Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 30 Jul 2018 (Monday) 03:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Downgrading gear!

Sapre
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Aug 2015
Post edited 1 month ago by Sapre.

Jul 30, 2018 03:39 |  #1

Ive just bitten the bullet and sold many of my L lenses which were paired with my 5dii.

After some years of happy use and good shots, ive recently been using my xt1 with 18/55 zoom almost exclusively. Lighter simpler set up and less gear works well with young kids. My new target set up is xt1 with 18/55 and possibly a 35mm prime. Nice light and simple.

I mainly shoot family, people (not portraits) and street, with a little sports.

Only thing i will miss is my telephoto, so i plan to keep my sigma 120/400. Feels a bit overkill for my purposes to keep the 5d ii to use only with a telephoto, once or twice a year for sports (surf/kitesurf) shots...

So was thinking of downgrading the 5dii to either a 5d or maybe better a crop frame camera which will give my telephoto more reach (~200-600).

Any thoughts/observations on which body, or any other thoughts at all on what I propose?

I may live to regret selling all my fine canon gear!

Cheers

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jul 30, 2018 05:20 |  #2

80D.

ksbal
Goldmember
2,527 posts
Gallery: 304 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 30, 2018 08:32 |  #3

Second ^^

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,819 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 30, 2018 09:26 |  #4

OP said downgrading though. You guys are suggesting a better camera!

:D

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jul 30, 2018 10:49 |  #5

Well, OP said 5D or crop. Given that choice, I'd still go with the 80D.

Sapre
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Jul 30, 2018 13:07 as a reply to  @ Bassat's post |  #6

Thanks for the tips.

80d does look like a great camera, however, second hand market has it at around £600 vs a 5dii at circa £400, not much of a downgrade!! Or do i miss smthg? Any Other ideas?!

ksbal
Goldmember
2,527 posts
Gallery: 304 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited 1 month ago by ksbal.

Jul 30, 2018 14:00 as a reply to  @ Sapre's post |  #7

what does a 6D run over there?
If you are looking for small and light weight, what does an SL1 (eos 100D) look like price wise?

that is your smallest, lightest form for both a full frame and a crop option

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,818 posts
Gallery: 1237 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited 1 month ago by MalVeauX. (3 edits in all)

Jul 30, 2018 14:08 |  #8

I sold all my Canons except one. I kept my 1D Mark III & 300 F4L & 150-600. Strictly for birding from my kayak.

I got rid of two 5D's, 1Ds Mark II, and several L's, including the 135L, and all my primes, etc, and moved to Fuji.

I use the Fuji X-T1 daily.

I do not miss the full frames from Canon.

Fuji has a very good 400m lens now. You could sell your remaining Canon stuff and strictly use Fuji. The X-T1 has great focus and 8 FPS and it's really good at it and the new 400mm from Fuji is wicked sharp. People bird with that setup. You could sell your remaining Canon stuff and go to that lens and be done with having two systems to support.

Also, depending on what you're shooting, you could just adapt your Sigma telephoto to Fuji mount, and use focus peaking and still have 8 FPS. Focus peaking makes focus trivial.

I shoot with a Fuji X-T1 & Fuji X100S 99% these days.

The only reason I kept my 1D Mark III is because they're $400 cameras, worthless to sell, and is something I don't care about when I'm in my kayak on the water. I frankly don't use it much. I don't miss it either when I'm shooting Fuji.

I don't miss my full frames at all. I have 12mm F2, 21mm F1.4, 50mm F1.2 and 85mm F1.4. The "look" I liked from my full frame Canons show up very similar with these lenses, with a much smaller, more easy to use, no missed focus kit. Love it. And with the X100S, it has a built in 23mm F2 pancake. It's simply a joy to use when out and about and dead silent. I can't mention enough how much I love the silence of these cameras (I use electronic shutter when there's not a ton of action going on or when I'm not using lighting).

The only thing I haven't added yet is a 35mm F0.95 that I'm eyeballing.

+++++++++++++++

If you want a beater Canon for twice a year with a telephoto and sparse use, I'd get a used 7D or 1D3. They're $400 or less. So it's not like you have a $800+ camera sitting on a shelf for 4~5 months at a time. And they're built like tanks and take a beating. While there are clearly better cameras available, why spend twice as much for some day light application sports twice a year?

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,819 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 30, 2018 14:08 |  #9

fwiw, I agree that the 80D is probably the best option within a reasonable range of the 5DII, even though it does not meet the OP requirements. I definitely would not go down to a 5D classic. If going to one of the X00D cameras, make sure it has the same sensor as the 80D.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,251 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 30, 2018 14:15 |  #10

Sapre wrote in post #18673536 (external link)
...So was thinking of downgrading the 5dii to either a 5d...

I don't see the point of that. Both cameras are the same size and weight, the 5DII uses old technology and the 5D uses really old technology. You don't gain anything.

Some days I'm the dog, some days I'm the lamppost.

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,548 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined May 2010

Jul 30, 2018 14:17 |  #11

Or how about just using the 40mm pancake on your 5d2? By todays standards the 5d2 is already pretty downgraded.

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
Canon 5DII • 7DII • G15 • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 24-70L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 1.4x • 600EX II • 270 EX II

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,716 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 30, 2018 14:25 |  #12

Id suggest just getting the Fuji 100-400 but that will set you back quite a bit compared to what you'll get for the sigma and 5d2.

So while it might seem like a bit of "overkill" to just have the 5d2 to use a few times with the 120-400 really sticking with it might be the best and most cost effective option

Sapre
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Aug 2015
Post edited 1 month ago by Sapre.

Jul 30, 2018 14:50 |  #13

Thanks folks, this is all helpful stuff.

Id love to get the fuji 120-400, but simply cant justify the spend for my very infrequent use.

I’ll look into some of the suggested bodies (7d etc), quite like the extra reach of the zoom.. but Im beginning to think that sticking with what i have might be a good option.

MalV- coulnt agree more with much of what you said. Exactly why i sold the canon lenses, very happy with the xt1 and dont even feel the need to upgrade to the xt2. I also looked into converters so that i could use the sigma lens on the fuji but understood that it would have no aperture control or af. Will read up on focus peaking you mentioned.

Cheers all

Mbell1975
248 posts
Joined Jul 2018
Post edited 1 month ago by Mbell1975. (2 edits in all)

Jul 30, 2018 21:11 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

Ive used mostly crop sensors in the past before switching to FF about 5 years ago with a 5DII, then a 5DIII and then a 6D. Sold my 6D a few months ago and went Panasonic, realized that was a mistake a few weeks later and bought a 77D. 3 shoots with the 77D and I grabbed a used 6D just this morning. Not that the 77D is a bad camera by any stretch, its a steal for $649 IMO but when you are so used to the focal lengths, better viewfinders, better build etc...of a FF model, its kind of hard to go back. My 70-200 felt super cramped with the 77D after being so used to how it looked and felt on a FF. Like I always felt I need to zoom way out or back up...I might be keeping the 77D as my back up but I am also considering returning it and getting another used 6D as a backup as I've realized its probably my favorite Canon camera of all time and how much I missed it. Its just perfect for what I do and my needs. I suggest you check out the 77D before getting an 80D. Its 99% the same camera and its $350 cheaper.

sponsored links

551 views & 1 like for this thread
Downgrading gear!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.