Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 15 Sep 2014 (Monday) 11:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EF 400mm f/4L IS DO II USM

Sounds
133 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Jul 31, 2018 15:37 as a reply to  @ post 18673276 |  #901

Cor that was close Robert.I really thought I was going to have to make some best effort at a lengthy eloquent post( ha ha me and eloquent that's funny:lol:) ,in a desparate attempt for you not to sell your DO. wow , a whole forum just breathed a sigh of relief;-)a

Seriously you don't know an RV10 thingy, and then,just post the above eagle in a nonchalant manner HMMMMM.:lol:

Sorry buddy, I'm full of childhood glee, I have half a hunch it doesn't matter what was in your hand tool wise, You would still make a thing of beauty to show us.

I do love this lens, I have basically one lens oh and a macro. But really, hares deer at al, require a bit of reach,so I have one 400mm lens and a couple of exts iii's My 1div can be amazing with both the bare and the 1.4 but really I rarely used the 2X. In all honesty i'm not a leanred photographer that understands all this digital technology terribly well. But, always I felt that really newer tech body wise was the missing link This was going to be a long haul,to newer tech I've been musing three cameras for the longest time. I guess before buying my 400doisii a somewhat niche lens I was trying to sort out a little tool kit . I need reach at times , I stalk and need to be mobile so the portable 400/560/800 is great. But on occassion where I want reach with my 1Div with the low light so oft here,I simply barely used my 2x .

Last week I finally put in the last bit of the equation the camera, a 1DX I,(OMG so much money) a used one is more than enough............... ,erm WOW!!!!!!!! the 2X is nuts it works like I expect of the 1.4 , well almost. Look I'm in now way fit for these tools yet,but the pairing of camera 1.4 and now 2xexts and 400 is wonderful.

I'm a stalker I love animals and seem to have always been able to get close to them.It's from chiildhood I guess this animal thing. So I get me head down graft me butt of get me tool kit.

My second outing, there I am with this incredible camera grinning like a cheshire cat, (ear to ear) camera knocking out 800mm . All that dosh for 800mm and the blummin beasties come too close, and I have to go to 560.......hey ho :lol::lol::lol:

I went there for a roe (deer),maybe having a swim , I got besotted by an egret and a tiny thing ,I think a wood sandpiper bless:love:. I gave up and took off the 2x because I could barely frame. My first real chance with either especially at dawn. So I sort of forgot why I was there for an hour or two.

Naturally while being besotted:oops: a roe doe took a dip behind my back When I finally, DOH, realised she was there,she was so close it was silly What a bit of luck I was only at 560 mm. Ha ha best laid plans and all !

So here's a 400DO is ii image of said egret with a 2x ext iii and my new toy that complete's my little tool kit for the mo. I've alot to learn guys one hell of alot to learn,so this file will surely improve my post skills are ok but I've already been shown there is more,but it's a lovely start to a journey.

Sorry for waffling new toy bought and paid for the old way cold hard graft and hours. The potential is stunning. I 'm a very happy bunny;-)a

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1836/42865240995_4daa4f87ae_o.png
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/28iR​yKe  (external link) _S2I7730sm j.jpg (external link) by Stuart Philpott (external link), on Flickr

take care

stu

sponsored links
mikeivan
Goldmember
1,265 posts
Gallery: 306 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 06, 2018 14:03 |  #902

Cicada

Often heard in our back yard but seldom seen. In spite of the poor conditions and shady light, I had to give this a try:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

I found him perched on our back fence, when I went out to start my grill for supper.

MFD (10'), hand held and slightly cropped. Another win for the 400DOii and IS and Neat Image

MIKEIVAN

Lame-Duck
Cream of the Crop
12,622 posts
Gallery: 497 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 06, 2018 21:32 |  #903

mikeivan wrote in post #18678684 (external link)
Cicada

Often heard in our back yard but seldom seen. In spite of the poor conditions and shady light, I had to give this a try:

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by mikeivan in
./showthread.php?p=186​78684&i=i75922103
forum: Lens Sample Photo Archive

I found him perched on our back fence, when I went out to start my grill for supper.

MFD (10'), hand held and slightly cropped. Another win for the 400DOii and IS and Neat Image

Good thing that you gave it a try. That is really a very nice shot.

LD, or Mike
Often mistaken, but never in doubt.

