Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 05 Aug 2018 (Sunday) 21:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Does mirrorless do anything for you?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,640 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Aug 06, 2018 21:04 as a reply to  @ post 18678962 |  #61

I shoot weddings, and yes the event may be 8 hours (actually closer to 12 if you have to be there as the party is getting ready), but you aren't shooting non-stop, there are plenty of downtime where the camera is hanging down and not being held up to shoot. Between travel between areas of various shoots, during the reception dinner, etc.

Again, it is not a common occurrence to be shooting hours upon hours with the camera in the ready to shoot position. In those less frequent types of situations, I can see overall weight being an issue, but then again a 1lb or 2 across 720 minutes of shooting isn't going to make a huge difference in fatigue.

I also forgot to mention I strap ALL my bodies. A hand strap greatly reduces hand and finger fatigue across hours of shooting. It allows me to hold a camera with my fingers completely relaxed and not gripping the camera.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links
mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,401 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 06, 2018 21:08 |  #62

Do the people complaining about DSLR size carry tons of lenses everywhere? I have a nice collection but I tend to go out with 1-2 lenses most of the time which keeps the weight reasonable.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,640 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed.

Aug 06, 2018 21:11 as a reply to  @ mike_d's post |  #63

Personally I have 2 types of camera cases (actually 3). I have a shoulder bag where I pack the 2 most used lenses and a body or 2, but then bring along my Pelican cases with lighting and other lenses. Those stay in the car, or near me in a secure location, and seldom (but have needed to from time to time) do I switch out gear from the hard case to the soft bag.

I bought Pelican cases when they were on sale, and then switched out the cheap wheels with roller blade wheels. It made a big difference in wheeling those around. and I can also put my shoulder bag on the hard case as I roll it around. I have a Streetwalker backpack I can use if I need to take alot of gear and cannot roll a case around, but seldom use it. I also don't trek or hike with my gear, those that do will have a different perspective on this.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 06, 2018 21:13 |  #64
bannedPermanent ban

Mbell1975 wrote in post #18678964 (external link)
A bit dramatic with the "dinosaur" comment no? The a7iii is only half a pound lighter than the 7D. If you really need small and light, why not get something like a Fuji X-T20? Considerably smaller than any Sony A model and half the weight of the a7iii. Not to mention Fuji's compact lenses are WAY smaller and lighter than any Sony lens.

I tried going the Fuji route but the image quality just did not cut it. During my travels I shoot both street and landscapes and print landscapes large...Fuji just did not have the details for fine landscapes.

For me the Sony was a good compromise as its image quality is great.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Aug 06, 2018 21:15 |  #65
bannedPermanent ban

mike_d wrote in post #18678968 (external link)
Do the people complaining about DSLR size carry tons of lenses everywhere? I have a nice collection but I tend to go out with 1-2 lenses most of the time which keeps the weight reasonable.

+1
1 body, 2 lenses, tops.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 06, 2018 21:16 |  #66
bannedPermanent ban

I carry 4 lenses and a spare camera with me all the time...but they are in the pack. It's the weight hanging off your wrist that really matters, not what you carry in the pack.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 06, 2018 21:21 |  #67
bannedPermanent ban

Bassat wrote in post #18678974 (external link)
+1
1 body, 2 lenses, tops.

When traveling I always have a spare. I also have 4 lenses ( 18, 25, 35, 85 ).

Like I said previously, it's not the total weight of equipment in your pack...it's the weight of the camera / lens hanging off your wrist for the day.

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Aug 06, 2018 21:26 |  #68
bannedPermanent ban

Hogloff wrote in post #18678980 (external link)
When traveling I always have a spare. I also have 4 lenses ( 18, 25, 35, 85 ).

Like I said previously, it's not the total weight of equipment in your pack...it's the weight of the camera / lens hanging off your wrist for the day.

Agreed. That's why my travel gear is a cell phone.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 06, 2018 21:29 |  #69
bannedPermanent ban

Bassat wrote in post #18678986 (external link)
Agreed. That's why my travel gear is a cell phone.

I travel for my photography. My cell phone is used when I'm home. When I'm in Morocco or Vietnam...no way is my camera sitting at home on the shelf.

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
9,339 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 06, 2018 21:36 |  #70

Bear Dale wrote in post #18678191 (external link)

If Canon bring out a FF ML body like the one that Nikon is supposedly bringing out in a few weeks, would you dump your DLSR for it?

No.

I already dumped my Canon DSLR 3 years ago :-)

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀIV - α7ʀIII
Sigma 14-24 f2.8 ART - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sigma 35 f1.2 ART - Sony 35 1.8 - Sony/Zeiss 55 1.8 - Sony 85GM

Mbell1975
248 posts
Joined Jul 2018
Post edited over 1 year ago by Mbell1975. (2 edits in all)

Aug 06, 2018 21:50 |  #71
bannedPermanent ban

Hogloff wrote in post #18678971 (external link)
I tried going the Fuji route but the image quality just did not cut it. During my travels I shoot both street and landscapes and print landscapes large...Fuji just did not have the details for fine landscapes.

For me the Sony was a good compromise as its image quality is great.

Well at least you gave it a shot. I just dont get how its that much of a difference to be honest. I had thought a smaller and lighter camera might be cool too but an a7iii is 1.43lbs and a 6Dii is 1.51lbs. Pretty much zero difference at all, its really not that much smaller and lighter but if works for you thats cool.

