Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 17 Aug 2018 (Friday) 06:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D Mk1 looking for an ideal upgrade - 6D Mk2?

landth
222 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Post edited 6 months ago by landth. (2 edits in all)

Aug 17, 2018 06:29 |  #1

Currently using a Canon 15-85 and 70-200 F4.
My wife uses a 24-70 F4 on her 50D so can swap that onto the 6D meaning a body only purchase is possible.

My thought was that in moving to the 6D Mk2 I give us both an upgrade in feature for reasonable spend.

Mostly I shoot landscapes now, occasionally motor sport and night shots (on tripod).
She is into macro (she has the 60 and 100) and landscape with some portrait focus as well.

I've always loved the 7D performance, but like the advantages of being able to upload on the go and geo-tag etc, I also like the "sound" of the new AF capabilities of the 6D.

Would love some input on the body choice, I am happy with the glass options we have for the bucks we want to spend.

Cheers

Cheers, Len
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,411 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 6 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Aug 17, 2018 06:33 |  #2

Give the 7D to the wife and upgrade the 50D, IMO. A 6D would be significant too, no real need for the 6D2 other than the centralized cluster of AF points over the 11 points of the 6D (the 50D only has 9 more inferior AF points).

If you are considering the 6D2, since you shoot motorsports, I would suggest instead to look for a 5D3 or 7D2, both have great AF systems and produce very nice images.

So 6D if on a budget, 7D2 if on a slight budget, 5D3 if a bit more spending cash.... that is my suggestion anyways.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

landth
THREAD ­ STARTER
222 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 17, 2018 06:54 |  #3

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18685815 (external link)
Give the 7D to the wife and upgrade the 50D, IMO. A 6D would be significant too, no real need for the 6D2 other than the centralized cluster of AF points over the 11 points of the 6D (the 50D only has 9 more inferior AF points).

If you are considering the 6D2, since you shoot motorsports, I would suggest instead to look for a 5D3 or 7D2, both have great AF systems and produce very nice images.

So 6D if on a budget, 7D2 if on a slight budget, 5D3 if a bit more spending cash.... that is my suggestion anyways.

Thanks mate, effectively by giving her the 7D and buying a new one we are following the "upgrade the 50D" advice.

Her upgrade if we went the 6D Mk2 is 50D to 7D and mine would be 7D to the new body.

I can get the 6D Mk2 for 2500 AUD on 60 months interest free, or the 5D Mk4 for 4900 AUD on the same deal.
The retailer doesn't sell the 7D Mk2.

Cheers, Len
Flickr (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,411 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 6 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Aug 17, 2018 09:03 as a reply to  @ landth's post |  #4

So no 6D or 5D3? Probably not as that is an older model. Might look into preowned or refurbished sources to see what is available and whether it is a cost savings or not.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,009 posts
Joined Nov 2005
Post edited 6 months ago by RPCrowe. (2 edits in all)

Aug 17, 2018 12:57 |  #5

I have both the 7D2 and the 6D2... The 7D2 is a really great camera especially in the line of autofocus. I was told at the Canon Service Center in Costa Mesa, CA, that the hot rumor circulating around the Canon folks there is that we can expect to see a 7D3 out next month.

Now concerning the 6D2... This had the capabilities of becoming a great camera but has fallen far short of that mark. Canon competes with Canon in that they are fearful of putting too many features into the 6D2 because they don't want that cheaper camera to cut into the sales of the flagship 5D Mark IV. As a result of these omissions, I would have a hard time recommending this camera to anyone despite the fact that you can often get it at a deeply discounted price. It has been discounted because Canon is having a hard time selling it. In fact Sony is kicking Canon's rear end with their new Sony A7iii - which is also an "Entry Level" full frame camera.

Some on my problems with the 6D Mark.ii are:

1. Canon plopped the AF system from the crop frame 80D right into the 6D2 with no alteration. As a result, the autofocus array is bunched up in the middle of the frame. You cannot use the eye level viewfinder and auto focus for head and shoulders portraits without being forced to focus and recompose since you cannot compose a head and shoulders portrait with an AF point on the subjects eyes. Often focus ad recompose is chancy if you are using a portrait lens like the great Canon 85mm f/1.2 wide open. Sure you can use live view. The dual pixel AF system in live view is great and covers most of the frame. However, I am forced to use some sort of viewfinder when I am viewing my image on the LCD in the sun. I use a Swivi viewfinder which allows me to better see the image on the LCD (https://www.adorama.co​m …_v_FUfxoAfkMaAi​HDEALw_wcB (external link)). I find the Swivi better than the Hoodman Loupe for this job. Using single point AF in Live View is extremely accurate but, a bit slow. Using Face Detect speeds up the process considerably. But, I would really rather have an eye level viewfinder, especially one like the Sony A7ii with Eye AF.

