Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
Thread started 02 Aug 2018 (Thursday) 01:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shots from tonight, would like advice

goalerjones
297 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Joined May 2018
Post edited 7 months ago by goalerjones.

Aug 02, 2018 01:02 |  #1

I've been doing shots from around the county to contribute to our church stock footage database for our media ministry. I've stayed away from events but tonight tried to capture our Wednesday evening service. I'm having problems compensating for multiple targets, low light, stage lights, and since it's a church service, trying to stay out of the way and not draw attention to myself. here are some shots, I've tried to clean them up with Lightroom, but I'm still learning that too. Thanks in advance for your help. I only used my camera, lenses and a tripod, no flashes.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
goalerjones
THREAD ­ STARTER
297 posts
Joined May 2018

Aug 02, 2018 01:03 |  #2

more shots

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

goalerjones
THREAD ­ STARTER
297 posts
Joined May 2018

Aug 02, 2018 01:03 |  #3

last set

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

PhotosGuy
75,764 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 02, 2018 08:56 |  #4

Overall, they're a good start. What WB (white balance) did you use? For me, they're a little too warm, & I'd try to hit a more neutral balance in the incandescent lighting on the people.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,156 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 02, 2018 09:01 |  #5

You need faster glass. F5.6 at 1/25 is not cutting it with movement.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

goalerjones
THREAD ­ STARTER
297 posts
Joined May 2018

Aug 02, 2018 17:12 as a reply to  @ Chet's post |  #6

So, aside from a new lens (wife already got nervous from all my recent upgrades), is there anything I can do to achieve the same or at least comparable results? I was able to use the tripod, and TBH, I shot these all on automatic setting because I was so afraid I'd mess them up, and didn't want to take chances.

BushWacker
Goldmember
2,008 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 03, 2018 03:10 |  #7

"Try" shooting in Shutter Priority mode and as a rule of thumb keep the shutter speed close to the focal length. In other words if you are shooting at 300mm try and use 300th of a second (or at least 250th) or at 60mm a 60th of a second, this will work down to about a 30th of a second but you can't shoot any slower if anything is moving (including the camera). This will help with Motion Blur but at the speed of your lens you will probably end up with some pretty dark pictures. Pictures can be lightened up in Photoshop but you can't correct Motion Blur. On the 5dIII you can easily use 3200 ISO and even 6400 with pretty good results, especially after a little noise reduction in post. Hope that helps but you are really going to need some faster glass. You can get a used Sigma 50mm f/1.4 for under $300 and there are several other fast prime lenses you can get pretty cheap. I also saw a used Sigma 85mm f/1.4 (non-Art) for about $500. You will find you can get Much better results with something at Least f/2.8 if not even faster.

"When I shoot something I use a Canon!"
-------------- Gear List | flickr (external link) --------------

goalerjones
THREAD ­ STARTER
297 posts
Joined May 2018

Aug 03, 2018 12:53 |  #8

Thanks guys, I'm looking at a Tamron 70-200 2.8 used lens now. Cheaper than the Canon counterpart and more wife-friendly. I appreciate the feedback.

BushWacker
Goldmember
2,008 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 04, 2018 17:38 as a reply to  @ goalerjones's post |  #9

That is an excellent lens and a good choice for what you need.

"When I shoot something I use a Canon!"
-------------- Gear List | flickr (external link) --------------

emomophantom
290 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 18, 2018 12:43 |  #10

White balance is always an issue in these environments particularly with odd stage lights. If you can get the skin tones right, prioritize that. If not (because maybe they're getting hit with a blue LED or something), then embrace the stage lights and don't try to over-correct. The closeup of the singer isn't usable and the back of the curly hair isn't working either. One of the biggest mistakes I see photographers making with the closeups is forgetting that these are portraits. You haven't made that error - I'm just pointing it out as something to be aware of. For any live shot you take, ask yourself "would this stand alone as a portrait?" Is the person making a crazy face, are they turned away, is the light bad, etc... Also, that 2.8 lens will be much better, although you'll want both so you can get wide. Get used to shooting in Manual mode and don't get married to your camera's meter. I rarely even look at it anymore. Good start.

- Jon
www.thatverynextthing.​com (external link)

Nashville Band Photographer / Nashville Music Photographer

www.thatverynextthing.​com (external link)

diveguy
90 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Sep 19, 2018 00:12 |  #11

I think you're on the right track and have a few nice ones here.

I like your first photo the most. There's nothing wrong with having your main subject in the light and having the other areas fall off into darkness, as in this photo. In the first photo, that darkness frames the subject and draws the eye to him.

On photo #2, there is too much ceiling and my eye gets drawn to the air conditioning duct at the top. If you shot this tighter and focused on the action on the quarter of the image, it would tell a better story. Colors are always tough when there are different color spot lights being used, but you can also try a manual white balance to get it looking more natural. Find the setting on your camera where you can choose the color temperature by Kelvin and start at 3300 (for the color of the tungsten lights), then dial it up or down until you get the color you like.

---------------
Chris Constantine
Chris Constantine Photography
San Rafael, California 94903
https://www.chrisconst​antinephoto.com (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/chrisconstantineph​oto (external link)

goalerjones
THREAD ­ STARTER
297 posts
Joined May 2018
Post edited 5 months ago by goalerjones.

Sep 19, 2018 01:09 |  #12

thanks guys, I've purchased a Canon non IS 70-200 2.8 L lens (more economical) and have used it to shoot a different, better lit ceremony with good results (so much sharper). I will take the white balance suggestions to heart since these lights seem to give me lots of trouble.

hennie
Goldmember
1,246 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited 6 months ago by hennie.

Sep 19, 2018 09:53 as a reply to  @ goalerjones's post |  #13

Tamron 70-200 2.8 is great piece of glass. I use it often in theatre in dim light. Mostly Tv or Manual. IS (VC) is great and allows for 1/125 handheld on static scenes. Use spot metering since the subject most of the time will get more light than the surroundings. When using a non stabilized lens consider using a monopod, much cheaper than stabilized lenses and easier to use from the audience.

BJWOK
Cream of the Crop
6,141 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 14, 2018 19:12 |  #14

Wow, that ISO on the mark iii is horrible that high :(

I agree, you gotta grab some faster glass for this.

My name is Benon (BJWOK are my initials) :)
www.bjwok.com (external link) <<-- NEW LIGHTROOM CC & LIGHTROOM CC CLASSIC PRESETS FOR MUSIC PHOTOGRAPHERS
Benon Koebsch - Photographer (external link) (Facebook)
Gives A Minute (external link) (YouTube channel)

sponsored links

882 views & 5 likes for this thread
Shots from tonight, would like advice
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.