Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jun 2017 (Friday) 10:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)

kumpu
148 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined May 2011

Aug 15, 2018 12:38 |  #19651

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from kumpu's gallery.

Portfolio (external link) | Twitter (external link) | fB (external link) | instagram (external link)
Current Gear list

sponsored links
David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,884 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 15, 2018 13:38 |  #19652

A few days ago I had decided to completely downsize from my small bag of primes to a single FE 24-105mm. I may still go there, but for now I'm just going to sell my Batis 135mm to thin down my collection to just a CV 12, Loxia 21, 35, and Batis 85mm.

If you're interested in a killer deal on this killer lens (1100 USD) on my Batis 135mm this is your head's up to visit my posting on FM: http://www.fredmiranda​.com …c/1557622/0?nc=​1#14560808 (external link)

It's actually my favorite lens I own right now, but I am always fighting myself over whether to use the 85 or 135. Since the 135 is bigger - still a lightweight lens! - I'll side with keeping things smaller. I absolutely love the Batis 85mm as well.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
14,301 posts
Gallery: 212 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 15, 2018 15:05 |  #19653

David Arbogast wrote in post #18684804 (external link)
A few days ago I had decided to completely downsize from my small bag of primes to a single FE 24-105mm. I may still go there, but for now I'm just going to sell my Batis 135mm to thin down my collection to just a CV 12, Loxia 21, 35, and Batis 85mm.

If you're interested in a killer deal on this killer lens (1100 USD) on my Batis 135mm this is your head's up to visit my posting on FM: http://www.fredmiranda​.com …c/1557622/0?nc=​1#14560808 (external link)

It's actually my favorite lens I own right now, but I am always fighting myself over whether to use the 85 or 135. Since the 135 is bigger - still a lightweight lens! - I'll side with keeping things smaller. I absolutely love the Batis 85mm as well.

I know how hard it is to part with a lens that produces the kind of images you want. Good luck with the sale though and I certainly miss seeing your photos of any kind here. I hope that changes for the positive soon.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
14,301 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by navydoc.

Aug 15, 2018 15:05 |  #19654

This is the cover to a condiment bowl my neighbor gave to me some time ago. I liked the design and the colors.

It was also a little test using my camera shooting from overhead while tethered to my laptop. It was very convenient to make changes from the laptop. Of course, Imaging Edge doesn't control my flashes but I can control exposure and flash compensation.

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1774/30188688878_5073941b05_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/MZEV​rQ  (external link) Bowl cover (external link) by Gene (external link), on Flickr

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
14,301 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by navydoc.

Aug 15, 2018 15:14 |  #19655

Here's my cluttered BTS shot showing my camera on an overhead arm, two circular diffusers in front of two strip boxes. Laptop is on the left on a stand.

I had forgotten until I went to my editing computer that I didn't even have a card in the camera. The images are saved to the laptop directly. :-)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
8,436 posts
Gallery: 583 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 15, 2018 18:48 |  #19656

A week ago...I would have jumped...but I bought a car today....lol...there goes my lens budget!

As Gene said...I hope we see more images from you soon...I miss seeing them...

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)|YouTube (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,884 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 15, 2018 19:33 |  #19657

TRhoads wrote in post #18684972 (external link)
A week ago...I would have jumped...but I bought a car today....lol...there goes my lens budget!

As Gene said...I hope we see more images from you soon...I miss seeing them...

Haha! I’m on the wrong of your buying decisions twice this year. :p

I’ll likely get back to shooting more when the days cool a bit more.

I very much appreciate everyone’s nice comments about my inactivity in shooting this year. And just to ease any concerns just know I’m having an absolutely sensational 2018. Unfortunately, its that other enjoyable things have temporarily supplanted photography. I may never shoot as much as I had been, but I definitely need to at least shoot my local landscape stuff more often.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

Justinsmnz
Goldmember
1,101 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Aug 15, 2018 20:51 |  #19658

I know 450 seconds is a very long exposure, but the hot pixels here seem just a tad extreme, no? I only pushed the raw +1 stop exposure and +30 in the shadows.

Anyone have any insight on preventing this? (besides simply shooting shorter exposures, that is :-D) This isn't the first time I've seen this since owning the A7rIII. I've noticed the hot pixels popping up in exposures even as short as 30sec or so.

