/ low opacity and build it up to your liking.

Good ideas.

Croasdail wrote in post #18674987 (external link)
One last kind debate point here.... I know you are shooting for you, so that is all that really matters, but if the attempt here was to do "street photography", the idea of that genre is to not manipulate the image - ie clone or add detail that wasn't there. Its about capturing life as it really is happening. But as we all know, that is not what happens a lot of the time. Now that said, I get whey you removed the detail you did.... they all make sense to remove - particularly the poll through the head thing.

But if we are playing the purist role here (which I never do), you have heavily manipulated an image. A cranky street photography person might see that as violation of the genre. What you have here kind of sits in the middle of all this. You got a candid, and used it as a base for a manipulated image. If your are going full manipulated, then I would go further and fix the sky - put one in. Besides getting rid of stuff... I would get the other reds in the image under control. A lot could be done to make this image. It up to your imagination.

In the end, have it be what you want it to be. Just be clear that some will view it through other lenses and don't see it as you see it. Your kinda startling a couple of genre here. Faithful reproduction, or artistic representation. What ever your choice, make sure it is satisfying for you.

Good points. I'm not a purist and I get your point about the sky; but my goal is to get a good collection of tattoo shots so I focus on them. Getting a sky into a shot with blowing hair is beyond my pay grade. Thanks for the critique.

HOSTED PHOTO

-- Image Editing OK --

DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,898 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Aug 05, 2018 08:46 |  #13

Still way over done for me. Looks fake.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M
https://designcostello​.com/ (external link)

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,116 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Post edited 7 months ago by Croasdail.

Aug 05, 2018 22:44 |  #14

tats are way punchier - but the skin tones are way still going funky for me. I think the HDR processing is just messing with them for some reason. I don't use HDR, so wish I could help.... but its beyond my pay grade. And if it is a look "you" like, then cool. HDR is one of those things that either you like or don't. Not sure there is a right answer here. You are the most important person you need to make happy with this.

Mark

genedarrell
604 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 23, 2018 20:44 |  #15

It was alot of pp. I like the image alot. I think you could give it some saturation, brighten and increase contrast and would be great. The only other thing would be if she looked up towards the camera with her eyes.

www.genespics.com (external link)
Sony A7RIII,Sony F2.8 70-200, L F4 24-105, Canon 17-40 L,Canon 50 1.4, Sigma 120-300 2.8 IS,GODOX V860II SX2 ,Canon 2X extender II

sponsored links

1,290 views & 2 likes for this thread
Street Tattoo
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.