Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 30 Jul 2018 (Monday) 14:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sell my 7D Mark II and get A7III plus adapter?

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,765 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Joined May 2011

Aug 03, 2018 16:17 |  #61

Tom, I haven't really decided. It's been such a good camera for me, it's hard to let it go.

At the moment, I keep the 70-200 on it for "people" photographs when we're out and about.

I still have my 6D too... I know you recently repurchased yours. I keep thinking, eventually, I'll need lighter gear when we travel so I'm keeping things I really should sell.

I even have a 5Dc in unbelievable condition and a 70-300L I haven't used in several years.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

sponsored links
Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,765 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Joined May 2011

Aug 03, 2018 16:33 |  #62

Charlie wrote in post #18676675 (external link)
when it comes to your particular gear, the A9 does 20 fps, blackout free, and the 100-400 autofocuses with a 2x TC, something no canon's do, F11 AF.

800mm on tap, and a considerably smaller and lighter system. Costs probably same or less as a whole package.

EDIT, btw, florida is a lovely place to be shooting

I know Med is getting some very nice shots with his A9. It is something to consider. As I get older, I'll have to recalculate things, I'm sure. At the moment, I really like the feel of a Canon 1D body.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

mikeinctown
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,066 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 07, 2018 10:37 |  #63

OK, so I've put a lot of thought into the various comments and had one question that I'm hoping people could answer easily as several had mentioned going with the 6DII. On the 6DII with full HD video, what type of file sizes do you get on say a 10 minute video? It is like pulling teeth trying to find this information. Canon just says max file size is 4gb and that it can record up to 30 minutes a pop.

rantercsr
Goldmember
2,707 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Aug 07, 2018 11:27 |  #64

mikeinctown wrote in post #18679350 (external link)
OK, so I've put a lot of thought into the various comments and had one question that I'm hoping people could answer easily as several had mentioned going with the 6DII. On the 6DII with full HD video, what type of file sizes do you get on say a 10 minute video? It is like pulling teeth trying to find this information. Canon just says max file size is 4gb and that it can record up to 30 minutes a pop.

@24fps its only 30mbps..
Only a little over 2 gigs at most i think

I got a couple of Cameras and lenses ...
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)

mikeinctown
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,066 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 07, 2018 12:22 |  #65

rantercsr wrote in post #18679389 (external link)
@24fps its only 30mbps..
Only a little over 2 gigs at most i think

is the 2 gig for the 30 minute or 10 minutes I mentioned? (and at 30fps vs 60fps?)

rantercsr
Goldmember
2,707 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Aug 07, 2018 12:57 |  #66

mikeinctown wrote in post #18679433 (external link)
is the 2 gig for the 30 minute or 10 minutes I mentioned? (and at 30fps vs 60fps?)

10 mins at 24fps

I got a couple of Cameras and lenses ...
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,966 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 09, 2018 16:40 |  #67

I wish one of you A9 A72 owners were around in R.I.

My own experience is 2nd hand, and purely anecdotal, but I was just mentioning in another thread the following;

I came back from a trip to Newfoundland last week, and despite it being mostly vacation/landscape shooting, I had two opportunities to shoot alongside other photographers that ultimate test subject of AF ability, birds in flight.

Cape Bona Vista: where Puffins, truly small fast erratic flyers, were a constant opportunity with both pure blue sky as background, or busy landscape. VERY difficult BIF shooting here.

Cape St. Mary's: Gannets and Kittywakes offer both easy large (6' wingspan) and predictable flight paths in the Gannets, and the kittywakes are fast agile and small, a bit like a common tern. No busy background, in fact dense fog contributes to make this the easiest BIF shooting I have ever encountered.

In both locations there were a number of Sony shooters mixed in with the Canon and Nikons.

At Cape Bona Vista,. A Sony A7II equipped photographer approached me, due in large part to my fielding a 500mm for getting the scenic pose shots of the nesting Puffins. I am not sure of the focal length he had, but it was Sony, and approaching the size of the Canon 70-200/100-400. (do Sony make a 100-400mm for the A7 mount? if not I have to assume it was a 70-200mm)

He told me he was unable to get a single shot of the Puffins in flight. when I returned home I found that with 5D4/7D2 on the 500mm and 7D2 on the 100-400mm I was getting often 80-90% in focus.

At Cape St. Mary's it was a similar situation, but even better where the 7D2 was providing 10 FPS of in focus Gannet shots. Pretty much 100% if I did my part. Here there were 3 Sony shooters, one with a Sony lens, one with an adapted Nikon 70-200mm and one with the same lens I using, a Canon 100-400mm VII.
Again, the Sony shooters were all showing frustration getting the BIF shots, where I was in BIF heaven as nothing is so easy as to get a good BIF with the fog = ZERO back ground distraction. Literally the easiest BIF shooting I have ever encountered.

