Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 20 Aug 2018 (Monday) 07:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A I Gigapixel - new from Topaz. Opinions?

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 20, 2018 07:25 |  #1

Topaz has a new image resizer called A.I. Gigapixel.
They say it's the best thing since pickled beets.

Anybody with experience out there? Opinions?

Website (external link) |

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,380 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 6 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Aug 20, 2018 08:05 |  #2

Sounds like it still takes hours just to do one image. However the results, at least the marketing results, seem to be pretty good.

This article is an interesting read.
https://topazlabs.com/​a-i-gigapixel-story/ (external link)

Then this...
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/topaz-ai-gigapixel-review/ (external link)

I suspect where I would use this most would be to go back to my old 8 and 10Mpx images and resize them up to today's resolutions. Looks interesting for sure, thanks for sharing!

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,314 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 20, 2018 08:28 |  #3

I have been following this on other threads. Some have stated there is too much smoothing. I'm not sure about the practical application for me. I'm not printing billboards. I'd want is more cropping ability but I'm not sure I'll get crisp images like I do now pushing crops. There is a threshold and if you cross it the image starts to lose clarity.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

THREAD ­ STARTER
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited 6 months ago by Picture North Carolina.

Aug 20, 2018 11:43 |  #4

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18688203 (external link)
...at least the marketing results, seem to be pretty good.

I hear ya' But that's what I'm trying to avoid. Any image enlargement app is going to compare itself to PS and to others then proclaim themselves superior. Marketing departments may spend lots of time searching for the perfect example/image that shows their app's best side.

I'm looking for real world users. I gave up believing and even listening to marketing departments long ago. One can assume marketing people are full of crap... because they usually are. Their job description is pretty straightforward: sell the app and say/do whatever it takes to do so.

But that's not the way the real world works. Hence my desire for real world people and real world opinions.

THREAD ­ STARTER
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited 6 months ago by Picture North Carolina. (2 edits in all)

Aug 20, 2018 11:48 |  #5

digital paradise wrote in post #18688221 (external link)
I have been following this on other threads. Some have stated there is too much smoothing. I'm not sure about the practical application for me. I'm not printing billboards. I'd want is more cropping ability but I'm not sure I'll get crisp images like I do now pushing crops. There is a threshold and if you cross it the image starts to lose clarity.

If there is too much smoothing that would make sense. If an image is pixelated from too much enlarging, smoothing is the best way to reduce it.

Thanks. Something to search on.

I, too, am not looking for creating billboards. But I do have lots of good images from back in the old 20D and 30D days, and some current from the SX600 that could use some improving, which is why I'm taking a serious look at the app. Thanks.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,314 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 20, 2018 12:02 |  #6

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #18688393 (external link)
If there is too much smoothing that would make sense. If an image is pixelated from too much enlarging, smoothing is the best way to reduce it.

Thanks. Something to search on.

I, too, am not looking for creating billboards. But I do have lots of good images from back in the old 20D and 30D days, and some current from the SX600 that could use some improving, which is why I'm taking a serious look at the app. Thanks.

I'm sure there are needs and a marker for it. I need clarity. Now if I was Magnum PI oh yeah:-) I started a thread on Topaz AI Clear. More suited to what I'm looking for.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,319 posts
Gallery: 155 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 6 months ago by CyberDyneSystems. (2 edits in all)

Aug 20, 2018 12:47 |  #7

I read this, and thought based on the idea of enlarging some of my older crops to be able to print, Id give it a try.

Years ago I used Genuine Fractals or just plain old PS for enlargements.

I found the original full size output tiff image, un cropped, that was eventually cropped to make this jpeg;

IMAGE: https://jakehegnauer.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-2/p1431013414.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://jakehegnauer.z​enfolio.com/p62647257/​e554b8826  (external link)

Above is a 100% crop from an original 1D2 file, only 714x800 pixels available.
This jpeg in my gallery has undergone sharpening and levels in PS. The full size tiff that I am using is straight out of an old school (read few editing tools) RAW converter. (most likely in was RawShooters Essentials.

- 10 minutes after starting the upscale to 400%, task manager has all four cores of my PC working hard, and the app is showing a blank white page and saying "not responding" in the title bar. Screen went blank and popup message says AMD display driver was shut down and restarted. I don't know if it will finish or not, but it sure is using CPU cycles.

