Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
Thread started 16 Aug 2018 (Thursday) 08:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Achieving Sharp results w/ 1.4x extender?

bpalermini
Goldmember
1,383 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 22, 2018 14:12 |  #16

I think that combo should do better than what you are getting. Shooting wide open at close range provides minimal depth of field. It also takes a lot of shots of hummingbirds to get one keeper, at least for me it does but is sure fun trying to get them.

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Huntington-Gardens/i-MC7ZrxW/0/0258c44a/XL/BPD41418-XL.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com …/BPD41418-XL.jpg&lb=1&s=A  (external link)

Bob Palermini
1DX, 5DIV, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 100-400L II, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

sponsored links
Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,482 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 22, 2018 16:06 |  #17

jdnan wrote in post #18690199 (external link)
Here is an example of my 300 w/ the 1.4x, III. I'm actually getting better results than I've ever achieved when attempting to use the extender in the past. I haven't changed anything so I don't really know why other than I know exactly where the hummingbird is going and I can limit the focus range of the lens to 2.4-6m. When I've attempted to use the extender in the past, it has been with large birds like owls, etc. at much longer distances. Of course there is a noticeable fall off in sharpness from straight out of the 300 w/ no extender. These images are of course heavily cropped with some basic adjustments (highlights, shadows, clarity) in Capture One pro.

Evaluating how well the setup works at ISO 12800 is a bit of a strain for getting a baseline, even on a 1Dx II. It looks like you're actually recording good detail but losing it to such a high ISO. Your ISO 5000 shot looks like a much better result, at that small of a photo anyway.

Shots of a static subject, from a tripod, manually focused at 10x in Live View should give you your "best case" scenario as a 'before' step to gauge any other changes from. Then, a couple of the same shot in AF One Shot to see if it's hitting at the same spot or whether it's front/back focusing.

If you're getting consistent front or back focus, MFA the combo on that body; then retest.

Once you're getting acceptable results there, it's time to work on exposure settings and/or technique.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,820 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 1 year ago by CyberDyneSystems. (2 edits in all)

Aug 22, 2018 16:30 |  #18

The good news is that you absolutely should be able to get great results from the 300mm f/2.8L IS with a 1.4X T-Con. Add in the 1Dx2 as the body, and you should be golden!

So we need to figure out where the problem lies.

- Tripod tests: those recommending this are spot on.
Do some with a static subject, in good light at ISO settings around 100-400.
Shoot things with high contrast and sharp detail for your best chance to see how sharp things are.

- MFA or Micro Focus Adjust; This is the next step. Still on a VERY solid tripod.
The "test target" is important. Don't try to focus on anything that is at an angle to the lens. Only the "ruler" should be at an angle, not the target.

Like so;
http://www.squit.co.uk​/photo/focuschart.html (external link)

Also, check out this video for how to make the MFA;
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=7zE50jCUPhM (external link)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,820 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 22, 2018 16:35 |  #19

Lastly, we assume with your listed gear, that you have been achieving good results with the same before you added the 1.4x. Let us know if this is the case.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

jdnan
THREAD ­ STARTER
450 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 22, 2018 21:44 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #20

thanks for the great info. it's quite clear that I need to do the static shots on a tripod in the proper environment and perform the proper MFA. I'm going to be reviewing all the great info provided by Jake, Frank and others & do the work to get some useful data to accurately assess the lens/extender with my camera bodies. One of the POTN members who lives close by has graciously offered to help me with this effort I am thrilled with this kind offer. There are some great folks on this forum and I hope I'll be able to return the favor for others some day.

As far as achieving sharp results without the extender, I guess I would have to say I'm not 100% satisfied with those results either. I seem to get more consistently sharp results from my Tamron lens, but of course I'm almost always using that lens in excellent light. I'll know more after I do the proper MFA work.

Jerry
Gear
Feedback
editing OK

EyeSpyEagle
Goldmember
1,713 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Sep 2014

Aug 24, 2018 10:22 as a reply to  @ jdnan's post |  #21

It was nice meeting you last night Jerry.