2. The maximum sync speed is 1/160 second. I would rather have a camera with a 1/250 or even a 1/200 second sync speed, since I would be able to use regular sync instead of HSS more frequently.

3. The maximum shutter speed of 1/4000 of a second puts me at a disadvantage over a shutter speed of 1/8000 second when I want to shoot using a wide open aperture on a fast lens outdoors, especially in bright sun.

I won't even go into the other lacks: no 4K (which doesn't bother me but, which Canon should have added to the camera); no dual card slots I have not ever had a card fail but, I have had a card slot on my 7D2 fail (the second card slot saved my bacon); No USB-3 slot, just a USB-2 which doesn't allow me to use many of the Tether Tools cables.

I am sure that there are other features lacking but, these are simply the major ones that come to mind. I won't even go into the dynamic range problems with this camera.

Yes, the dual pixel AF in live view is great as is the fully articulating LCD with touch control but, IMO, these don't make up for the 6D2 lacking so many other features.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,276 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 17, 2018 16:46 |  #6

For a lot of folks, the absence of the joystick (missing on Canon 6Dn, Canon 70D and 80D, the Tsn bodies) is not an issue. For some, that is a big issue. Figure out how much that matters to you.

Also, the 6Dn is missing the PC cord connector for studio flash, so you have to use a radio remote trigger or get an adapter that allows the PC cable to connect at the camera hotshoe.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

landth
THREAD ­ STARTER
222 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 17, 2018 19:38 |  #7

Thanks guys, much appreciated, based on your feedback I think I will wait until I see a deal on the 7D Mk2

Cheers, Len
Flickr (external link)

graham121
Goldmember
1,156 posts
Gallery: 107 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 17, 2018 20:25 |  #8

Have you considered the 80D, that could also be a logical upgrade from the 7D.

A coupla bodies and a few lenses

landth
THREAD ­ STARTER
222 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 19, 2018 01:55 |  #9

graham121 wrote in post #18686347 (external link)
Have you considered the 80D, that could also be a logical upgrade from the 7D.

I bought the 7D Mk2 last night :)
I did have a look at the 80D, but it felt less "substantial" in my hand, most of the features it has over the 7D I have on my Lumix TZ110 which is what I use when I don't want "gear".

It (the 80D) does look like the best value for money in the range, and if I was directly upgrading my wife's I would have gone that way, but she preferred the way the controls fell to hand on my old 7D over the newer line so was an easy call in the hand.

Was seriously tempted by the 5D but I don't get the usage to justify the cost of a new one and prefer not to buy bodies 2nd hand.

Thanks again for the assist in choice guys, it helps to bounce off people who can relate to your specifics rather than specifications!

Cheers, Len
Flickr (external link)

Mbell1975
248 posts
Joined Jul 2018
Post edited 6 months ago by Mbell1975.

Aug 19, 2018 14:49 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

landth wrote in post #18687194 (external link)
I bought the 7D Mk2 last night :)
I did have a look at the 80D, but it felt less "substantial" in my hand, most of the features it has over the 7D I have on my Lumix TZ110 which is what I use when I don't want "gear".

It (the 80D) does look like the best value for money in the range, and if I was directly upgrading my wife's I would have gone that way, but she preferred the way the controls fell to hand on my old 7D over the newer line so was an easy call in the hand.

Was seriously tempted by the 5D but I don't get the usage to justify the cost of a new one and prefer not to buy bodies 2nd hand.

Thanks again for the assist in choice guys, it helps to bounce off people who can relate to your specifics rather than specifications!

A 6D would have been an upgrade from your 7D and even an upgrade over the 7DII depending on what you place more value on. The 6D is $400 cheaper too but enjoy the 7DII, not a bad camera at all.

Tim ­ S
Goldmember
1,483 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 12, 2018 14:18 as a reply to  @ Mbell1975's post |  #11

The 7DMkII is a great upgrade. I bought a 6DMkII as my first full frame camera. Love the sensor and ISO capabilities but the AF sorely lacks. I currently own a 7D, 7DMkII, 6DMkII and an M3. The 7D was an upgrade from a 50D.

Tim
Equipment

sponsored links

922 views & 4 likes for this thread
7D Mk1 looking for an ideal upgrade - 6D Mk2?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.