Sounds
133 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Aug 09, 2018 14:05 |  #904

Mike that really is quite lovely it's the texture and cool blues of your fence set against the greens and wonderful wings of your cicada,I'm glad you had a crack at it too!! Mike can I ask for the uncropped version please? I sort of expect to me a more rectangular crop might appeal more than the square,tis all so personal these opinions. Any way which ever way it's cropped............ I really like your image .:-)

I don't do that much set up kind of image making,My good lady doesn't drive, we live out a bit in the countryisde. So she is sort of locked away here,our photograpjy is us filling our souls from nature together. We have lived here a while,20yrs plus,I don't like spays,nature sorts my plant pest out,to to cut a long story short,as an engllish guy with a humble home i'm also blessed with some lovely photo ops right here . becuase my garden is a tiny bit erm unkenpt:oops:

I took a bit of time out recently to add some stuff:lol: to our feeders,which are basically 7 yards or so away from front door,bought a little tray for maybe drinking reflection type images. We have had a famiily of great spotted woodpeckers..GSW...her​e for a few years now. the parents are nervous timid birds.They have brought us one kidlet this year,leastways I'm all but sure only one. She's a little corker and alot of my efforts have been centered on her, as if she stays past the first shutter break,she's quite confiding. Naturally,it might give me windows to explore me new tools as well. So i've really been working with the 800mm camera combo only. I'm basically after very close very tight portraits .

We spent a few hours finding bit's of moss and wood,drilled some hole and played at making a fake woodland woodpecker set to make some image but not really show my viewer the desert that is our front garden. We have been here a quarter of a century now,it's never ever been so hot and dry for so long .

Here's my first a pick from a session that started 4 hours after we finished setting up I'm sat low in my front door way no cover,sadly if she was say 10 or 15 mins earlier the light would have been fun,here I'm really trying to learn and just let her get used to the shutter noise. I probably made a hundred of the same frame . sort of nuts,but not really . Frankly I'm more than bewildered,this is iso 16000, I was also stunned by canons DPP 4 lastest version did with noise. I sharpened a bit in PSCC but no selective nr. I'd love thoughts on what you see detail and noise wise.
Cool little start,I'm simply blown away by the comboo It feels, to a layman, like i'm finally seeing what this, mad little, very very expensive 400 DO is mark ii can really do.But you be the judge of that:-)

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1814/42987347045_5a1d7c101e_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/28uD​oBX  (external link) _S2I8821GSW 1sm (external link) by Stuart Philpott (external link), on Flickr

I got another brief session in with her more light ,but had to go a graftiing so nothing is yet processed .She's also using the pond which is cool.

take care

stu

mikeivan
Goldmember
1,265 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 10, 2018 09:32 |  #905

Sounds wrote in post #18680952 (external link)
Mike that really is quite lovely it's the texture and cool blues of your fence set against the greens and wonderful wings of your cicada,I'm glad you had a crack at it too!! Mike can I ask for the uncropped version please? I sort of expect to me a more rectangular crop might appeal more than the square,tis all so personal these opinions. Any way which ever way it's cropped............ I really like your image .:-)

Here's my first a pick from a session that started 4 hours after we finished setting up Frankly I'm more than bewildered,this is iso 16000, I was also stunned by canons DPP 4 lastest version did with noise. I sharpened a bit in PSCC but no selective nr. I'd love thoughts on what you see detail and noise wise.

Cool little start,I'm simply blown away by the comboo It feels, to a layman, like i'm finally seeing what this, mad little, very very expensive 400 DO is mark ii can really do.But you be the judge of that:-)

take care

stu

Stu, thanks for the kind words, I also prefer the rectangular shape. In this case, I wanted my cicada as large as possible for POTN, to show the sharpness. The entire sensor looks like this:

HOSTED PHOTO

My impression is that the new DOii Image Stabilization is far superior to the DOi, which I owned for several years. Your woodpecker is very sharp and clean and the colors are quite rich. One can't go wrong with a green background. Quite amazing for ISO 16000. I agree about the expense, but in my case, it is money well spent. Because of my arthritic hands, having a entire rig that weighs only 7.5 pounds, that I can handhold, has extended my photographic career, such as it is, by several years.

MIKEIVAN

Sounds
133 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Aug 10, 2018 12:09 as a reply to  @ mikeivan's post |  #906

Mike thanks very much indeed,very kind !! Yes, I do prefer FF,lovely image,I'm quite taken with your cicada:-) .