- I gave up after about 15 minutes, closed the app with task manager.

- 2nd try, I made a crop form the original @ 1086 x 1502 tiff.
About two minutes in, the display driver crashed and reset again. All four cores working hard again, but I am doubtful I'll see any results. App seems locked up again.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,319 posts
Gallery: 155 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 6 months ago by CyberDyneSystems. (2 edits in all)

Aug 20, 2018 13:22 |  #8

Well, 20 minutes later, no change, the app is still not responding but the CPU cores are still humming. I'll give it more time this time, but it's not looking good.

P.S. this is on my work PC, it's an old Dell 4 core AMD with AMD video on the motherboard. Not very powerful. But it was my editing workstation for a few years and it did fine.

At some point I'll try it on my actual editing workstation at home.

- EDIT giving up after 40 minutes.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

THREAD ­ STARTER
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited 6 months ago by Picture North Carolina.

Aug 20, 2018 15:19 |  #9

Jake,

Thanks for posting and taking the time to test. Please do post about experiences on your editing machine.

If it's worth anything, Topaz does make a big deal and place a lot of importance on the video capabilities of a machine. Sorry, don't have that link in front of me.

The machine I was thinking about has a nvidia 1050 which is a pretty good little card, but even that is under ideal / recommended specs and I was apprehensive about that.

I'll see if I can find the video info stuff.

Edit:

Here you go.
https://help.topazlabs​.com …-us/articles/3600128117​91 (external link)
Note that Topaz really does place importance upon and warns about long processing times depending upon video capabilities.

THREAD ­ STARTER
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 20, 2018 16:17 |  #10

Hmmm, never thought about it but if this app works as well as they say, even thumbnail-sized images you have posted in online galleries are in danger of being ripped and printed at decent sizes. Bummer.

Canonuser123
618 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Dec 2014
Post edited 6 months ago by Canonuser123 with reason 'Changed Video card info'.

Aug 20, 2018 16:17 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #11

I tried a quick test with a 1200 x 960 pixel .jpg to 400%, it took only a few minutes on my HP Z420 workstation, specs are 8 core Xeon E5-2680 CPU, 32GB Ram and an Nvidia GTX 750 graphics card.

starting image.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Crop from AI Gigapixel 400% enlargement.

HOSTED PHOTO

This was not the best test, will try something later with a sharper image to start from.

THREAD ­ STARTER
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 20, 2018 16:21 |  #12

Canonuser123 wrote in post #18688668 (external link)
Nvidia GTX 760 graphics card.

... and that 760 is a bare minimum requirement. Interesting.

Canonuser123
618 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Aug 20, 2018 16:44 |  #13

Second try with a raw file light PS sharpening 100% crop

HOSTED PHOTO

400% upsized with AI Gigapixel

HOSTED PHOTO

Canonuser123
618 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Post edited 6 months ago by Canonuser123.

Aug 20, 2018 16:50 |  #14

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #18688672 (external link)
... and that 760 is a bare minimum requirement. Interesting.

I checked again it is a GTX-750 and not a 760, if the Bitcoin miners would stop buying all the faster graphics cards I will upgrade to a 1060.

I did my second test and I am actually quite happy with the resized photo results, I would not normally resize 400% but I might do 200% with cropped images where I am lens challenged.

KeithS
261 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 20, 2018 18:12 |  #15

Well, I was intrigued, so after a couple of hours of reading specs, reviews and checking my PCs innards with their "no go" graphics card list, I downloaded the trial. I dropped in 3 different smaller photos separately. I first tried 200%. It took about 30 seconds to render. I did not see a comparative difference before and after. So, I tried 400%. About 25 seconds in, the program shut down. I repeated all photos at 250, 300 and 400%. Same result.

I sent an e-mail to Topaz support, and they promptly got back to me. My graphics card (NVIDIA Geforce GTX 745) is not sufficient. So, AI Gigapixel is one program I will not be buying. If I were a gamer, I might have been ready for the program. I am not, so I was not. Bummer, the potential was there.

sponsored links

6,735 views & 2 likes for this thread
A I Gigapixel - new from Topaz. Opinions?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.