Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 24 Jul 2018 (Tuesday) 15:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Worth downgrading from 5D Mark IV to 6D?

gossamer88
THREAD ­ STARTER
"something else"
1,035 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Aug 2014

Aug 14, 2018 12:43 |  #16

Charlie wrote in post #18683961 (external link)
you are having a bit of NOSTALGIA GAS, which is fine, I think everyone has a bit of this from time to time. There must have been a time you told yourself..... you're never going back to a 6D!

Kind of like the nokia days, I'm never going back to a larger phone  :p

I think you should sell the body and lenses if not in use. They are big, bulky, and tie down some funds. In the end, you may repurchase them, selling them now just frees up funds in case GAS takes you elsewhere.

I do keep my set of fast zooms along with fast primes, simply because I suffer from similar GAS at times, and I simply shuffle my gear around and I'm done. Sometimes I like shooting fast primes, sometimes fast zooms, most of the time, lightweight primes. Not the most practical thing, but I do use all quite a bit, and my lightweight kit gets used the most by far. I remember shooting JUST the 6D and 50L like it was yesterday, a hugely enjoyable combo, that produced many keepers. So simple and so productive, that said, the ship has sailed, and that's as far as my nostalgia goes ;-)a

You could be on to something. But I have been wanting back the 6D for a while.

mathogre wrote in post #18683967 (external link)
Go back to B&H and see what they'll give you for your gear. They buy and sell used equipment. Also, see if they have a used 70-200 f/4 IS, or see if they will give you a good deal on a new one (not very likely, but no harm asking). Adorama also buys and sells used gear. Will you get The Best Price™ from B&H or Adorama? I think you'll get a fair price, which itself is a good thing.

Dump the 5D4, the Tamrons, get the 70-200, and then do these two things.

1. Enjoy your 6D and glass!

2. Don't look back.

I'm pretty sure I will not to get what I want as trades at either B&H or Adorama. Still not sure how much to ask though. The 5D4 is almost two years old now and new is going for $3,099.00 at both stores. The lenses have held their value (IMO). So maybe that won't be so hard a hit. I recently upgraded my laptop to a touch bar, but I also been wanting to upgrade my 2011 iMac for a 5K iMac. So selling these items will certainly help in that dept.

But yeah, I am close to putting the 5D4 + Tamrons up for sale. Just have to figure out how much.

Canon 5D Mark IV | Tamron 24-70mm G2 | Tamron 70-200mm G2 | 85mm 1.8 | 50mm STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Powershot G9 X | iPhone 7
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
shane_c
689 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 15, 2018 17:13 as a reply to  @ gossamer88's post |  #17

I haven't used either of the cameras you mention but I think that if the 6D does what you need and you use it more that you should sell the 5D4 and use that money for something else, whether it be new glass, a photo trip or just to save it.

I shoot with an 80D and recently purchased a used G1X which should be arriving tomorrow. I don't shoot professionally and only post stuff on Instagram and I'll print a couple each year for a local art show.

I was having a conversation with someone yesterday that maybe I'll like the G1X too much and never use the 80D anymore. Then I'll be in a similar situation about whether I should downgrade and sell it.

As the saying goes... The best camera is the one that you use.

Canon 80D - Canon 15-85, Canon 40 STM, Canon 70-200L F4 (non-IS), Canon 1.4x II
G1X, G15
My Instagram (external link)

aezoss
432 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Nov 2013

Aug 15, 2018 23:41 |  #18

Having both a 5D3 and 6D, there's no way I'd part with either.

There could be times in the future where you need a more robust AF system, dual card slots for a once in a lifetime event, or something more rugged for your Everest ascent if you're into that kinda thing. You'll be kicking yourself if all you have is the 6D. And this coming from a 6D fanboy.

Make a concerted effort to use both bodies. A bit of effort and you could extend the lifespan of both bodies by distributing the wear and tear. The 5D4 future proofs you for at least 5-10 years depending on the work you do. If it's paid for I don't see the value in taking a loss on it.

There's also the benefit of having the 5D4 when the 6D novelty wears off. You can switch between bodies and let them serve as inspiration as needed. I have a few Pentax M42 lenses that I break out when I want a different look or just to challenge myself. It's good to have choice.

2c.

gossamer88
THREAD ­ STARTER
"something else"
1,035 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Aug 16, 2018 09:00 as a reply to  @ aezoss's post |  #19

I'm not a pro, but sometimes I get the urge to do some paid work. Events for example. So having two bodies would be beneficial.

But that being said, I am still debating selling one or the other. I lean towards the 5D4 because I want a 5K iMac. But yeah, the 6D has a hold on me...LOL!

As far as the lenses go, I'm wanting the new 70-200 f4 IS II. I now have a 24-105L. So selling the Tamrons will help. As I come to find out, F2.8 is overrated. Yes I'm ducking right now...

I also miss the 100L I sold. So i got a very good deal on a used 100mm non-L Macro. Being delivered today.

Thanks for the input.

