Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 12 Aug 2018 (Sunday) 14:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Timbavati Private Reserve - 8 days 7 nights

i-G12
THREAD ­ STARTER
Wat?
1,820 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 23, 2018 13:29 |  #46

During our game drive early one morning things were kind of slow. We stop at the edge of the river just to look around and came upon a lone hippo in the water. We watched it for about 1/2 an hour and finally he gave us a little show. Pretty awesome.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
i-G12
THREAD ­ STARTER
Wat?
1,820 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 23, 2018 13:34 |  #47

Later that day we checked out a hyena den but found there was nothing going on. Later we went back to find mamma and some of the young ones walking around outside the den. Pretty much a treat to see such little hyenas. And, of course, mamma was watching us pretty intently. Very protective of the little ones.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

i-G12
THREAD ­ STARTER
Wat?
1,820 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 25, 2018 11:39 |  #48

More stories about our safari and about elephants when we were at the Simbavati River Lodge.

Moving to Simbavati of course we were introduced to a new guide and a new tracker. Yeah, we were spoied at Kambaku and we ended up with a lady guide who was quite young and fairly inexperienced. She did a pretty good job but nothing like our Kambaku crew. In fact when we went on our first game drive with our new guide she commented that we all had "long/big lenses". She told us she hand't really guided a bunch of serious photographers so it was a constant battle with our trip leader having to direct her to position the vehicle differently to take advantage of sun angles etc. We got through it though and did get some great shots.

Back to elephants. While were out the radio was crackling all the time and we were told that there had been a sighting of a large rogue bull elephant named "Classic". Our guide told us that we were going to stay clear of him as he did have a propensity to charge safari vehicles at times. Of course I urged her to find Classic ( :lol: ) so we could get some great photos of the big fellow. She wasn't having any of it. This was a little surprising since she had on a couple of occasions used what IMO was pretty bad judgement chasing herds of elephants into the bush and as I mentioned somewhere even got way too close to where a medium size female actual made contact with our tracker on the front of the vehicle. Scary and exciting all at the same time. So in the end we never laid our eyes on Classic which was a shame.

Here are a few of more images of elephants and they were all so interesting to watch...The first is mamma with baby...The second a group of young elephants playing around with mamma watching closely...

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

i-G12
THREAD ­ STARTER
Wat?
1,820 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 25, 2018 11:43 |  #49

We came across a small herd which had a few young bulls in the herd. They were getting rather aggressive with each other and it was so interesting watching them trying to show each other who was dominate. We must have watched them for 1/2 and hour and saw quite a few tussles nothing really amounting to anything other than so show who was the toughest...

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

i-G12
THREAD ­ STARTER
Wat?
1,820 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 25, 2018 11:47 |  #50

Just two more and then we'll move on to something a little more exciting and interesting...

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,029 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 1 year ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Aug 25, 2018 12:43 |  #51

Fantastic elephant shots! It can be hard to come across activity that is different from "big elephants standing around" which is a marvel to behold in itself to be sure, but doesn't necessarily make for the most compelling photos,.. yours are special moments!

(f.y.i. a few days being under the weather, and your thread, has given me time and motivation to finally really start uploading images from last year. Shortly I will be boring you with lots of Elephants standing around images. :) )

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

i-G12
THREAD ­ STARTER
Wat?
1,820 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by i-G12. (2 edits in all)

Aug 25, 2018 14:36 |  #52

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18692433 (external link)
Fantastic elephant shots! It can be hard to come across activity that is different from "big elephants standing around" which is a marvel to behold in itself to be sure, but doesn't necessarily make for the most compelling photos,.. yours are special moments!

Thanks for the kind words. Actually, I’m just a guy trying to get better at these far and in between opportunities in Africa. I am getting better but there is much more to learn and lots of mistakes made. As you know Jake when you’re there and in the heat of the battle it is so hard to focus and get certain things right, i.e. exposure, composition and trying to get that special shot. Lots of times you blow it because of the adrenaline rush.

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18692433 (external link)
(f.y.i. a few days being under the weather, and your thread, has given me time and motivation to finally really start uploading images from last year. Shortly I will be boring you with lots of Elephants standing around images. :) )

Have I really been waiting a year to see your images from your trip to Africa? Can’t wait.