IMAGE: https://imgur.com/iy7SRRM.jpg

IMAGE: https://imgur.com/P5fXchW.jpg

IMAGE: https://imgur.com/FWq3cj4.jpg

*by a "tad extreme," I mean this is downright disappointing compared to my long-exposure experience with the 5Ds. I honestly thought my only gripe for long-exposure when switching to Sony would be the lack of built in bulb-timer and intervalometer (which is still a mind boggling oversight on Sony's part in my opinion.)

flickr (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,541 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 15, 2018 21:51 |  #19659

Justinsmnz wrote in post #18685021 (external link)
I know 450 seconds is a very long exposure, but the hot pixels here seem just a tad extreme, no? I only pushed the raw +1 stop exposure and +30 in the shadows.

Anyone have any insight on preventing this? (besides simply shooting shorter exposures, that is :-D) This isn't the first time I've seen this since owning the A7rIII. I've noticed the hot pixels popping up in exposures even as short as 30sec or so.

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

*by a "tad extreme," I mean this is downright disappointing compared to my long-exposure experience with the 5Ds. I honestly thought my only gripe for long-exposure when switching to Sony would be the lack of built in bulb-timer and intervalometer (which is still a mind boggling oversight on Sony's part in my opinion.)

Stacking short exposures. That’s the appeal of smooth reflection app that Sony took away..... a ton better than shooting bulb and no need for calculations. Damn shame.

Sony A7iii/ZV-1 - FE 24/1.4 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 - 28-200 RXD
Panasonic G9 - Laowa 7.5/2 - PL 15/1.7 - P 42.5/1.8 - OM 75/1.8 - PL 10-25/1.7 - P 12-32 - P 14-140

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
13,710 posts
Gallery: 635 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 16, 2018 01:41 |  #19660

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

Was lenr on?

α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
8,436 posts
Gallery: 583 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 16, 2018 06:12 |  #19661

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

What was the ambient temp outside?

Have you tried that with ISO 50?

Adobe Camera RAW used to fix those automagically...I have not tried it lately.

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)|YouTube (external link)

Justinsmnz
Goldmember
1,101 posts
Joined Feb 2014
Post edited over 2 years ago by Justinsmnz.

Aug 16, 2018 07:06 |  #19662

Charlie wrote in post #18685043 (external link)
Stacking short exposures. That’s the appeal of smooth reflection app that Sony took away..... a ton better than shooting bulb and no need for calculations. Damn shame.

I've never actually tried stacking exposures – I must just like the risk involved in waiting 5-10 minutes for extra long exposures only to find out that I botched something from the beginning. :-P

That's a great idea though, and I will definitely give it a try!

xpfloyd wrote in post #18685102 (external link)
Was lenr on?

No, I just checked and remembered that I turned it off when I first set up the camera. I always left that off with the Canons, but I should probably give it a shot to see how Sony has implemented it.

TRhoads wrote in post #18685171 (external link)
What was the ambient temp outside?

Have you tried that with ISO 50?

Adobe Camera RAW used to fix those automagically...I have not tried it lately.

It was a bit warm, but much better than I was used to shooting in Florida summers. Probably around 80*F near the water.

I was shooting with a 15-stop filter, and figured a 16 minute exposure would have been overkill so I stuck to ISO 100. Am I mistaken, or is anything below 100 simply a simulated ISO anyways and is in-camera digitally adjusting what is actually an ISO 100 frame?

Yeah, Camera Raw used to always automatically remove the hot pixels when I opened Canon files. I wonder if I'm missing a checked setting somewhere so that it also does it with Sony.

flickr (external link)

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
21,436 posts
Gallery: 1939 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Aug 16, 2018 08:07 |  #19663

kumpu wrote in post #18684765 (external link)

Striking!

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

MedicineMan4040
21,436 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Aug 16, 2018 08:08 |  #19664

Yeah man get back out and post something up!
Good luck with the sale. Won't take long.
I'm waiting (and waiting) on a Voigt 40/1.2 and not currently in sight :(

flickr (external link)

MedicineMan4040
21,436 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Aug 16, 2018 08:10 |  #19665

navydoc wrote in post #18684857 (external link)
Here's my cluttered BTS shot showing my camera on an overhead arm, two circular diffusers in front of two strip boxes. Laptop is on the left on a stand.

I had forgotten until I went to my editing computer that I didn't even have a card in the camera. The images are saved to the laptop directly. :-)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by navydoc in
./showthread.php?p=186​84857&i=i215696726
forum: Sony Cameras

Great pullback as always.
Stand goes up to a horizontal bar holding camera.
Is there another stand also supporting the horizontal bar I can't see?
If not then your stand and the horizontal must be stout! The moment
arm weight of the camera held in that vertical position is probably 10 pounds.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

7,451,315 views & 98,178 likes for this thread
Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.