Bear ­ Dale
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,866 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by Bear Dale.

Aug 06, 2018 22:17 |  #72

Hogloff wrote in post #18678933 (external link)
Have you carried the 5DIV / D850 with lenses attached for an entire day? I have and it ain't fun...to the point I just put the camera away.

What Sony camera did you try? I don't cramp and the EVF of the A7R2 is great. It took me about 2 months to really get comfortable with my Sony cameras...now picking up my 7D feels like I'm hoisting a dinosaur...and once I get my hands on an A73...the 7D will be extinct.

No, I have never carried and used a camera for 12 hours straight, nor do I ever want to. I do photography for my pleasure.

I've used the A73ii (borrowed for a few days) and the RX10MkIII and also a Panasonic FZ2500 (bridge cameras which I owned both) and they aren't much smaller than a DSLR either side by side.

I now shoot Nikon and have the D850, I am over 6' and have large hands, but my wife is petite and she doesn't think the D850 is large either even when it has the grip.

Having held and used the A7 alongside the D850 I think the size and weight advantage is way overblown.

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

aezoss
576 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Joined Nov 2013
Post edited over 1 year ago by aezoss. (2 edits in all)

Aug 06, 2018 22:53 |  #73

Bear Dale wrote in post #18678191 (external link)
If Canon bring out a FF ML body like the one that Nikon is supposedly bringing out in a few weeks, would you dump your DLSR for it?

Test driving a X-T2 + 23 2.0 + 56 1.2 + 90 2.0 this weekend. Short answer, no, the DSLRs aren't going anywhere. The X-T2 produces beautiful images but continuous AF is, at least with the 56 & 90, terrible (in boost mode). Tried shooting dog agility with it. Holy cow it was bad, particularly the 90. The closer the subject the worse the AF.

Even lumbering Rottweilers weren't easy for the AF to track. Dark coats were often difficult to lock on to. Once it lost a lock good luck getting it back.

I'm sure some/most of this is user error combined with 'portrait' lenses but since this is the configuration I'd most likely buy it seems fair to test it as a general purpose go everywhere system.

It's not really an either/or question. If I had disposable cash I'd buy the X-T2. The pictures it produces are great. The form factor with the lenses I'm using are much smaller/lighter than my equivalent DSLR. My better half really liked the ergonomics as well. She doesn't like SLR OVFs but really liked the EVF.

The fact my 6D destroys it in AF performance makes me wonder if I could live with the X-T2 though. No one sits still in our house.

To tie this to the OP's qn, Canon will have to release a mirrorless body with AF equal to or better than their DSLRs for me to go all in. Native EF would be nice but a new mount wouldn't be a deal breaker if accompanied by a good selection of lenses.

Snapshot of our 13 year old retired racer. Resized sooc jpg.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,326 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 06, 2018 22:57 |  #74

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18678940 (external link)
I am not a big guy, but I carry around a 5D4/70-200 and a 7d2/24-70 for several hours during games. The one sits on a hip holster while I hold the other. Sure it's a bit heavy, but it doesn't detract from my shooting needs/desires. I guess I haven't reached that point in my life yet where I need to really make a weight/size thing one of my top priorities. I am sure the older I get, the greater that need. I am very interested in a high quality EVF that shows all my settings realtime as well as eye focus, and finally being able to try old lenses. Having the overall package size smaller is probably about in the middle of my need/want list.

shooting in a professional environment is different than shooting casually. I certainly DONT want to carry the same photography stuff when shooting an event vs casually strolling about the beach. I do remember running with a 24-70 f2.8 + 100 f2 + 200 f2, so it's not out of the question with a big and heavy setup for event shooting.

The issue is that I love that sort of IQ for my everyday shooting as well..... I'm not interested in running a separate camera for casual shooting, instead, simply change out lenses.

when I was shooting the 6D + 5D + A7r, I could easily swap between cameras, and I was willing to bear the size and weight of DSLR.... as time went on, DSLR became more and more burdensome. For me, it was when using them back to back, that I really felt the weight. At a point, the A7 was my second body, but over time, that got reversed, it became my primary body DESPITE the obvious flaws. The lightweight, less intimidating form factor started to become a way of life, and over time, my second body was simply another A7 body.

My most common lens is the FE 35 f2.8. Possibly the least sexy lens in the Sony lineup, yet it's a total winner for me. Total weight of 750g, less than most, if not all DSLR's by themselves. ALso takes up a lot less volume, which is very important. Point the camera at arms length to people, they simply dont care about that useless pancake lens on an equally useless camera :-P

to answer your question, 1 lenses most the time when shooting casually. If I predict the place to be very photogenic, something like the Getty Museum for instance, then I may consider 2 lenses. For dedicated landscape, events, or portrait shooting, mostly 3, sometimes 2.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Aug 07, 2018 01:07 |  #75
bannedPermanent ban

Hogloff wrote in post #18678987 (external link)
I travel for my photography. My cell phone is used when I'm home. When I'm in Morocco or Vietnam...no way is my camera sitting at home on the shelf.

Exact opposite here. If/when I travel, it is for pleasure. I want to see and enjoy the places I visit. A camera would just be in the way of both.

BTW, I don't use the cell phone (or its camera) much when I'm home, either.

sponsored links

43,131 views & 388 likes for this thread
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.