Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 31 Jul 2018 (Tuesday) 10:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Newbie trying to come up with a few main lenses for a Canon 6D for everyday use?

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,821 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited 7 months ago by mwsilver. (3 edits in all)

Aug 02, 2018 10:42 |  #31

theskyisthelimit99 wrote in post #18675629 (external link)
Thanks ill keep that one in mind.. does that have any sort of stabilization though.. i guess if you keep still it should still take a decent shot?

Yes it is stabilised. The OS in the description is Sigma's designation for stabilization. There are two versions. The Sports version is $1800 new. The Contemporary version which I believe is smaller and lighter goes for around $1, 000 new. Even used, both versions are going to be out of your current lens budget, although the Contemporary model may be relatively close.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

theskyisthelimit99
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Jul 2018

Aug 02, 2018 13:46 |  #32

mwsilver wrote in post #18675660 (external link)
Yes it is stabilised. The OS in the description is Sigma's designation for stabilization. There are two versions. The Sports version is $1800 new. The Contemporary version which I believe is smaller and lighter goes for around $1, 000 new. Even used, both versions are going to be out of your current lens budget, although the Contemporary model may be relatively close.

Yep it looks like the contemporary is close, though i dont need at the moment (i think around $500-$600 used, which is about the max for me per lens.. i blew the overall budget for now by 2x haha).

Side question related to the canon in general..

Is it common to end up with cr2 files that have say 3-6 white/red pixels.. those become crosses when converted to jpg ala compression i think. I ran into this yesterday with some 50mm test shots (it wasnt the lens i know that much and i dont think the camera/sensor is bad either).. i ran the manual clean 30sec x 3 remap sensor, they havent re-appeared..

I'm just assuming this can happen from time to time, maybe necessary to do the remap every so often to avoid this? (most couldnt be seen unless viewed on a 4k set or zooming in a few rolls of the mouse)

Canon 6D + Rokino EF 14mm f2.8 + Canon EF 50mm f1.8 STM + Tamron EF 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD SP Asph (IF) + Tamron EF 28-300 Di VC PZD Japan f/3.5-6.3 + Celestron 8SE + ZWO ASI 224 Cmos Cam

wyntastr
701 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2012
Post edited 7 months ago by wyntastr.

Aug 04, 2018 12:10 |  #33

mwsilver wrote in post #18675660 (external link)

Both Sigma lenses I mentioned are pre-Sports and Contemporary releases and can be had for prices around 600-900 used. That's why I mentioned that the prices are becoming more attractive on them now that the Contemporary and Sports models have been released.
This is a link to the 150-500 I mentioned.
https://www.amazon.com …T=_SY300_QL70_&​dpSrc=srch (external link)

6D - 1D Mk III - 60D - Rokinon 8 fisheye - EF 17-40 f/4L - EF 40 f/2.8 STM - EF 50 f/1.8 Mk I - EF 85 f/1.8 - EF 70-200 f/4L - EF 80-200 f/2.8L Magic Drainpipe - EF 300mm f/2.8 IS L - EF 100-400L

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,821 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 04, 2018 13:18 |  #34

wyntastr wrote in post #18677181 (external link)
Both Sigma lenses I mentioned are pre-Sports and Contemporary releases and can be had for prices around 600-900 used. That's why I mentioned that the prices are becoming more attractive on them now that the Contemporary and Sports models have been released.
This is a link to the 150-500 I mentioned.
https://www.amazon.com …T=_SY300_QL70_&​dpSrc=srch (external link)

Yep I think we're on the same page. If I recall the OP was budgeting for 3 used lenses at around $150 each and I and others suggested using that approx. $450 towards a single lens of better quality and utility. The OP also seems to be interested in zoom lenses with a wider focal range and was considering the Tamron 18-400mm before he realized it was a crop sensor design. We can only provide suggestions for a variety of options. In the end the OP needs to determine what works best for him.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,245 views & 5 likes for this thread
Newbie trying to come up with a few main lenses for a Canon 6D for everyday use?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.