Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 24 Jul 2018 (Tuesday) 17:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lenses for 6D Mark ll

LynneVictor
115 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Jul 24, 2018 17:58 |  #1

I just purchased this camera, I also have a 70D. What lenses fit the full frame camera? I know the EF lenses are supposed to work but I keep seeing EF M ones also.

Canon 70D, 6D Mark ll, Canon 55-250mm, Canon 18-135mm, Tamron 28-300mm, Tamrom 150-600mm and Canon 20mm f2.8

sponsored links
Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,349 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 6 months ago by Snydremark. (3 edits in all)

Jul 24, 2018 18:41 |  #2

LynneVictor wrote in post #18669894 (external link)
I just purchased this camera, I also have a 70D. What lenses fit the full frame camera? I know the EF lenses are supposed to work but I keep seeing EF M ones also.

EF mount only; EF-M is only for the EOS-M (mirrorless) line and EF-S are for the APS-C (crop) lines of bodies.

EDIT:
That is when looking at Canon lenses. If you are looking into Tamron or Sigma lenses, then you'll want to look for:

Tamron: Di (not Di II (APS-C/crop) or Di III (mirrorless))
Sigma: DG (not DN (mirrorless) or DC (APS-C/crop))

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,791 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 24, 2018 19:11 |  #3

Just get Canon "L series" lenses and you won't go wrong.

They will fit, and perform well.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jul 24, 2018 19:18 |  #4

Snydremark wrote in post #18669923 (external link)
EF mount only; EF-M is only for the EOS-M (mirrorless) line and EF-S are for the APS-C (crop) lines of bodies.

EDIT:
That is when looking at Canon lenses. If you are looking into Tamron or Sigma lenses, then you'll want to look for:

Tamron: Di (not Di II (APS-C/crop) or Di III (mirrorless))
Sigma: DG (not DN (mirrorless) or DC (APS-C/crop))

Fixed your last line for you. Get DC lenses, not DC lenses doesn't make a ton of sense.

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,349 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 24, 2018 19:32 |  #5

Bassat wrote in post #18669968 (external link)
Fixed your last line for you. Get DC lenses, not DC lenses doesn't make a ton of sense.

FFS! Thanks, Bassat; I "fixed" that at least twice before I actually hit submit and still managed to f it up :|

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jul 24, 2018 20:23 |  #6

Snydremark wrote in post #18669978 (external link)
FFS! Thanks, Bassat; I "fixed" that at least twice before I actually hit submit and still managed to f it up :|

You didn't need to admit that. I thought is was just a typo. :)

elitejp
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 24, 2018 21:03 |  #7

I really like the the 70-200 f2.8 and 135mm. Pick your brand im sure they are all awesome.
But really just pick a focal length that you like.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,293 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 25, 2018 00:03 |  #8

Get the 24-105L. These things are cheap and plentiful on the used market because it is a,kit lens. After a while you'll know what FLs you like and can expand your collection.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

LynneVictor
THREAD ­ STARTER
115 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Jul 27, 2018 20:47 as a reply to  @ Snydremark's post |  #9

Thank you.

Canon 70D, 6D Mark ll, Canon 55-250mm, Canon 18-135mm, Tamron 28-300mm, Tamrom 150-600mm and Canon 20mm f2.8

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,009 posts
Joined Nov 2005
Post edited 6 months ago by RPCrowe. (4 edits in all)

Jul 31, 2018 09:09 |  #10

You already have a wide focal range covered with your 28-300mm and 150-300mm Tamron lenses. Your lens additions should be predicated by what you want to photograph and where you believe your present lenses are lacking.

I would suggest that you add a mid-range zoom with a constant f/2.8 aperture as your first purchase for your new 6D2. Which specific lens you purchase might have a lot to do with your budget.

I am not crazy keen about extreme wide angle lenses. IMO, they are tools for specific uses and many photographers do not use them correctly. Thus, a mid-range zoom with a 28mm wide end is quite sufficient for my needs on a full frame camera.

If I were in your position, I would look into any of the three following lenses as my first choice in supplementing the lenses you already own.

The Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 lens is a relatively inexpensive mid-range zoom with a constant f/2.8 aperture. You have an advantage in that you could try that focal range with your 28-300mm lens on your 6D2. The Canon EF24-105mm f/4L IS Mark 2 is another very good mid-range zoom but not quite fast enough for my use as a go-to, do-everything mid-range zoom.

Another lens which can be a dual purpose glass is a 90mm (Tamron) or 100mm (Canon) f/2.8 macro. Both of these lenses can be had with image stabilization (IS for Canon or VC for Tamron) and I would opt for one with that capability; because these lenses are not only excellent for macro photography, they also are quite decent for portraits.

Finally, I would look into a very fast prime lens for low light shooting. The Nifty-Fifty (Canon 50mm f/1.8) is the least expensive of these lenses but, may not be the greatest quality. There are other 50mm lenses by Canon, Tamron and Sigma which are better in quality.

I personally enjoy using the following two Canon lenses on my 6D2: EF 35mm f/2 IS, which is IMO one of the best low light lenses around (and can be used as a "normal" angle fast prime on your crop sensor camera) and the EF 85mm f/1.8, which is a darn good portrait lens on both your crop and full frame sensor cameras. Neither of these lenses can be called cheap but their prices (especially if bought used) should not force anyone to sell a kidney to afford. They are both good values, especially at their used price point... I was able to pick up used mint copies of these lenses in the $250 to $300 range...

If you really like portrait work and have deep pockets, the relatively new Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L lens is probably the best portrait lens out there, followed by the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 Art and the Tamron 85mm f/1.8. I would shy away from the Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L lens as that lens (although producing magical images) is quite difficult to use; especially for a non-expert photographer. It is also in the "kidney sale" price area :p

In the 85mm portrait range, my 85mm f/1.8 Canon produces 85-90 percent of what you might get with lenses that cost anywhere from three to five times the price.

Finally, take advantage of the YouTube reviews of various lenses. But, remember they are not always totally accurate...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

981 views & 11 likes for this thread
Lenses for 6D Mark ll
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.