Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 11 Aug 2018 (Saturday) 20:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens for my 7D Mark II - specifically for hikes (mountain ranges / forest)

Mathiau
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited over 1 year ago by Mathiau.

Aug 11, 2018 20:39 |  #1

Hello,

I have been over the new lens thread (https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=86975) as well did not see a top 10 yet for landscape type lenses specifically.

I have been getting into hiking a lot, specifically peaks and ridges. Living in Calgary Alberta i have ranges like this an hour away: (Mount Glasgow Ridge the tallest one that i tried last week but had to turn back due to some animal scat i did not recognize starting to appear more often than i was happy with, being completely alone and 4km into the woods)

(taken will cell phone)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Right now I have my trusty 7D Mark II i got 3 years ago but still with the kit lens, I sort of fell out of photography for a while and wasn't in the mood much but now I am tired of my crap-tastic cell phone pictures for my hikes and hikes like Glasgow isn't well documented on sites I visit, at least nothing recent, so I want to make sure when i go, I make it look beautiful!

I wish i could say budget is no issues, but of course it is, but i do not have problems spending $1000 or a little more if it means i will get an awesome piece of glass to help with my pics, I like to think the 7D Mark II is still a solid body and can hold its own.

As of late my pictures seem to be lacking, likely my self, so anything that can help me would be great.

Thoughts on an ideal lens for scenic mountain hikes and some possible forest areas?

Not sure I would want just a wide angle lens as that "view" of pics tends to get...old? after a few pictures....

Other pics of areas i have been to to give example:

HOSTED PHOTO

Currently Dreaming about what gear to own in the near future
The trouble with life is theres no background music
WARNING - post on images for critique and other items asking for feedback are simply my personal input and thoughts based on my own experiences and preferences.

sponsored links
Mathiau
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 11, 2018 20:41 |  #2

Sometimes you get into the woods and want to get good pictures there as well (HDR via 7D HDR) so something that might be versatile so i don't have to change lenses on a hike?

HOSTED PHOTO

But then you capture nice wide open shots like this one (Helen Lake)

HOSTED PHOTO

WARNING - post on images for critique and other items asking for feedback are simply my personal input and thoughts based on my own experiences and preferences.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,565 posts
Gallery: 439 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Aug 11, 2018 20:50 |  #3

The 7D2 is solid and it is heavy. If you are strong and young, no problem. Me, I would go for something like the SL2 or 77D which take fantastic pics but are lighter and smaller and have better sensors.

As for the lens, everybody shoots wide for landscapes, right? The 10-18mm is cheap and light and sharp. For me that would be too UW, so I would probably use the 18-135mm USM, heavier but more versatile. It is plenty sharp. If you want still sharper, then EF primes might be the solution. But to get the benefit from those, you would probably need a tripod. And I would not take a tripod on a hike unless it was a photo hike.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Mathiau
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 11, 2018 21:03 |  #4

The 7Dm2 def has weight, but I am using it as an excuse to train, I already carry about 20-25Lbs in my bag and normally that includes the 7Dm2, by no means am i young (38) but been working to push my self to get into better shape.

Tripod, challenge accepted..LOL, or maybe not, between my poles and other gear strapped on my bag...I mean it could be a good item to use to beat off a bear...

LJ3Jim
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 11, 2018 23:09 |  #5

I used the ef-s 15-85 for several years before I went full-frame. My wife still uses it with her 70D. It's a great lens for a crop sensor camera. For the type of photography that you're showing here, be sure to add a good polarizer. It won't always help, but in many cases it will.

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

Doctor ­ Mabuse
27 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jan 2014
Post edited over 1 year ago by Doctor Mabuse. (2 edits in all)

Aug 12, 2018 08:56 |  #6

You could surely do a lot worse than the EF-S 24 f2.8 STM pancake prime.

Super-light, cheap and excellent quality for the money.

Focal length is really good for more 'composed' landscapes where you have to think a bit more carefully about framing than with a UWA - I know what you mean with the signature UWA 'look' that can start to look a bit tired if lazily over-used (which I tended to do!).

That being said, having sold my EF-S 10-22 and trying for a year to live without a UWA, I came to the conclusion that there are some landscape scenes you simply can't capture without one so I just bought back an EF-S 10-18mm, which I see someone has already recommended.

For around half your budget (i.e. $500) you could get both and still not be overly-worried about hiking weight as they are both so light.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,268 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 12, 2018 10:00 |  #7

18-55 and 55-250 STM. That is my light travel kit I used with my 7D2. Light and very good IQ for the price. If you drop one off a cliff the hit is not so bad.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

mcoren
655 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Aug 12, 2018 13:01 |  #8

I'll second the 18-55 and 55-250 STM. They produce great images and they're lightweight. I use them a lot when I go hiking and biking, although lately I've been reverting back to the Sigma 17-70 instead of the 18-55. I also recently picked up a 70-300L, which I want to try out a bit in lieu of the 55-250.

