Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 24 Jul 2018 (Tuesday) 19:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Any Point in Upgrading Lightroom?

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,964 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 7 months ago by BigAl007.

Jul 29, 2018 01:55 |  #31

Exactly what Dan said. One thing to note is that the very latest Lr has a new presets management system which is very good. Over a period of time I managed to end up losing some of my home rolled presets, and recreating them, including using the same names. The last major upgrade managed to find and import both sets, and was even happy to put them all in the same presets group and kept the same names too.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,338 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 29, 2018 08:40 |  #32

I think 7.3 converted presets to xmp so they could be stared with PS but there were a few issues. I believe Adobe corrected them with 7.4.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Pax2You
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 01, 2018 18:20 |  #33

I finally upgraded from LR5.7 to 6 but didn't see any real improvements other than camera compatibility. I obtained a refund. For cameras not compatible with 5.7, I do my initial developing with RAW Therapee 5.3 (free) and then save as a Tiff before final tweaking in LR 5.7

Panasonic G9, Panaleica 100-400, Samyang 12mm F2 NCS CS, Sigma APO 2x DG EX TC, Tiffen aXent ND 3.0 (ND1000) filter, Olympus OMD E-M5, Oly 14-42mm, Oly 12-50mm, ZEQ25gt Mount, plus a few other lenses, extension tubes, and general mish-mash

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,827 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited 7 months ago by mwsilver.

Aug 08, 2018 11:09 |  #34

Wilt wrote in post #18671782 (external link)
It is reports like this one which make me glad to pay a bit more for DVD for my software, rather than relying upon download only!

What current software are you using that's still available on a DVD?

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,365 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 7 months ago by Wilt.

Aug 08, 2018 11:24 as a reply to  @ mwsilver's post |  #35

I purchased my LR5, and later LR6 and paid extra for it to be in DVD form. I purchased PaintShop Pro 2018 upgrade to my existing license, and paid extra for it to be in DVD form.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,827 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited 7 months ago by mwsilver. (3 edits in all)

Aug 08, 2018 12:38 |  #36

Wilt wrote in post #18680155 (external link)
I purchased my LR5, and later LR6 and paid extra for it to be in DVD form. I purchased PaintShop Pro 2018 upgrade to my existing license, and paid extra for it to be in DVD form.

I can't speak to what you have specifically, but most of the recent software I've seen that is still distributed on DVD requires an internet connection to install because the software is not complete and the install program downloads everything that is not included. When you download software directly you often get the same exact install file downloaded to your PC which is on the DVD version, and which you can write to a DVD or backup drive without the additional cost.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

cristphoto
940 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 12, 2018 15:31 |  #37

I currently have the last perpetual Lightroom version (6.14) on my desktop and laptop. If I update to the subscription version is the entire program loaded onto the computer? I ask because I often do location shooting and don't have internet access if the latest requires internet to run the program. I can currently take my laptop anywhere and have access to all Lightroom (and Photoshop CS5) features.

5D MKIV x2, 24L II, 35L II, 50L, 85LIS, 100LIS Macro, 135L, 300LIS, 16-35LIS, 24-70L, 70-200LIS, 100-400LIS

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,338 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 12, 2018 16:39 |  #38

cristphoto wrote in post #18682877 (external link)
I currently have the last perpetual Lightroom version (6.14) on my desktop and laptop. If I update to the subscription version is the entire program loaded onto the computer? I ask because I often do location shooting and don't have internet access if the latest requires internet to run the program. I can currently take my laptop anywhere and have access to all Lightroom (and Photoshop CS5) features.

Yes it is. It is no different than version 6. With the monthly plan you can be without internet access for a month. 3 months with the annual plan. You get an install app with the plan. If you don't want files in the cloud don't install LR CC which was recently introduced. It is designed for mobile apps like iPhones, etc. Install LR Classic CC which is LR7. With LR7 you have the option to sync files to the cloud - only if you want to.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

rossmith
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined May 2018

Aug 13, 2018 01:20 |  #39

Yes, there are many reasons to upgrade it, such as the new version is much faster than the old. Also, it lets you synchronize photos to use with the Lightroom mobile apps.

An amateur graphic artist: E-commerce Product Photo (external link) and Commercial Photography Blog (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,964 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 13, 2018 04:24 |  #40

rossmith wrote in post #18683149 (external link)
Yes, there are many reasons to upgrade it, such as the new version is much faster than the old. Also, it lets you synchronize photos to use with the Lightroom mobile apps.

Speed increases do seem to be use case dependent. Many do see some increase, while many others see little to no performance change. There are even some who see a slow down of performance in the develop module, particularly those who make significant use of the local adjustment tools.

The Lr mobile app is quite good, you can download it to your smart devices for free, even if you don't upgrade your Lr version. As a stand alone product it is kind of OK, you can do a little work to your phone images. With Lr CC Classic (AKA Lr 7) you can also set it up so that you can synchronize images from your catalogue, from shared collections, and you get smart previews on the device. It's much like using Dropbox in that they are not published on the web. It also allows you to add phone images and they will be synced to your computer. It is much better than using say Dropbox and a watched folder. Because it is integrated to a degree it allows the images to be placed in folders of your choice, and will even automate folders by date. You don't have to add all of the phone pictures to the Lr app either. It's nice having processed but unpublished images to hand on my large screen phone to show to people, and to add images back from the device when required. All the time running comfortable old Lr CC Classic not the "new" web centric CC offering.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links

3,672 views & 7 likes for this thread
Any Point in Upgrading Lightroom?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.