Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 15 Aug 2018 (Wednesday) 01:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Transcend memory cards any good?

laksht
36 posts
Joined Aug 2018
Post edited 6 months ago by laksht.

Aug 15, 2018 01:59 |  #1

my first post on the forum.

Are transcend SD cards reliable i heard their customer service is bad and they give proper support.

If not transcend would you suggest any other brand i use a canon T6.

Laksh

sponsored links
drmaxx
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 15, 2018 03:14 |  #2

Transcend has a good price performance ratio and has worked for me reliably over the years (high use - but not professionally). An alternative brand is SanDisk with good test results. No comments about customer service - as for me this is not a decisive factor for buying memory.

Donate if you love POTN

DBNissan
991 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 15, 2018 03:27 |  #3

I use Transcend memory and haven't had any issues. I mostly use SanDisk Extreme Pro, Lexar Pro (discontinued brand but still some inventory available), and Samsung EVO+. I haven't had any issues with any of the cards so I have no experience with customer service

~Dan Sony Kit: a6500 | a7iii | 18-105mm f/4 G | MC-11 | TT685S | TT350S | X1T-S | Canon Kit: 6D | 80D | 50D | S120 | 16-35mm f/4L | 24-105 f/4L | 17-55mm f/2.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 50mm f/1.8 STM | 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM | Sigma 8mm f/3.5 | Tamron 18-270mm VC | Tamron 70-300mm VC | Tamron C-AF BBAR MC7 2xTC | 580EXII | 430EXII | YN-500EX | YN-622C | Flashpoint RoveLight 600
www.DBNphotography.com (external link)

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,075 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 16, 2018 10:38 |  #4

Have a Transcend CF card that is pretty old as well as some SD cards that must be 10 years old and they all work flawlessly. They are middle of the road cards (600x or maybe slightly less) The super fast cards I have are all Lexar, including the two new SD 1000x cards I just got on sale from B&H.

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,349 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 16, 2018 11:02 |  #5

I've been using a mix of Transcend and Sandisk cards for 10+ years and they've been solid performers. Used both CF and SD w/ no troubles.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

laksht
THREAD ­ STARTER
36 posts
Joined Aug 2018

Aug 16, 2018 14:05 as a reply to  @ Snydremark's post |  #6

Many thanks for your help.

Will be getting some transcend cards 32 gb soon.

Laksh

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,954 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 17, 2018 05:50 |  #7

Had a Transcend 32GB CF card for about four years now, as I think I got it about the same time as my 50D. No troubles with it at all. TBH the only CF card I ever have had trouble with was Fuji branded and was faulty from new. Took it back to the retailer, WEX, and they just refunded me with no problem. Fortunately I was able to recover the images that were already on the card. I try to stay well away from SD cards, I seem to be able to kill them just by touching them wrong.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

laksht
THREAD ­ STARTER
36 posts
Joined Aug 2018

Aug 17, 2018 12:48 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #8

Very Nice pics.

Were all of the images captured using transcend memory?

Will see your entire photo stream in some time.

Lakshman

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,954 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 18, 2018 09:56 |  #9

laksht wrote in post #18686021 (external link)
Very Nice pics.

Were all of the images captured using transcend memory?

Will see your entire photo stream in some time.

Lakshman

If that question was asked of me, then thanks for the compliment on the images. Most of the time I have the transcend 32GB card in my 50D. I also have three 8GB Sandisk cards too, and occasionally I'll use one of those instead of the Transcend one. When I shoot an airshow I usually manage to completely fill all four of those cards with images from the 50D. I also have my old 20D which my daughter uses quite a bit. She uses the original 1GB Jessops branded card I got with my 300D back in 2005. I also have a non branded 2GB card that I got about 2007 and that is the card that spends most of the time in the 20D. I got the three Sandisk cards secondhand at about the time I got the 20D in 2012.

On the whole I think it is quite hard to buy bad memory cards. They seem to be the sort of thing that will either die at or very close to the time you purchase it, or last for years. I think I might have issues with static build up, since I do seem to be able to kill SD cards by handling them. to my mind the exposed contacts of SD cards do make that a potential method of failure. I also understand that it is also really really uncommon.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 19, 2018 04:41 |  #10

BigAl007 wrote in post #18686646 (external link)
On the whole I think it is quite hard to buy bad memory cards. They seem to be the sort of thing that will either die at or very close to the time you purchase it, or last for years.

For quite a while there were quite some cheap sub-spec sd cards out there. Not sure if this is still the case. But these were rejects and did not had the effective amount of memory announced. The effect was that existing files were just overwritten as the file system mapped existing memory twice. I am quite careful with sd cards that are too cheap and try to stick with brand names.

Donate if you love POTN

laksht
THREAD ­ STARTER
36 posts
Joined Aug 2018

Aug 21, 2018 06:34 as a reply to  @ drmaxx's post |  #11

Got two of these today seem to be working good so far
https://www.adorama.co​m/tssdh1030032.html (external link)

laksh

mckownphoto
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Aug 2018

Aug 29, 2018 23:18 |  #12

I use to throw Transcends away about every 12 months. However, I threw them away before they actually went bad and that was based off about 400+ clients a year. So you get your moneys worth .. I've had $200 name brand cards that died in the same amount of time. These days I use Samsung cards .. simply because they're good quality and I have so many various devices & gear that use micro sd's

Senior Portraits - Colorado Springs | Denver (external link)

sponsored links

1,648 views & 1 like for this thread
Transcend memory cards any good?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.