I also find the DO ii IS amazing,but Mike I only have my old 300f2.8is to compare with,so it's difficult for me to know how it compares with other lenses. I'm sorry about the arthritis Mike,I know only too, well sadly,my lady is being given a hard time by it. As with your experience Mike, I genuinely think this lens is extending the time older folks can spend with a large white in the field,it's a lovely thing .

I had my rig stripped down this morn,I 'd actually forgotten how light this amazing lens is,without a 1series body(brick ) attached. I very nearly did my self a mischief :lol: as my brain computed one weight and my hand applied way too much lift,I very nearly hit my self in the face .

The lens is amazingly sharp, it takes the EXT's so well !! At the level I am at I can't really find alot of difference in IQ when I add either the 1.4 or 2X ext iii's with this new camera added in. Before with the 1div I could still get pretty good IQ,with the 2x,but I never really felt completely comfortable like I did with the 1.4. .

Thank you again for the kindness Mike,a lovely frame and in this case really cool seeing what you saw and framed.

take care

stu

mikeivan
Goldmember
1,265 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 10, 2018 21:35 |  #907

Cicada. Now I see them every day, what's up? Brighter shade and better pose, albeit, upside down. No mas.

HOSTED PHOTO

This Knockout Rose was what I was seeking, this morning:

HOSTED PHOTO

MIKEIVAN

Lame-Duck
Cream of the Crop
12,622 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 10, 2018 23:16 |  #908

mikeivan wrote in post #18681795 (external link)
Cicada. Now I see them every day, what's up? Brighter shade and better pose, albeit, upside down. No mas.

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=186​81795&i=i216855788

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=186​81795&i=i22434179

These are both really nice shots.

LD, or Mike

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
18,449 posts
Gallery: 1835 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Aug 13, 2018 05:14 |  #909

mikeivan wrote in post #18681795 (external link)

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=186​81795&i=i216855788

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=186​81795&i=i22434179

Upside down looks great to me!

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

mikeivan
Goldmember
1,265 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 15, 2018 15:56 |  #910

BLUE DASHER DRAGONFLY

HOSTED PHOTO

Another backyard bug, this one with an attractive pose and background. About MFD and cropped a bit for composition. DOF is pretty thin at that distance (10'), even stopped down some. Too hot for me to stay outside for very long, 90 at 10:30am!

MIKEIVAN

Lame-Duck
Cream of the Crop
12,622 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 15, 2018 16:01 |  #911

mikeivan wrote in post #18684891 (external link)
BLUE DASHER DRAGONFLY
thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=186​84891&i=i75501306

Another backyard bug, this one with an attractive pose and background. About MFD and cropped a bit for composition. DOF is pretty thin at that distance (10'), even stopped down some. Too hot for me to stay outside for very long, 90 at 10:30am!

That is a very nice, sharp image.

LD, or Mike

MedicineMan4040
18,449 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Aug 22, 2018 16:01 |  #912

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1883/43486653244_1f4dca8505_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/29fL​sXw  (external link) Gazing at my sig (external link) by MedicineMan4040 (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link)

Sounds
133 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Aug 23, 2018 13:34 |  #913

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18690400 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/29fL​sXw  (external link) Gazing at my sig (external link) by MedicineMan4040 (external link), on Flickr

Robert if I've missed it my apologies,who is this fine fella . We have something called a crested tit lives up north you little friend reminds me of him.

Oh Robert it seems ill advised you being a medicane man an all, but...... becareful,any sharper and your going to do your self a mischief:lol:

lovely image mate !!

stu

MedicineMan4040
18,449 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Aug 23, 2018 21:41 |  #914

Sounds wrote in post #18691005 (external link)
Robert if I've missed it my apologies,who is this fine fella . We have something called a crested tit lives up north you little friend reminds me of him.

Oh Robert it seems ill advised you being a medicane man an all, but...... becareful,any sharper and your going to do your self a mischief:lol:

lovely image mate !!

stu

Stu you are always a bright spot!
Yes it is called a Titmouse here. Quite a strange name for a bierd eh :)
We have them in the backyard year around...a pleasant creature.

flickr (external link)

MedicineMan4040
18,449 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 07, 2018 00:04 |  #915

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1841/44525466371_15ba570117_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2aQy​DUF  (external link) Untied (external link) by MedicineMan4040 (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

313,871 views & 3,000 likes for this thread
Canon EF 400mm f/4L IS DO II USM
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.