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

mcoren
655 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Aug 12, 2018 13:11 |  #9

Archibald wrote in post #18682465 (external link)
The 7D2 is solid and it is heavy. If you are strong and young, no problem. Me, I would go for something like the SL2 or 77D which take fantastic pics but are lighter and smaller and have better sensors.

Not disagreeing about the weight, but one of the things I like about the 7D2 is that it's weather sealed. Not because I'm going to be in rain or waterfall spray, but when I'm out hiking or biking, I sweat a lot. In addition to perspiration, there's whatever dirt and dust has gotten all over me, as well as sunscreen and bug spray. This results in a pretty nasty mixture, which gets all over the camera as I hold it (and press it against my face) and change settings. With the 7D2, I feel confident that this stuff won't get inside, and when I get home I can give it a good wipe-down with a damp cloth. Maybe the more consumer-oriented bodies can tolerate this too, but it was something that concerned me when I had a 70D (and even more so when I had a T2i before that).

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,902 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 12, 2018 14:45 |  #10

10-18 and 70-200

That leaves a lot in the middle but a cheap prime like the 40mm pancake would fill that gap with little impact to wallet or pack weight.

55-250 and 18-55 are okay lenses, but as mentioned, weather sealing can be important ... even if its just condensation from a cold water bottle, or a leaky lid. 70-200 is well sealed 10-18 probably isn't but is small enough that an individual lens bag would not take up much room.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

evelakes
Goldmember
2,420 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 12, 2018 15:00 |  #11

Sigma 18-35 mm 1.8 art build like a tank internal zoom so no dirt or dust getting inside the body. Super sharp, f1. 8 so you can play with the light and low iso, s. No regrets here with that combo.

A camera is a tool for learning how to see without a camera.
flickr (external link)https://www.flickr.com​/photos/97611076@N06/ (external link)
https://500px.com/evel​akes (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,268 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 12, 2018 16:40 |  #12

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18682843 (external link)
10-18 and 70-200

That leaves a lot in the middle but a cheap prime like the 40mm pancake would fill that gap with little impact to wallet or pack weight.

55-250 and 18-55 are okay lenses, but as mentioned, weather sealing can be important ... even if its just condensation from a cold water bottle, or a leaky lid. 70-200 is well sealed 10-18 probably isn't but is small enough that an individual lens bag would not take up much room.

Not going to find those two for $1000.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

duckster
928 posts
Gallery: 194 photos
Joined May 2017

Aug 12, 2018 20:51 as a reply to  @ Mathiau's post |  #13

I really like the 18-135 USM as a general use lens. I have a older 7D

Mathiau
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited over 1 year ago by Mathiau.

Aug 12, 2018 22:44 |  #14

Awesome info and feed back, nice to see options for a wide range of lenses and not just 1 or 2.

Also the note about the 7Dm2 and weather sealing, that was actually one reason i got it over the 70D myself, cause i know i can be rough on cameras and i would be taken it all over the place.

Just for my own sanity listing out the lenses suggested as per a Canadian site here in Calgary - let me know if i am off a model or F stop model. Seems like a bunch are on sale. the 70-200 is the cheapest I have ever seen it, i guess cause it is not the more expensive ISM II model.

Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens - $379.99
https://www.vistek.ca …efs-1018mm-f4556-stm-lens (external link)

Sigma ART 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Lens for Canon - $1,029.99
https://www.vistek.ca …f18-dc-hsm-lens-for-canon (external link)

Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Pancake lens - $289.99
https://www.vistek.ca …40mm-f28-stm-pancake-lens (external link)

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Telephoto Zoom Lens - $699.99
https://www.vistek.ca …l-usm-telephoto-zoom-lens (external link)

Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM - $339.99
https://www.vistek.ca …anon-efs-1855mm-f3556-stm (external link)

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens - $359.99
https://www.vistek.ca …efs-55250mm-f456-stm-lens (external link)

Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM Lens - $169.99
https://www.vistek.ca …non-efs-24mm-f28-stm-lens (external link)

pknight
Goldmember
2,676 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 13, 2018 07:51 as a reply to  @ Mathiau's post |  #15

Let me toss in an older lens that is absolutely great, the Tamron SP AF 17-50 f/2.8 Di II. This is the original version, and it lacks image stabilization, but I have never missed it. This is a very sharp lens, and the most accurately focusing lens that I have ever owned, including numerous Canon models. They are still selling this new for $299, at B&H (the newer model with VC costs $649!), and I’m sure you could find a great used deal. As long as Canon uses the EF-S mount, I am keeping this lens!

Digital EOS 7D Mark II Canon: EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, Life-Size Converter EF Tamron: SP 17-50mm f/2.8 DiII, 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC HLD, SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2, SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DiII VC HLD Sigma: 30mm f/1.4 DC Art Rokinon: 8mm f/3.5 AS IF UMC

sponsored links

3,046 views & 14 likes for this thread
Lens for my 7D Mark II - specifically for hikes (mountain ranges / forest)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.