Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 16 Mar 2018 (Friday) 02:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I've switched to Sony twice. Hated it. Now I'm thinking about doing it a third time.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 19, 2018 19:08 |  #226
bannedPermanent ban

Mbell1975 wrote in post #18687764 (external link)
True but DR is pretty much meaningless to most shooters. Dynamic resolution has become an even more overused and overhyped catchphrase than megapixels, most dont even really understand what it is let alone if they really need it. If the vast majority of shooters needed a lot of DR, you wouldn't see Canon cameras dominating every sports event and all the other places you see Canon cameras in abundance. i'll take the superior resolution over DR any day of the week. I think the 5Ds is fantastic for my uses and produces an almost 3D look in solid lighting. Very sharp and clear.

You'd take an extra 8 mpixels over a two stop DR gain. What exactly would those extra megapickles buy you? I know exactly what extra DR buys me...but for your photography...what would 50 mpix buy you over 42 mpix. Nada.

sponsored links
Mbell1975
248 posts
Joined Jul 2018
Post edited over 1 year ago by Mbell1975.

Aug 19, 2018 19:12 |  #227
bannedPermanent ban

Hogloff wrote in post #18687772 (external link)
You'd take an extra 8 mpixels over a two stop DR gain. What exactly would those extra megapickles buy you? I know exactly what extra DR buys me...but for your photography...what would 50 mpix buy you over 42 mpix. Nada.

What Canon camera has 42MP? My 6D has 20MP. I have zero interest in owning a Sony camera, Ive shot enough of them to know that.

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
9,498 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012
Post edited over 1 year ago by mystik610.

Aug 19, 2018 19:14 |  #228

Mbell1975 wrote in post #18687764 (external link)
True but DR is pretty much meaningless to most shooters. Dynamic resolution has become an even more overused and overhyped catchphrase than megapixels, most dont even really understand what it is let alone if they really need it. If the vast majority of shooters needed a lot of DR, you wouldn't see Canon cameras dominating every sports event and all the other places you see Canon cameras in abundance. i'll take the superior resolution over DR any day of the week. I think the 5Ds is fantastic for my uses and produces an almost 3D look in solid lighting. Very sharp and clear.

Sports and wildlife is an area where DR is less relevant since they're shooting at such compressed FOV's and there is less contrast to contend with in the frame.

But sports and wildlife is a small subset of photography as a whole.

There are very many other types of photography that do benefit from more DR though.....which is why its such a topic of discussion these days.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀIV - α7ʀIII
Sigma 14-24 f2.8 ART - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sigma 35 f1.2 ART - Sony 35 1.8 - Sony/Zeiss 55 1.8 - Sony 85GM

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 19, 2018 19:22 |  #229
bannedPermanent ban

mystik610 wrote in post #18687785 (external link)
Sports and wildlife is an area where DR is less relevant since they're shooting at such compressed FOV's and there is less contrast to contend with in the frame.

But sports and wildlife is a small subset of photography as a whole.

There are very many other types of photography that do benefit from more DR though.....which is why its such a topic of discussion these days.

Even sports and wildlife at times have deep shadows or bright highlights where extended DR comes in handy.

Mbell1975
248 posts
Joined Jul 2018
Post edited over 1 year ago by Mbell1975. (2 edits in all)

Aug 19, 2018 19:45 |  #230
bannedPermanent ban

Hogloff wrote in post #18687791 (external link)
Even sports and wildlife at times have deep shadows or bright highlights where extended DR comes in handy.

I guess all the pros shooting every major sporting event and all the National Geographic photographers shooting Canon dont agree or they would have switched systems years ago :-P DR is massively overrated.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 19, 2018 19:53 |  #231
bannedPermanent ban

Mbell1975 wrote in post #18687806 (external link)
I guess all the pros shooting every major sporting event and all the National Geographic photographers shooting Canon dont agree or they would have switched systems years ago :-P DR is massively overrated.

Says the guy who shoots under controlled lighting with posed models. There are many situations where you cannot control the lighting and in these conditions, it's really nice to know you have extended DR.

Funny that so many Cannon shooters were very pleased with the extra DR in the 5d4 camera...guess they were all disillusioned about DR...who needs it...a set of lights with a soft box fixes everything.

Mbell1975
248 posts
Joined Jul 2018

Aug 19, 2018 20:26 |  #232
bannedPermanent ban

Hogloff wrote in post #18687814 (external link)
Says the guy who shoots under controlled lighting with posed models. There are many situations where you cannot control the lighting and in these conditions, it's really nice to know you have extended DR.