TheFloridaShooter
713 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 25, 2018 23:15 as a reply to  @ post 18690740 |  #53

I also had Ryno and Moses

HOSTED PHOTO

1Dx MKII | 1Dx | 5D MKIV | 5D MKIII | 5Ds r | 5Ds | 7D MKII | 7D | G16 | G3x | EOS M & M3 | 800 f5.6 | 600 f4 | 400 f2.8 | 300 f2.8 | 200-400 f4 | 100-400 f4.5 - 5.6 II x 2 | 70-200 f2.8 | 14 f2.8 II | 50 f1.2 | 50 1.4 | 85 f1.2 | 135 f2 | 24-70 f2.8 II | 11-24 f4 | 35 f1.4 II | Pentax 645Z | SMC Pentax-DA 645 25mm F4 AL | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL | Pentax 90mm f/2.8 D FA 645 Macro ED AW SR | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 200mm f/4 IF | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 300mm f/4 ED IF | SMC FA 645 400mm f/5.6 ED IF Lens

i-G12
THREAD ­ STARTER
Wat?
1,820 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 26, 2018 11:49 |  #54

It was hard to decide which of the sightings was most exciting. For me the leopards were the star of this trip! Though the Wild Dog and Hyena sequence was rare and amazing I fell in love with the leopards.

Following is a series of images taken over a three day period. The star of the show is a 13 year old female leopard named "Mtemba". She is well known around Timbavati and we were so lucky to witness these events.

First off our guide was alerted to something good happening ... again our guide was not giving away the upcoming event and we drove about 45 minutes North from Kambaku which put us close to the Sambavati River Lodge which was our next lodge destination. The various camps have an agreement that when entering another's area that permission be granted even though all the property is on the Timbavati Reserve. Guess it's just common courtesy.

Finally wee arrived to see that Mtemba had made a fresh kill of an Impala. Not sure how long it had been since the actually kill but probably about 2-3 hours. We first spotted her in the brush overlooking the Impala and she had already eaten some. She appears then to get lazy and laid down close to the Impala guarding it against other predators.

Speculation was that she would take the Impala into a tree soon as Hyenas and some vultures would surely be attracted. After she left the Impala a short distance away and was resting she was constantly watching up in the sky as there were some vultures circling...

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

i-G12
THREAD ­ STARTER
Wat?
1,820 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 26, 2018 11:55 |  #55

Later that evening...

After a day of game viewing we went back to the area where we had observed Mtemba earlier in the day. It was getting late but still we found her and she was actually eating. We couldn't have been more than 30-40 yards away from here as she fed but she paid no attention to us at all. I have some video of her feeding but it was dark and the quality isn't the best but nevertheless it was captured on film. Amazing!

Here are two images of her when we returned that evening...

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

i-G12
THREAD ­ STARTER
Wat?
1,820 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 26, 2018 12:11 |  #56

Two days later...

After transferring to the Simbavati River lodge we were again altered to something amazing happening close by. So we went and found Myemba again! :eek:

She had dragged her Impala up into a tree and when we arrived she was still on the ground. Close by was a lone Hyena watching the prey in the tree hoping for a free meal. I wan't able to get a shot of the Hyena because I was too busy watching Mtemba and looking for some great action.

We found her perched on some fallen branches and was looking up when she finally made her leap...In my other trips to Africa we were never lucky enough to see a leopard in the tree. That she had a kill was a bonus:

Finally she decided to go up into the tree. Ugh. I was fiddlling around with my camera settings and actually wasn't prepare for her leap into the tree. I got off a few shots but the composition wasn't the best. I did get a shot of her jumping into the tree but unfortunately kinda cut off the back end of her --- so you chalk that up to "TIA" (This is Africa).

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

i-G12
THREAD ­ STARTER
Wat?
1,820 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 26, 2018 12:13 |  #57

And finally once she was up in the tree she began to feed again. It's was mesmerizing and worth the travel and the waiting to see such an event.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

i-G12
THREAD ­ STARTER
Wat?
1,820 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 26, 2018 12:14 |  #58

Last one...

HOSTED PHOTO

i-G12
THREAD ­ STARTER
Wat?
1,820 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 27, 2018 08:38 |  #59

Well we've come to the end of my little story. Think I'll leave it at that. Thanks for looking.

This trip to Africa and Timbavati was really magical for me and my wife. We're so looking forward to returning to Africa in a few years. For those that have been there you know what I am talking about. For those who are always talking about going I'd suggest you move Africa to the top of your bucket list and do it as soon as you can. You won't be disappointed!

HOSTED PHOTO

Lt ­ Colonel
697 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Aug 27, 2018 08:40 |  #60

i-G12 wrote in post #18693983 (external link)
Well we've come to the end of my little story. Think I'll leave it at that. Thanks for looking.

This trip to Africa and Timbavati was really magical for me and my wife. We're so looking forward to returning to Africa in a few years. For those that have been there you know what I am talking about. For those who are always talking about going I'd suggest you move Africa to the top of your bucket list and do it as soon as you can. You won't be disappointed!

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by i-G12 in
./showthread.php?p=186​93983&i=i209549446
forum: Wildlife

Thanks for sharing.

5DIII, 6D, 7D2, 5DMKIV,1DMK4,EOS-M,1DX
https://woodawg.smugmu​g.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

5,996 views & 183 likes for this thread
Timbavati Private Reserve - 8 days 7 nights
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.