Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 21 Aug 2018 (Tuesday) 10:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Grid on softbox or beautydish never used outdoor ?

CanonYouCan
Goldmember
1,489 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by CanonYouCan.

Aug 21, 2018 10:22 |  #1

Tomorrow i'm going to do a test shooting at the beach with my Godox AD600 strobe and a 60cm (24") collapsible silver beautydish, hss & f1.4 lens, I see often this combination on youtube.
A grid was in the package, but I have never seen an outdoor modelshoot with grid attached on youtube tutorials, is a grid never used outdoor and why?
I know a grid is used in studio to give the light more direction.

I also have a bigger 120cm Octagon softbox + grid, but the 60cm average size seems to be better with possible wind on the beach, this would be too big :)

Sony A7 III | Metabones V | Sigma 35 1.4 Art | Sigma 85 1.4 Art | 70-200 2.8L II
Lighting : Godox AD600B TTL + Godox V860II-S + X1T-S
Modifiers: 60cm Collapsible Silver Beautydish + grid | Godox 120cm Octagon softbox + grid + Speedlite Flash bender
Tripod: Vanguard Alta 253CT carbon

sponsored links
nixland
537 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 21, 2018 18:08 |  #2

It depends on the concept of the lighting you wanna achieve.
Most tutorial never use grid because they wanna light the whole body or large area.

CanonYouCan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,489 posts
Joined Oct 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by CanonYouCan. (3 edits in all)

Aug 22, 2018 04:45 |  #3

Thanks for the tip, i'll leave the grid at home as the rocks,etc ... need to be illumated too :)

I'm doubting to bring my 70-200 2.8LII lens or shoot only with the 50 1.4 Art & 85 1.4 Art.
Not because the zoom is heavy, but I doubt the bokeh advantage on the 200 at 2.8 vs 85 @ f1.4

And on the beach not everything is shot @ f1.4, mostly closeup portraits.
Shots with the sea + sky in the background only are not distracting to make an f1.4 bokeh, this can be shot at f8 for example for a sharper, more high definition look.

Matt Granger seems to prefer the 85mm
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=PNenHCDaLMI (external link)

Sony A7 III | Metabones V | Sigma 35 1.4 Art | Sigma 85 1.4 Art | 70-200 2.8L II
Lighting : Godox AD600B TTL + Godox V860II-S + X1T-S
Modifiers: 60cm Collapsible Silver Beautydish + grid | Godox 120cm Octagon softbox + grid + Speedlite Flash bender
Tripod: Vanguard Alta 253CT carbon

ImageMaker...
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
1,474 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Dec 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by ImageMaker....

Aug 22, 2018 16:57 |  #4

A bit late.. my beach shots beauty dish and no grid. Takes too much light away from the shot outdoors for my taste.

My goto modifier for almost all my outdoor work is Elinchroms “Fire Ball” Maxi Light. Really can toss a lot of light a long way if needed. I’ve got grids for it too also don’t care for it much outdoors.

I do have a white and black grids for the beauty dish and black grid for the FireBall. Used A few times outdoors but depends on the design of the shoot.

Here’s a shot using 6 gridded strobes outside a while ago, around 5:00am.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from ImageMaker...'s gallery.

BTS

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from ImageMaker...'s gallery.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Broncolor Paras, Billinghams

sincity
202 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Aug 22, 2018 19:26 as a reply to  @ ImageMaker...'s post |  #5

Where is #6?? I see two backlights, one FB, one square, and one BD..

ImageMaker...
1,474 posts
Joined Dec 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by ImageMaker.... (2 edits in all)

Aug 22, 2018 20:32 |  #6

sincity wrote in post #18690520 (external link)
Where is #6?? I see two backlights, one FB, one square, and one BD..

Was breaking the scene down. Almost forgot to take a BTS pic. Apparently, it’s in its case already. A wound up power cord & empty stand not folded up is there though...

They were all powered by a couple Paul C Buff VLX battery/inverters

NDAPhoto
349 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by NDAPhoto. (5 edits in all)

Aug 22, 2018 22:22 |  #7

CanonYouCan wrote in post #18689280 (external link)
A grid was in the package, but I have never seen an outdoor modelshoot with grid attached on youtube tutorials, is a grid never used outdoor and why?
I know a grid is used in studio to give the light more direction.

A grid is primarily used to avoid light spill where you don’t want it. So giving “light more direction” is not the correct term or goal. You may be confusing the wording with directional lighting.

Indoors you often want light from a beauty dish on the subject’s face, but not to spill onto a nearby wall or background. Therefore, you use a grid to reduce the spill. In contrast, outdoors there is usually no wall or background to catch spill. Maybe if you’re intentionally shooting against a wall or under a pier, then you might consider a grid. But it is more likely that controlling the distance and output of the strobe would apply.

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,248 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Aug 25, 2018 22:02 |  #8

I'm not sure it is wrong to say that it gives the light more direction.

A grid is essentially blocking much of the light which isn't going in a forward direction. The effect is, indeed, to keep light from spilling where you don't want it and this is accomplished by blocking light which is going in the direction of the area where you don't want the light, to the side. :)

I would feel comfortable hearing or saying it either way. I think they are both correct.

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

NDAPhoto
349 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by NDAPhoto. (7 edits in all)

Aug 25, 2018 23:38 as a reply to  @ F2Bthere's post |  #9

Grids limit the direction of light. That is all they do. Saying they give light more direction is exactly the opposite. When you talk lighting, the words are important. Writing about it is even harder. It was not meant as a criticism of the OP. Misconceptions about light are often why modifiers are misused and when photographers get stuck.

If the discussion was about a parabolic reflector, then it would be proper to say it gives the light more direction. Describing the use of a parabolic reflector and eggcrate grid with the same words is obviously a disservice.

ImageMaker...
1,474 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Aug 26, 2018 00:50 |  #10

NDAPhoto wrote in post #18692787 (external link)
Grids limit the direction of light. That is all they do. Saying they give light more direction is exactly the opposite. When you talk lighting, the words are important. Writing about it is even harder. It was not meant as a criticism of the OP. Misconceptions about light are often why modifiers are misused and when photographers get stuck.

If the discussion was about a parabolic reflector, then it would be proper to say it gives the light more direction. Describing the use of a parabolic reflector and eggcrate grid with the same words is obviously a disservice.

Then we have fresnels...

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,923 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Aug 26, 2018 01:45 |  #11

Parabolic umbrellas/modifiers colliminate light to a certain extent, but are no means even close to perfect.

Neither are grids.

Neither are fresnel lenses.

None are equal, but all attempt to do the same thing but through different methods.

https://en.m.wikipedia​.org/wiki/Collimated_l​ight (external link)

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

NDAPhoto
349 posts
Joined Jul 2015

Aug 26, 2018 17:51 |  #12

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18692826 (external link)
Parabolic umbrellas/modifiers colliminate light to a certain extent, but are no means even close to perfect.

Neither are grids.

Neither are fresnel lenses.

None are equal, but all attempt to do the same thing but through different methods.

https://en.m.wikipedia​.org/wiki/Collimated_l​ight (external link)

Too many things wrong with this post including a totally unrelated change of subject that has nothing to do with OP's question.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,923 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 26, 2018 18:08 |  #13

NDAPhoto wrote in post #18693550 (external link)
Too many things wrong with this post including a totally unrelated change of subject that has nothing to do with OP's question.

Here's another link you might want to read.

https://en.m.wikipedia​.org/wiki/Conversation (external link)

Study it out.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links

2,775 views & 4 likes for this thread
Grid on softbox or beautydish never used outdoor ?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.