I believe we made some headway on getting your gear dialed in. Too bad the birds were all gone by the time we finished. Lol.

I'm confident that with the lens tweaks, proper case selection (& tweaks), and proper exposure, you'll see measurable improvements in IQ.

I'll be eager to hear how things work out now.

PhilM
Nikon fledgling....

jdnan
THREAD ­ STARTER
450 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 24, 2018 13:01 as a reply to  @ EyeSpyEagle's post |  #22

thanks, again, Phil, I learned a lot! I'll be testing it out this evening & tomorrow morning

Jerry
Gear
Feedback
editing OK

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,859 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 24, 2018 22:03 |  #23

Not the greatest example, but this is what I am getting with my 1.4x TC. However this isn't with a Canon TC.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,214 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 25, 2018 00:29 |  #24

After MFA, I’ve used my 300 2.8 IS with a Tamron SP 1.4x and it’s almost indistinguishable from the bare lens. The Canon 2x III I have takes a bit of a hit in AF speed and IQ, but it’s still very good. My experience is with the 5D3 and 7D2, so the 1Dx’s should be capable of at least as good as what I’m getting. I don’t shoot birds though, just sports.

GEAR LIST

PhotosGuy
75,853 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 25, 2018 08:24 |  #25

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18692095 (external link)
Not the greatest example, but this is what I am getting with my 1.4x TC. However this isn't with a Canon TC.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by TeamSpeed in
./showthread.php?p=186​92095&i=i211533803
forum: Bird Talk

That looks like a crop? And at f/4.5, too! It looks pretty good to me!

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

J ­ R ­ Mohan
320 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Joined May 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by J R Mohan.

Aug 25, 2018 09:24 |  #26

Extender 1.4 x III is said to have been made for E F 300 F/2.8 L II lens. I am using this combination with my 5 D Mark III for wildlife photography with very good results but that doesn't include BIF. With 5 D Mark IV it should give very good results but you must first configure your camera also for fast action shots.

I attach an image of a tiger cub sprinting to cross the jungle road . Sharpness acceptable.

HOSTED PHOTO

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,859 posts
Joined May 2002

Aug 25, 2018 20:16 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #27

It's my old kenko 1.4x, been wanting a Canon but not sure if its worth spending that much. I have the Canon 2xiii though.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

chrisa
Goldmember
1,041 posts
Gallery: 107 photos
Joined May 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by chrisa.

Sep 15, 2018 10:22 |  #28

I think the OP should lower his ISO and not try to freeze the Hummingbirds wings.
Taken with a Canon 300 f/4 with 1.4 tx. just noticed the first pic does not have the extender.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

chrisa
Goldmember
1,041 posts
Gallery: 107 photos
Joined May 2005

Sep 15, 2018 10:25 |  #29

This does

HOSTED PHOTO

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,859 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed. (3 edits in all)

Sep 15, 2018 15:26 |  #30

These were with the 2x III on the 70-200 II on the 5D4, cropped a bit.

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Carroll-Events/CHS-Football-and-Marching-Band-Sept-14/i-tBFMdX4/0/9eb63c73/X3/FX8A1625-X3.jpg

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Carroll-Events/CHS-Football-and-Marching-Band-Sept-14/i-pHmCpWG/0/213c393b/X3/FX8A1627-X3.jpg

These were with the Kenko 1.4x on the same gear, but at high ISO no longer under dusk lighting...

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Carroll-Events/CHS-Football-and-Marching-Band-Sept-14/i-5vKMrdj/0/9bed4380/X3/FX8A1764-X3.jpg

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Carroll-Events/CHS-Football-and-Marching-Band-Sept-14/i-csDGj9T/0/91faeb1d/X3/FX8A1739-X3.jpg

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Carroll-Events/CHS-Football-and-Marching-Band-Sept-14/i-mZvvHq6/0/1df663d8/X3/FX8A1722-X3.jpg

sponsored links

13,755 views & 22 likes for this thread
Achieving Sharp results w/ 1.4x extender?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.