Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 08 Aug 2018 (Wednesday) 22:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I am not going to totally change systems

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,245 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Aug 08, 2018 22:15 |  #1

But, I do want a Sony for its eye autofocus capability. That would really make my life easier on model shoots. A local guy has an A7Rii at a very good price. Nice thing about adding this camera to my present kit is that I can still use my Canon glass (with an adapter) as well as my Godox line of flashes and accessories (as long as I get a XProS transceiver)...

I have a couple of cameras as well as a couple of flashes to sell that will fund the used A7Rii... The A7Riii might be a more capable camera but, it is about twice the price that I will be paying for the A7Rii

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
Mbell1975
248 posts
Joined Jul 2018
Post edited over 1 year ago by Mbell1975. (5 edits in all)

Aug 09, 2018 02:17 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

RPCrowe wrote in post #18680547 (external link)
But, I do want a Sony for its eye autofocus capability. That would really make my life easier on model shoots. A local guy has an A7Rii at a very good price. Nice thing about adding this camera to my present kit is that I can still use my Canon glass (with an adapter) as well as my Godox line of flashes and accessories (as long as I get a XProS transceiver)...

I have a couple of cameras as well as a couple of flashes to sell that will fund the used A7Rii... The A7Riii might be a more capable camera but, it is about twice the price that I will be paying for the A7Rii

Rent it first. I shoot fashion and glamour professionally and thought the same thing you did and didn't like the a7Rii at all after a few days with it. The EVF will drive you nuts in a studio with strobe lights and we are spoiled by Canon's superior color science and skin tones. Be prepared to say "ugh" a lot while looking at the skin tones of your model (especially with strobes) straight off the camera as you spend an hour trying to fix it. if you are set on a high resolution full frame, pay a little more and get a used 5Ds, its a totally superior camera over the a7rii or iii for what we shoot IMO and you dont need a lousy adapter or extra accessories to make flashes work which is ridiculous.

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,448 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 09, 2018 10:51 |  #3

I've thought about eye detect focus. It would be okay to have in a camera, but I was considering how it would apply to my style of shooting. Often, I shoot several people, so single point focus works fine for that. When I shoot models or individuals, there are plenty of times where I focus on their nose or chest when I want to push the field of focus forward or backward a little bit (when it's deep enough to get the eyes regardless).

For video I enjoy auto tracking, but I question whether I'd use eye detect a lot if my camera had it. As long as it adds little to a camera price, I think it's a nice tool.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

tdlavigne
364 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Post edited over 1 year ago by tdlavigne.

Aug 18, 2018 05:18 |  #4

Dunno about the A7RII as I have a III, but if the colors are anything alike then I actually prefer the Sony colors (and the glass) to the Canon counterparts. Never thought I'd say it as that was my main complaint after shooting the first A7 and Nikon for about a decade (with Canon mixed in in between), but I really do like the color just as much if not more than any other brand. That's subjective though, so it's really a question of whether or not you want to spend the 15 minutes emulating another brand's color science or not if you don't like it.

The Eye-AF is ridiculously good on the III (again, not familiar with the II so YMMV) and it feel like I'm almost cheating, everything is in focus...like maybe 1 out of a 100 at most are a miss. Overall it's very good AF, even in tracking although I still prefer an old 7D for fast movement.

As for studio: the EVF is more than adequate. I shoot in a dimly lit space with strobes (and no modeling lights) all the time. You just have to turn live-view preview off in settings. Worked on older NEX-6, A7, A6300, and now A7RIII. The EVF isn't the best by far (GH5 is the best I've used so far), but it's usable in studio.

All that being said, time for some possibly bad news:

Canon via an adapter won't work as good as the native glass. I haven't kept up with which ones or which adapters work best or not at all, but there's a bunch of documentation on the net that'll go into it. General consensus is it's doable to adapt EF lenses, but preferable to use Sony glass.