Funny that so many Cannon shooters were very pleased with the extra DR in the 5d4 camera...guess they were all disillusioned about DR...who needs it...a set of lights with a soft box fixes everything.

We have been over this. I shoot natural light outdoors probably 35-40% of the time and Im well aware there are conditions one can't control. As I said, DR is massively overrated. I just think if it were that big of a factor, Canon cameras wouldn't dominate every genre of photography. Can you name a genre of photography Canon does not dominate? I can't.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,143 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Aug 19, 2018 20:39 |  #233

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #18687043 (external link)
What year are you living in? I've had a 4k TV for over 2 years now... it's actually getting hard to buy 1080p TV's, 4K is the new standard. Even my 13" laptop has nearly a 4k screen...

But you still only get 1920×1080i programming on cable or satellite. The proposal for the planned additions in ATSC 3.0 is support for HD video in up to 4K resolution. Not yet adopted. Your 'fell for it'...like lots of folks bought 3D TV. The difference is, if you wait long enough, you just might be able to get broadcast programming to suit your TV's capacilities. And while 4K streaming sources are available, these streaming services only offer a tiny portion of their vast libraries in 4K.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Wilt
43,143 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 19, 2018 20:46 |  #234

aladyforty wrote in post #18687222 (external link)
when did the art of photography become so much about the gear, Im seeing amazing work coming out of cameras that are over five years old and some real crap from the latest gear. That said, bring on the camera wars, I will be happy to pick up cheap a DSLR that I cant afford today because so many will be selling thinking their images will be so much better from the latest gear :rolleyes:

...when chimping and shooting 5 fps for every shot became the norm!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,707 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012
Post edited over 1 year ago by EverydayGetaway.

Aug 19, 2018 20:48 |  #235

Wilt wrote in post #18687867 (external link)
And you still only get 1920×1080i programming on cable or satellite. The proposal for the planned additions in ATSC 3.0 is support for HD video in up to 4K resolution. Not yet adopted.

I cut cable years ago. Most of my friends have too. Maybe it's just the younger demographic (I'm 30), but I suspect cable will die out eventually. Most of what I watch is on YouTube or Amazon Video, both have lots of 4K content.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
9,498 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 19, 2018 20:53 |  #236

Wilt wrote in post #18687867 (external link)
And you still only get 1920×1080i programming on cable or satellite. The proposal for the planned additions in ATSC 3.0 is support for HD video in up to 4K resolution. Not yet adopted.

Cable and satellite is dying out as people are cutting the cord at pretty rapid rates.

Streaming is not only the future, but the present, and 4K HDR streaming is very much a reality via netflix and amazon prime even now.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀIV - α7ʀIII
Sigma 14-24 f2.8 ART - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sigma 35 f1.2 ART - Sony 35 1.8 - Sony/Zeiss 55 1.8 - Sony 85GM

Wilt
43,143 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 19, 2018 20:57 |  #237

mystik610 wrote in post #18687883 (external link)
Cable and satellite is dying out as people are cutting the cord at pretty rapid rates.

Streaming is not only the future, but the present, and 4K HDR streaming is very much a reality via netflix and amazon prime even now.

That may be true, but even 4K streaming sources fail to have much 4K programming to watch...most of what is in their libraries is 2k at best.

Mbell1975
248 posts
Joined Jul 2018
Post edited over 1 year ago by Mbell1975. (2 edits in all)

Aug 19, 2018 21:06 |  #238
bannedPermanent ban

Wilt wrote in post #18687887 (external link)
That may be true, but even 4K streaming sources fail to have much 4K programming to watch...most of what is in their libraries is 2k at best.

Not to mention that there is very little to no 4k broadcasting I am aware of. I got rid of cable awhile back and use SlingTV and YouTube TV. Zero 4k programming, none of these stations film or broadcast it. 4k is far from the standard as some might like to believe.

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,868 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 19, 2018 21:29 |  #239

Its hard to find anything but a 4K TV for sale in Australia.

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 19, 2018 21:37 |  #240
bannedPermanent ban

Bear Dale wrote in post #18687923 (external link)
Its hard to find anything but a 4K TV for sale in Australia.

Just glanced over the latest Best Buy flyer. Every TV that is larger than 32" was 4K. Seems like you really have to look hard to not get a 4K TV.

sponsored links

26,273 views & 213 likes for this thread
I've switched to Sony twice. Hated it. Now I'm thinking about doing it a third time.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.