Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 25 Feb 2006 (Saturday) 07:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Another Arizona POTN get together (4)?

dixiedawn
195 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 28, 2018 11:48 as a reply to  @ post 18672217 |  #4306

Nice one, James. Unfortunately I haven't seen much good lightning down this way. It's mostly been just the brightly lit clouds, not a lot of ground strikes. Blah. I know it's safer with regards to fire and damage, but not worth charging the camera battery ;-)a

Just about the time you posted your image, we did get hit by a severe storm that suddenly "came out of nowhere" and blew through the area. Uprooted trees, broken branches, knocked over fences around my neighborhood, but at least we didn't lose power here like some areas did. It's been a weird monsoon so far, the storms are coming down from the north instead of up from Mexico or from the ENE.

debbie

sponsored links
xinvisionx
Goldmember
1,641 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 29, 2018 01:53 |  #4307

Yeah. The storms are coming out of nowhere. Incredibly random.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My name is James ~ Gear ~ Facebook Fan Page (external link) ~ Domain (external link)

xinvisionx
Goldmember
1,641 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 29, 2018 20:49 |  #4308

HOSTED PHOTO

My name is James ~ Gear ~ Facebook Fan Page (external link) ~ Domain (external link)

dixiedawn
195 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 29, 2018 23:14 |  #4309

Care to share any tips, or are they closely guarded secrets ? LOL

Do you use an intervalometer of some kind, hold it open on bulb with a remote shutter and close when you get a flash, something else ??

Where are you located, that you are getting such great views overlooking the Valley ? Not concerned about lightning strikes nearby ?

My very first lightning shots I think I just got lucky. I had a little point & shoot camera and a storm with a lot of lightning; I just did a bunch of bursts, I think the cam could do 5 shot bursts, and I managed to catch a few interesting bolts. Sadly I think they may been lost when that computer died...

debbie

xinvisionx
Goldmember
1,641 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 30, 2018 11:29 as a reply to  @ dixiedawn's post |  #4310

South Mountain in Phoenix overlooks the entire valley so you can get great shots that way. And Dobbins Lookout yo three provides shelter.

However, I’m often standing outside in the storm. Lightning doesn’t scare me and the odds of getting struck are so small it’s not a concern.

As for my cameras. The 60D was hacked with Magic Lantern so it added an in camera intervelometer. My 5D Mark IV has it built in already. So I just set them up and fire them off.

I also watch the storms on radar so I know where they’re going.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

xinvisionx
Goldmember
1,641 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 31, 2018 00:16 |  #4311

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

xinvisionx
Goldmember
1,641 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 05, 2018 21:45 |  #4312

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

xinvisionx
Goldmember
1,641 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 09, 2018 00:30 |  #4313

HOSTED PHOTO

kellyrmc
269 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 09, 2018 18:47 |  #4314

Hi,
Hubby and I are fairly new to AZ. Glad to see some great shots on this thread!
Quick question about the lightning shots, which I haven't taken before. If I'm taking a 10 second shot (for example) and lightning happens any time during those 10 seconds, will the lightning strike appear in the final image?
Thanks for the help!
Kelly

xinvisionx
Goldmember
1,641 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 09, 2018 22:26 as a reply to  @ kellyrmc's post |  #4315

Yes. If your ISO and f/stop are correct.

Night shots of lightning is the easiest. I often do a 20-30 second exposure. Just make sure you have your camera on the tripod and it doesn't move. You want to avoid any motion blur. This can be challenging if there is wind however. But if you enjoy it...you'll get your shots. Let me know if you have any more questions.

dixiedawn
195 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 09, 2018 23:24 as a reply to  @ xinvisionx's post |  #4316

So, what do I need to adjust, and which way... This storm wasn't producing a lot of lightning, but for just a little practice it was ok. I hooked up a wired intervalometer (remote) to my T3i but manually clicked for a while. I tried a few different ISO and f stop settings, and only ended up with maybe 10 shots that even showed lightning. This one was f/10 ISO 400 10s, cropped only. It looks like a black and white image, but it is not. 15s or more I was getting an ugly yellow cast to the sky. I guess if I actually had some lightning in one of those shots, I could adjust the hue to something a little more pleasing ? LOL

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1798/43052246025_0a07f57549_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/28Ao​1PT  (external link) lightning_help (external link) by *dxd* (external link), on Flickr

debbie

kellyrmc
269 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 10, 2018 17:10 as a reply to  @ xinvisionx's post |  #4317

Thanks, Xin, I’ll give that a try.
Kelly

xinvisionx
Goldmember
1,641 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 11, 2018 20:00 as a reply to  @ dixiedawn's post |  #4318

Yeah, it can be a little tricky. Each storm is different so you have to dial in the settings. You’re clearly on your way!

Glad to see others posting here.

dixiedawn
195 posts
Joined Aug 2008
Post edited 1 month ago by dixiedawn. (2 edits in all)

Aug 11, 2018 23:48 |  #4319

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1778/42179276670_6f3c440a6b_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/27ge​Ps7  (external link) Through the rain (external link) by *dxd* (external link), on Flickr

Rebel T3i, EF-S 55-250 @ 55mm, f/5, ISO 400, 1/40s, 4 shot pano stitched in MS ICE

debbie

xinvisionx
Goldmember
1,641 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 12, 2018 13:53 |  #4320

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

444,883 views & 205 likes for this thread
Another Arizona POTN get together (4)?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.