Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 18 Aug 2018 (Saturday) 20:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need help on buying a softbox.....

ShutterKlick
374 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Oct 2017

Aug 19, 2018 16:13 |  #16

Some $12 shoot though umbrellas and $12 light stands would get you going with portrait strobes, but yes.. I am the extreme budget photographer on the forum.

"Camera & lens rich, Cash poor"

sponsored links
reefvilla
THREAD ­ STARTER
995 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined May 2010

Aug 19, 2018 16:49 |  #17

Lol... I need to be. I seem to either be all in or nothing. Then after the new wears off, I have a lot of stuff to sell that I dont use. ߘ

Canon 6D Mark2 : Canon 16-35mm f4 IS : Canon 24-70mm f2.8 ii : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS ii

ShutterKlick
374 posts
Joined Oct 2017

Aug 19, 2018 17:28 |  #18

Ive shot quite a bit with a budget Godox softbox with the Bownes mount and like it a lot!

The camera doesnt know if you spent a tonn of money on your gear or were a tightwad.. 5500k is 5500k.

https://www.amazon.com …T=_SY300_QL70_&​dpSrc=srch (external link)

https://www.amazon.com …t+stand+photogr​aphy&psc=1 (external link)

I like my soft boxes, but I also like the wrap around light a shoot though gives me too..

GL,
Andrew

reefvilla
THREAD ­ STARTER
995 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 19, 2018 17:33 as a reply to  @ ShutterKlick's post |  #19

Are you kidding me... those prices!!!! Sold

Thanks for the links.
That's what I dont understand only because I've never does this.... differences, shoot through/softbox

Canon 6D Mark2 : Canon 16-35mm f4 IS : Canon 24-70mm f2.8 ii : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS ii

ShutterKlick
374 posts
Joined Oct 2017
Post edited 6 months ago by ShutterKlick.

Aug 19, 2018 17:48 as a reply to  @ reefvilla's post |  #20

Relax... Attend some sessions on Youtube University, then play with your gear.. over and over and over. You will be frustrated at first, but it will all come together!

Heres some shoot though umbrellas.. that Bowens mount for speed lights I linked, will work with these too! It has the "socket" for the umbrella rod to go into...

I shoot all Godox speedlights and the Pro controller, if your shooting Canon, Nikon or Sony.. they make controllers for your camera. The strobes
are "universal".

heres the pro controller: (Nikon shown, you can also search for Canon, etc..)
https://www.amazon.com …ds=godox+contro​ller&psc=1 (external link)

And some good speedlights to get started: (I have 3 of these)

I have one of these, for HSS:
https://www.amazon.com …rds=godox+speed​light++685 (external link)

Amazon has some decent Lion AA batteries, I keep spares charged when I go out, and I like the Nitecore charger:
https://www.amazon.com …s=nightcore+cha​rger&psc=1 (external link)

https://www.amazon.com …_SY300_QL70_&dp​Src=detail (external link)

Going to get 1 or 2 of these, EBL makes pretty good stuff, Ive used some before:
https://www.amazon.com …8-19&keywords=ebl+charge​r (external link)

GL,
Andrew

Pigpen101
869 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2017

Aug 19, 2018 17:53 |  #21

reefvilla wrote in post #18687704 (external link)
Are you kidding me... those prices!!!! Sold

Thanks for the links.
That's what I dont understand only because I've never does this.... differences, shoot through/softbox

I own Wescott, Godox, & Neewer Octo boxes. Wescott is a little better quality, but literally 4x the price.

ShutterKlick
374 posts
Joined Oct 2017

Aug 19, 2018 18:37 |  #22

I should caution, do *NOT* buy the Godox remote slave triggers.. Just buy the Godox flash with the built in trigger.
I had a few really nice strobes, that refused to work with the slave triggers, however the Godox speedlights with built in trigger, a joy to use and 100% reliable!

Andrew

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,255 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 6 months ago by Left Handed Brisket. (2 edits in all)

Aug 19, 2018 18:37 |  #23

So you're starting to see why a convirtible umbrella is a good starting point. So many options it gets wacky.

You can put two lights in one large softbox, but most people want another light in a different location and doing that will open up so many more options than being stuck with both lights in one box trying to fill 47 inches.

If you buy brand x now, will the color temp of brand y that you want later be the same or will it cause weird effects?