So is it the hardware, or is it it these fellows and women that can;t keep up with this old rusty out of practice photographer?

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,169 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 09, 2018 17:11 |  #68

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18681058 (external link)

My own experience is 2nd hand, and purely anecdotal, but I was just mentioning in another thread the following;

I came back from a trip to Newfoundland last week, and despite it being mostly vacation/landscape shooting, I had two opportunities to shoot alongside other photographers that ultimate test subject of AF ability, birds in flight.

Cape Bona Vista: where Puffins, truly small fast erratic flyers, were a constant opportunity with both pure blue sky as background, or busy landscape. VERY difficult BIF shooting here.

Cape St. Mary's: Gannets and Kittywakes offer both easy large (6' wingspan) and predictable flight paths in the Gannets, and the kittywakes are fast agile and small, a bit like a common tern. No busy background, in fact dense fog contributes to make this the easiest BIF shooting I have ever encountered.

In both locations there were a number of Sony shooters mixed in with the Canon and Nikons.

At Cape Bona Vista,. A Sony A7II equipped photographer approached me, due in large part to my fielding a 500mm for getting the scenic pose shots of the nesting Puffins. I am not sure of the focal length he had, but it was Sony, and approaching the size of the Canon 70-200/100-400. (do Sony make a 100-400mm for the A7 mount? if not I have to assume it was a 70-200mm)

He told me he was unable to get a single shot of the Puffins in flight. when I returned home I found that with 5D4/7D2 on the 500mm and 7D2 on the 100-400mm I was getting often 80-90% in focus.

At Cape St. Mary's it was a similar situation, but even better where the 7D2 was providing 10 FPS of in focus Gannet shots. Pretty much 100% if I did my part. Here there were 3 Sony shooters, one with a Sony lens, one with an adapted Nikon 70-200mm and one with the same lens I using, a Canon 100-400mm VII.
Again, the Sony shooters were all showing frustration getting the BIF shots, where I was in BIF heaven as nothing is so easy as to get a good BIF with the fog = ZERO back ground distraction. Literally the easiest BIF shooting I have ever encountered.

So is it the hardware, or is it it these fellows and women that can;t keep up with this old rusty out of practice photographer?

The progression of A7 bodies is enormous.

Going from an A7ii to A9 will feel like going from 5Dc to 1Dxii

It's such a gigantic jump, hence the popularity of Sony. The A7ii to A7iii is massive, like going from 5Dc to 5D4.

Even though it's only one gen, Sony did some key changes that make it feel so big.

Buffer is probably tripled or quadrupled(and takes forever to clear).
Time between frames is DSLR like, and in the case of the A9, surpassing DSLR, no shutter or mirror blackout. AF engine is much faster, the A7ii was noticeably slower than the A7R2, and the newer bodies claim double the speed of the R2. No reason not to believe. It really does run circles over the old bodies, if you want that sort of thing. The batteries rival DSLR in photos and I believe even exceed DSLR in video.

Older body + adapting long lens = total disaster. Well known issue. At minimum, adapt with the A9, and preferably the Sony 70-400 A-mount, or buy the real deal 100-400GM.

Sony A7rii/A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,966 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 3 months ago by CyberDyneSystems. (3 edits in all)

Aug 09, 2018 17:58 |  #69

Completely forgot that they are on A7III and not 2. Now I have no idea which ones they had.
To be honest, I never noticed if any of the 4 A7 had an "R" or not, I just noticed the digits after 7, I think it was "II" though and not III.

Does the III essentially have the A9 AF system?

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

nqjudo
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 09, 2018 18:07 |  #70

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18681058 (external link)

I spent much of last winter with the A9 and native glass and this reflects my experience. I used the 7D2, 5D4 and 1DxII and the A9 with native glass. For BIF the A9 was usually bested even by the 7D2. Bottom line I don't think anyone can say that any camera/lens or combination thereof is superior or inferior for someone else's use. The only way to know for sure is to give it a try.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,169 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 09, 2018 18:41 |  #71

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18681099 (external link)
Completely forgot that they are on A7III and not 2. Now I have no idea which ones they had.
To be honest, I never noticed if any of the 4 A7 had an "R" or not, I just noticed the digits after 7, I think it was "II" though and not III.

Does the III essentially have the A9 AF system?

it's certainly confusing, all the models look the same from the A7ii going forward.

to get an idea of AF, A9 + 400 f2.8 + grayhounds in case you haven't seen it:
https://www.dpreview.c​om/forums/thread/43046​33 (external link)

another guy from FM that shoots all sorts of big Canon glass on the A9:
http://www.fredmiranda​.com …/topic/1554806/​0#14540716 (external link)

Sony A7rii/A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

sponsored links

2,366 views & 37 likes for this thread
Sell my 7D Mark II and get A7III plus adapter?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.