Also, assuming you're paying around $1600 (you said half the cost of an A7RIII) if I were you I'd look into going for an A7III instead, that way you get the 2nd best AF of the current bodies (behind only the A9, and technically stealing most of it's AF capabilities) and also the bigger batteries and joystick for AF points. The older batteries were good for 600-700 or so shots, so not the end of the world, but with the new batteries I'm getting 3000+ on a single charge. I actually go multiple shoots before I change out a battery.

elitejp
Goldmember
1,772 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 18, 2018 06:33 |  #5

Ive been wanting to upgrade to an a7r model for some time now. Everything seems to suggest that the a7r2 with adapted glass is just too slow while the 3 (a73 or a7r3) do much better. The a73 being the better of the two. The a73 also has more focus points closer to the edges that can pick up eye af. However I really dont know if thats necessary or needful as the a7r3 af points are already configured pretty close to the edge. For the a73 you could probably get eye af with only half the face in view because they are so close to the edges.

Anyways as much as it would be nice to save some money, and ive heavily considered the a7r2 at half price of the 3, it just seems that the improvements are worth it if using adapted glass

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,403 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 18, 2018 07:43 |  #6

elitejp wrote in post #18686529 (external link)
Ive been wanting to upgrade to an a7r model for some time now. Everything seems to suggest that the a7r2 with adapted glass is just too slow while the 3 (a73 or a7r3) do much better. The a73 being the better of the two. The a73 also has more focus points closer to the edges that can pick up eye af. However I really dont know if thats necessary or needful as the a7r3 af points are already configured pretty close to the edge. For the a73 you could probably get eye af with only half the face in view because they are so close to the edges.

Anyways as much as it would be nice to save some money, and ive heavily considered the a7r2 at half price of the 3, it just seems that the improvements are worth it if using adapted glass

Ide get the A7 III over the A7Rii in all honesty. You get eye AF even with adapted lenses, and while battery capacity only suggests double performance, seeing triple or quadrupled the performance seems normal. I'm hoping that by the holiday season that the market will be saturated with A7iii's and then I can swap out my R2.

Don't underestimate the Gen3 bodies. On paper, sure, it loses it on the megapixel aspect. In use, the firmware, button changes and addition are drastic. The menu changes are like going from a 5D classic to 5D mkiii, it's drastic.

Sony A7iii/A9 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD
Panasonic G85/G9 - Laowa 7.5/2 - PL 15/1.7 - P 42.5/1.8 - OM 75/1.8 - PL 10-25/1.7 - P 12-32 - P 14-140

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 18, 2018 08:41 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

tdlavigne wrote in post #18686513 (external link)
Dunno about the A7RII as I have a III, but if the colors are anything alike then I actually prefer the Sony colors (and the glass) to the Canon counterparts. Never thought I'd say it as that was my main complaint after shooting the first A7 and Nikon for about a decade (with Canon mixed in in between), but I really do like the color just as much if not more than any other brand. That's subjective though, so it's really a question of whether or not you want to spend the 15 minutes emulating another brand's color science or not if you don't like it.

y.

In a blind test between Canon, Nikon and Sony, more people preferred the colour from the Sony camera. Just shows how bias influences one's preferences.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,901 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 18, 2018 09:15 |  #8

Hogloff wrote in post #18686596 (external link)
In a blind test between Canon, Nikon and Sony, more people preferred the colour from the Sony camera. Just shows how bias influences one's preferences.

who took these tests?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

elitejp
Goldmember
1,772 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 18, 2018 09:22 |  #9

With the reactions you see one this forum this is definitely an amazing statement.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 18, 2018 09:53 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18686623 (external link)
who took these tests?

The blind test is on DPreview. Go on it and take the test yourself.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,403 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 18, 2018 09:53 |  #11

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18686623 (external link)
who took these tests?

just a guess: https://www.dpreview.c​om …n-1dx-mark-ii-vs-nikon-d5 (external link)

while "Color science" is subjective, the way I see it, if I cant process raws from any brand, then I'm not that good of a photographer. There's times when manufacturers of the same brand may decide to shift colors, third party lenses, filters, brands may go out of business, ect. If I cant deal with those subtle changes, then what good is this gear talk if I dont know the basics of gear use? I think it's a silly point in terms of photography, however in terms of video, where there seems to be less flexibility, and almost jpeg like malleability, that would be way more important. That said, sony is extremely good with color rendition in color, and customizable.

Sony A7iii/A9 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD
Panasonic G85/G9 - Laowa 7.5/2 - PL 15/1.7 - P 42.5/1.8 - OM 75/1.8 - PL 10-25/1.7 - P 12-32 - P 14-140

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,634 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Aug 18, 2018 10:25 |  #12

I second the suggestion for the a7III... it’s an incredible camera.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 16 1.4 - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,726 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 18, 2018 12:28 |  #13

I strongly suggest the newer generation A7iii for the "Sony" experience.