There are so many variables, the reason the strobist blog suggests something simple is so you can learn lighting before learniing gear. Once you have the lighting know how, then dive into gear.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

reefvilla
THREAD ­ STARTER
995 posts
Joined May 2010
Post edited 6 months ago by reefvilla.

Aug 19, 2018 19:49 |  #24

Yes, there is a lot to learn but I appreciate all the help and pointers

inkista
606 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited 6 months ago by inkista.

Aug 19, 2018 20:18 |  #25

reefvilla wrote in post #18687704 (external link)
Are you kidding me... those prices!!!! ...

You should see what the Godox flashes and triggers cost vs. the Canon -RT gear. Or maybe not... :D

V860II-C (external link) : $180
TT685-C (external link): $110

X1T-C (external link): $45
XPro-C (external link): $70

And then there are the bigger lights (external link) in the system... (external link)

Many of us have drunk the Godox kool-aid. But. Completely different triggering system from the Canon RT one. Feature-wise it differs, and there's no manufacturer warranty repair or customer support (hence the low-low prices). And the Godox gear isn't as nice on-camera. But off-camera, particularly if you shoot more than one camera system or want to mix speedlights with larger lights, there are definite advantages.

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

Ah-keong
940 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Apr 2016

Aug 19, 2018 22:29 |  #26

I was looking earlier at the Westcott Rapid Box Duo(32") and Octa(26")
and recently think there is a new Rapid Box Switch which is modular.

:p

Canon 7D2+grip | 18-35mm ART | EF-S 10-18mm | EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II | ZE 2/100mm | ZE 2/35mm | ZE 1,4/85mm | CV 3,5/20mm | Nikkor 60mm f/2,8D |
Olympus E-PL3 | 7-14mm f/2,8 |
Speedlite 430EX III-RT | 600EX-RT | YN 600EX-RT |
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |

soeren
Whoops Im not updated
521 posts
Joined Nov 2017

Aug 19, 2018 23:42 |  #27

ShutterKlick wrote in post #18687749 (external link)
I should caution, do *NOT* buy the Godox remote slave triggers.. Just buy the Godox flash with the built in trigger.
I had a few really nice strobes, that refused to work with the slave triggers, however the Godox speedlights with built in trigger, a joy to use and 100% reliable!

Andrew

What strobes was that? Other rhan an update issue I've had no problems triggering my speedlights and AD360 from either the X1-s or X-pro F triggers.
Of course going all godox eliminates those problems

If history has proven anything. it's that evolution always wins!!

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Aug 25, 2018 21:52 |  #28

Much good advice above.

A few additional thoughts:

Shape influences the catch light in the eyes. A round-ish shape like an octabox gives you a round shape more like the sun or a round lamp. A square or rectangle gives you a shape more like a window. Neither is better. Some have a strong preference.

If you get a four sided box, I recommend considering a rectangle where the sides are not the same size. This gives you two different edge sizes you can play with.

Umbrellas are cheap, quick and easy. You are more likely to get acceptable results because they throw light everywhere. Their downside is the same: they throw light everywhere. This means little control and less ability to shape the light.

A grid restricts the light, giving you even more control.

I suggest you make yourself a v-flat as soon as possible. Google will reveal instructions. A v-flat is a very versatile tool which gives you loads of options. It can be a reflector, a blocker or a guider of the light. You can even use a v-flat to create a large soft source without a softbox and you can shape how the light bounces. An extremely versatile tool. And a v-flat with a softbox is enough to create a huge range of looks.

All the studio images are created with a softbox and a v-flat:

https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

In my case, the softbox is virtually always octagonal, but a rectangle would have been fine, too.

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).

reefvilla
THREAD ­ STARTER
995 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 25, 2018 21:58 |  #29

Man, I can see where a V flat would come in very handy for studio work! Thanks for the info!!!

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Aug 25, 2018 22:17 |  #30

reefvilla wrote in post #18692746 (external link)
Man, I can see where a V flat would come in very handy for studio work! Thanks for the info!!!

Yes.

A portable v-flat is more of a challenge and requires a compromise one way or the other. I have not figured out a solution which is convenient, easy to transport and inexpensive.

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).

sponsored links

5,814 views & 6 likes for this thread
Need help on buying a softbox.....
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.