Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 17 Aug 2018 (Friday) 00:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Basic Snoot Questions

kat.hayes
168 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 17, 2018 00:33 |  #1

I want to get a snoot for my monolight/backlight that I use a gel with, so it does not bounce any light back to my subject. I have zero experience with snoots. The snoot sold by Hensel for my Hensel monolight is $118, and I see others from Impact going for $30.

1. Are snoots generally universal with all monolights? Should you stick with snoots from the light manufacturer? OR can I get the Impact one or any other model?
2. Anything in particular I should be looking for?
3. Any downsides to using a snoot?

Thanks in advance.

sponsored links
sincity
172 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Aug 17, 2018 07:35 |  #2

I have a Eli with the 10Deg grid, and its really good at controlling the light. Do note that snoots do eat a lot of power unless it is placed close, and I don't use them as much as I thought I would. Another option, even cheaper is the Balcar discs in front of the standard 7 inch reflector. These discs reduce the spill of light.

When you go shopping for a snoot, pay attention to the angle ; Smaller diameter= smaller coverage/angle. Some are 15 deg, Impact is a 20 degree coverage to facilitate the plastic gels. You can also use your regular gels in any one of them. Some of the other thing to look at is the length of the tube.. Longer tube=more defined edge.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,331 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 17, 2018 07:46 |  #3

kat.hayes wrote in post #18685726 (external link)
I want to get a snoot for my monolight/backlight that I use a gel with

Background light?

A snoot is used to focus or concentrate the light into a specific area.

If eliminating spill while lighting a large area of the background is your goal you'd be better served with another solution.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

windpig
Chopped liver
14,776 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 17, 2018 07:57 |  #4

snoots are over rated.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

NDAPhoto
261 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2015

Aug 17, 2018 08:52 |  #5

kat.hayes wrote in post #18685726 (external link)
I want to get a snoot for my monolight/backlight that I use a gel with, so it does not bounce any light back to my subject. I have zero experience with snoots. The snoot sold by Hensel for my Hensel monolight is $118, and I see others from Impact going for $30.

Aside from the mount being compatible, you only need to be concerned with the shape. Before buying one, you can experiment with a cone made from construction paper or cardboard. Snoots are generally used to concentrate light in a small area. Grids might better serve you to control spill. Moving the position closer or using barn doors are also options.

Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
1,021 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2015
Post edited 7 months ago by Angmo.

Aug 17, 2018 21:51 |  #6

I’ve got an Eli snoot. Used very little. Never on backgrounds. Standard reflector with grids and/or barn doors is far more versatile. For me at least.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

ThreeHounds
837 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited 7 months ago by ThreeHounds.

Aug 18, 2018 10:54 |  #7

I use a snoot (Impact, Bowens mount. Under $40 with grid and gels from B&H) to light BGs for my food/beverage shots. Often gelled, sometimes shuttered with gaff tape for effects. Love it.

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,032 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Aug 25, 2018 22:05 |  #8

An alternative:

Cine foil makes a great snoot and you can customize the shape and size to suit your purpose.

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

sponsored links

1,411 views & 5 likes for this thread
Basic Snoot Questions
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.