Canon 5D Mark IV | Tamron 24-70mm G2 | Tamron 70-200mm G2 | 85mm 1.8 | 50mm STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Powershot G9 X | iPhone 7
flickr (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,278 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 6 months ago by TeamSpeed. (3 edits in all)

Aug 16, 2018 09:34 |  #20

The 5D4 betters the 6D in every conceivable way (at varying levels), other than weight/size/cost. You can set up the 5D4 to be as simplistic as you would want it. Unless funds are needed from the downgrade, or a lighter smaller body is desirable over the 5D4, I see no reason why one would downgrade in this way.

Benefits:
_______
AF system
Flicker Control
New AWB mode
Greater resolution
Better DR
Better ISO performance
Dual slots
Faster bursts/larger buffer
Extra stop of shutter speed
4K video
DPAF with face detect
Build quality
Touchscreen

I find that these factors, at various points and depending on what I am shooting, give me more capability and more comfort in what I am shooting.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,439 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 16, 2018 09:44 |  #21

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18685254 (external link)
The 5D4 betters the 6D in every conceivable way, other than weight/size. You can set up the 5D4 to be as simplistic as you would want it. Unless funds are needed from the downgrade, or a lighter smaller body is desirable over the 5D4, I see no reason why one would downgrade in this way.

I don’t think TS has said it outright, but size is an issue. Why else get rid of 2.8 zooms in favor of f4?

That would be the main reason for me to get rid of 2.8 zooms.

Sony A7rii/A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,278 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 6 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Aug 16, 2018 10:09 |  #22

Well it is a bit difficult to tell what the impetus for this is. In one case, lenses are being sold and moving to the old 70-200 f4, but then later there is a desire to buy the 70-200 f4 II (which will eat up all residual by the downgrade). Weight might be a concern, but the 6D is pretty marginally lighter than the 5D4, and there are more savings there by going to f4 glass than switching out the body. Switching from the 100L macro to the older usm 100 probably could have yielded more in funds by going to some other macro lens, there really aren't any bad macro lenses by any manufacturer, so again I find it a bit tough to find the exact reason for the gear switchover. IQ must not be of the utmost importance either, because the 24-105 just isn't a stellar lens. Maybe the changeover is a mix of factors, but having a priority might help with the decision process.

If f4 is sufficient and the f2.8 lenses are not needed, then I would start with an overhaul of the lenses. Then once that is complete, re-evaluate the situation to see if the 5D4 should be sold, or the 6D. That way you get more of weight and size savings up front, perhaps build up a bit of cash, and then the decision later might be easier to make. If this is the gear that will be used for years into the future, one should consider that the 5D4 will be Canon-serviceable at least 4 years longer than the 6D. There are several considerations to be made.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,402 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 16, 2018 10:17 |  #23

gossamer88 wrote in post #18685229 (external link)
I lean towards the 5D4 because I want a 5K iMac.

I don't see the relevance.

Some days I'm the dog, some days I'm the lamppost.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,278 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 6 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Aug 16, 2018 10:22 |  #24

john crossley wrote in post #18685268 (external link)

He will keep the 6D and use the $2100 or so from the sale of the 5D4 to fund a new monitor. However moving to a lesser resolution body without 4K recording leads one to wonder why a 5K monitor would even be needed, when a 2K monitor would be fine.

I think it was Darth Vader that said "The GAS is strong with this one". :D

gossamer88
THREAD ­ STARTER
"something else"
1,035 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Aug 16, 2018 11:46 |  #25

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18685263 (external link)
Well it is a bit difficult to tell what the impetus for this is. In one case, lenses are being sold and moving to the old 70-200 f4, but then later there is a desire to buy the 70-200 f4 II (which will eat up all residual by the downgrade). Weight might be a concern, but the 6D is pretty marginally lighter than the 5D4, and there are more savings there by going to f4 glass than switching out the body. Switching from the 100L macro to the older usm 100 probably could have yielded more in funds by going to some other macro lens, there really aren't any bad macro lenses by any manufacturer, so again I find it a bit tough to find the exact reason for the gear switchover. IQ must not be of the utmost importance either, because the 24-105 just isn't a stellar lens. Maybe the changeover is a mix of factors, but having a priority might help with the decision process.

If f4 is sufficient and the f2.8 lenses are not needed, then I would start with an overhaul of the lenses. Then once that is complete, re-evaluate the situation to see if the 5D4 should be sold, or the 6D. That way you get more of weight and size savings up front, perhaps build up a bit of cash, and then the decision later might be easier to make. If this is the gear that will be used for years into the future, one should consider that the 5D4 will be Canon-serviceable at least 4 years longer than the 6D. There are several considerations to be made.

I beg to differ about the 24-105L. I get great results and like the extra reach. I traded my 100L for a 135L. The focal length was not to my liking, and since I miss my macro, I sold the 135L, bought the macro non-L. I will probably go thru Greentoe for the 70-200 f4 II. But not doing anything 'til I sell my Tamron G2 lenses.

john crossley wrote in post #18685268 (external link)

I'll get more ROI with the 5D4 than the 6D for the iMac. My current 2011 iMac is seriously showing its age. Not to mention, I just upgraded to a touch bar. So extra funds will help.