I had difficulty in the beginning but I'll be honest and say I really appreciate it's capabilities.

Adapted glass is a poor performer and if your a "focus/recompose" kinda photographer the Sony system isn't easy like shooting Canon "focus / recompose".

Sony colour science is different. I use the xrite passport and take a photo in open shade. I use that profile with alot of my Sony images and the colour changes almost like Canon colour science. Mind you this is outdoor images.

Buy a Sony and have fun. If you do not like it ......sell it.

I love my A7iii for cityscape and automotive / car events. The real to life images do not get canvas or cartoonish like my Fuji or Canon images. One the other hand I like Fuji and Canon a bit more than sony when it comes to human subjects/portraits.

Play with different gear and see if it matches you shooting style and preference.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma 24-70 ART | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

tbdinh22
60 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2017

Aug 18, 2018 12:48 |  #14

Why not wait until until Photokina in Sept. Nikon & Canon is coming out with FF mirrorless. Canon already have eyeAF in their M50. I think they will bring a better version with their FF mirrorless.

If Canon FF mirror less is lackluster, you can go with Sony while getting a discounted price by then.

Canon 5D IV. 24- 70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, Sigma 135 1.8 Art, Sigma 85 1.4 Art, Tamron 15-30 2.8 VC, Tamron 90 2.8 VC
Los Angels Wedding Photography (external link)
Orange County Wedding Photography (external link)

RPCrowe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,245 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Oct 17, 2018 09:49 |  #15

I wanted to see if I liked the Sony mirrorless system without breaking the bank so, I opted for a used Sony A6500 which I have been shooting for about a month.

I have fallen in love with this little camera. it is difficult to believe that Sony has crammed as much technology into such a small and lightweight package.

I have a three lens kit which, would not be my choice for professional photography but, which is absolutely great for casual travel shooting.

The Sony 50mm f/1.8 OSS lens,which is part of the kit is great for portraits. I got an MC-11 adapter as part of the Sony kit that I purchased. It is not a panacea and I don't have total use of all of my Canon glass.

However, I also use my favorite Canon 85mm f/1.8 lens adapted to the A6500 for portraits. While I don't have Eye-AF with this lens, it is very easy to use by getting the general focus with AF and then switching the AF/MF switch (which I have in toggle mode) and finishing my eye focus manually with the help of Focus Peaking when I am close to the subject and with a combination of focus peaking and zooming in for subjects that are a bit of a distance away. Actually using the lens in this fashion on the A6500 is (for me - and that is all that I am concerned with) faster and more accurate than shooting portraits with the 6D2 and needing to focus and recompose due to the crammed array of AF points.

My travel kit which includes a 16mm wide angle lens, the 28-70mm full-frame lit lens (surprisingly good quality), and the 50mm f/1.8 OSS lens along with a Godox TT350S flash, a diffuser, four batteries (and charger if this will be an extended trip) along with a CPL and ND filter plus Black Rapid strap (that strap really comes into its own with a small camera/lens like these) and the camera case weighs only a little over 4-pounds total. My only change to the travel kit will be to get another wide lens to replace the 16mm f/2.8 which is not as sharp as I want.

The A6500 is the most fun I have had with a camera since I first switched over to digital from film. I have three special purpose lenses which I really like using for portraiture: the Russian Helios 58mm f/2 along with two lenses that were designed for CCTV: a Night Owl 75mm f/1.7 and a 35mm f/1.7 Fujian. These three lenses produce some really creative results and it is wonderfully easy to use MF lenses on the Sony A6500. BTW: I haven't mentioned that the IBIS of the A6500 is great for lenses without native IS. This includes vintage lenses as well as the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8...

Am I going to totally switch entirely to Sony and give up my Canon 6D2 and 7D2 with their stable of great glass? To tell you the truth, I don't think so right now but, that certainly is possible! In the interim, I will continue having fun with my little A6500...

Next is to experiment with 4K video. A combination of my 6D2 with 4K time lapse capability and my 6500 for shooting other time lapse seems to be a god idea.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

2,782 views & 2 likes for this thread
I am not going to totally change systems
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.