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18685271 (external link)
He will keep the 6D and use the $2100 or so from the sale of the 5D4 to fund a new monitor. However moving to a lesser resolution body without 4K recording leads one to wonder why a 5K monitor would even be needed, when a 2K monitor would be fine.

I think it was Darth Vader that said "The GAS is strong with this one". :D

Self-admitted "guilty as charged". Add to that, the 6D resolution is a little more than 5K.

flickr (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,278 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 6 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Aug 16, 2018 12:13 as a reply to  @ gossamer88's post |  #26

I am not saying the 24-105 is a bad lens, but it is one of the lowest cost kit lenses for a reason. There are copy variations, and resolving power isn't quite there with the rest of the L family. Some will find great copies, many will find poor copies, and a large segment will just have average performance. Enough tests by 3rd party and other individual tests have proven this out.

The 5D4 gives you more resolution with which to crop out/recompose and still retain the resolution you would like to have. ;) If you take shots and compose exactly with the camera and rarely crop, then I can see your point. I, on the other hand, shoot more loosely as to be able to crop for different aspect ratios later. Good luck in your decision, I still think since you have 2 FF bodies, it makes more sense stabilizing your lens collection first for what you want, then make a decision on the bodies.

Charlie
15,439 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 16, 2018 12:26 |  #27

TS, I see that you own the 24-70 f4 IS? That lens seems to make a bit more sense since you seem to like macro, just not that much?

As long as you don't shoot bugs, a close focus lens can really do all your macro needs. I have a dedicated macro lens, but having close focus lenses really kills the need for macro.

Sony A7rii/A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

aezoss
432 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Nov 2013

Aug 16, 2018 13:14 |  #28

gossamer88 wrote in post #18685229 (external link)
I lean towards the 5D4 because I want a 5K iMac. But yeah, the 6D has a hold on me...LOL!

As far as the lenses go, I'm wanting the new 70-200 f4 IS II. I now have a 24-105L. So selling the Tamrons will help. As I come to find out, F2.8 is overrated. Yes I'm ducking right now...

I also miss the 100L I sold. So i got a very good deal on a used 100mm non-L Macro. Being delivered today.

I'm with TeamSpeed. Determine which lenses best fit your needs and decide on a body from there. I deviate toward the 5D4. You can dial back it's capabilities if you want.

I think it would be good to sit down and go through your images. Decide what you shoot the most, what you want to shoot in the future, and optimize your lens inventory to suit.

You're offloading very good hardware for lesser models. I think I get where you're coming from but it's odd you're burning $$ and potentially decreasing your output quality.

Looking at your sig, you've got a nice selection of lenses. Unless you're updating lenses to new models to match the capabilities of the 5D4 or address a problem with existing lenses (ie AF), you're pretty much set. Just need to get out and shoot.

If you need to satisfy the gear acquisition bug, try renting. It's a good exercise to rent something exotic once in a while and get it out of your system. Spend a weekend with a 400 2.8 and you'll develop a new appreciation for the comparatively lightweight and flexible 70-200 2.8.

Charlie
15,439 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 16, 2018 13:26 |  #29

aezoss wrote in post #18685383 (external link)
I'm with TeamSpeed. Determine which lenses best fit your needs and decide on a body from there. I deviate toward the 5D4. You can dial back it's capabilities if you want.

I think it would be good to sit down and go through your images. Decide what you shoot the most, what you want to shoot in the future, and optimize your lens inventory to suit.

You're offloading very good hardware for lesser models. I think I get where you're coming from but it's odd you're burning $$ and potentially decreasing your output quality.

Looking at your sig, you've got a nice selection of lenses. Unless you're updating lenses to new models to match the capabilities of the 5D4 or address a problem with existing lenses (ie AF), you're pretty much set. Just need to get out and shoot.

If you need to satisfy the gear acquisition bug, try renting. It's a good exercise to rent something exotic once in a while and get it out of your system. Spend a weekend with a 400 2.8 and you'll develop a new appreciation for the comparatively lightweight and flexible 70-200 2.8.

Based on TS's gear, he's probably doing some shuffling (not all photography related), and 5DIV makes it much easier to get another fix in.

gossamer88
THREAD ­ STARTER
"something else"
1,035 posts
Joined Aug 2014
Post edited 5 months ago by gossamer88.

Aug 24, 2018 08:40 |  #30

So I sold the 6D last night via Craigslist. I could not believe the amount of responses I got (confirming how highly regarded this camera still is). Sure I got a few low-ballers. But I was sticking firm to my asking price. I posted on the ad that I'm in no rush to sell. Sold for $750.

Many here made great points for and against keeping it. But the one post that got me really thinking was Charlie's. "NOSTALGIA GAS" is right!

And my photography buddy is glad I came to my senses. He was bewildered. Meanwhile, he's a GAS-aholic and very much a bad influence...LOL!

Anyway, I am back using the 5D4 and enjoying every minute of it. I picked up a Sigma 150-600 C this week and looking forward to it this weekend.

Thanks all!

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,012 views & 25 likes for this thread
Worth downgrading from 5D Mark IV to 6D?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.