Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 25 Aug 2018 (Saturday) 09:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6D/24A vs G7X2, Surprise!

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,769 posts
Gallery: 177 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 1 year ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Aug 26, 2018 19:56 |  #16

My take, the 6D image is far better.

Look over near the lamp, and see all that muddling going on in the wall coloring.
The "P&S" is always going to overcook stuff if left to it's own devices (in many cases with no option to remove "it's own devices"
Your images show this. The oak cabinet doors look punchy, over-saturated and sharp in the G7 shot, but not in a good way.
It's not "lens sharp" it's software sharpening.
There is a depth of subtle color that the 6D image is offering that the G7 has mechanized and made harsh.

Just MHO.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,347 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 26, 2018 20:08 as a reply to  @ post 18692641 |  #17

It's Four Weddings and a Funeral, not Two Funeral and a Marching Band

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,769 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 1 year ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Aug 26, 2018 20:47 |  #18

Bassat wrote in post #18692325 (external link)
.... The G7 has much deeper DOF at these settings. To my eye (yes, only one!), the deeper DOF of the G7 shot more than makes up for the slight bit of noise visible up to about 8"x10". The OOF blur of the 6D/24A is more annoying than the noise of the 6D.

Anyone want to buy a 24A?

Yes, of course, the smaller sensor means any same settings of f/stop is going to have more DOF than on the larger sensor.
MORE D.O.F. is never a problem it's getting less DOF, more subject isolation, that costs money, glass and weight. (or changing distances which is usually free.)

So your preference for more DOF is easily remedied by stopping down the 24A to offer similar DOF that you have on the smaller sensored G7. Whereas you can't do the opposite with the G7 to get better subject isolation.

Most people get a 1.8 24mm looking for MORE out of focus blur. So yeah, maybe you should sell the 24A

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Bassat
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Aug 26, 2018 21:31 |  #19

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18693540 (external link)
I know what the G7X2 is, and I am very familiar with the Canon 6D ........ but what is a 24A ?

I don't believe I've ever heard of such a thing. I Googled it and didn't get any pertinent results.

Please clarify.

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18693615 (external link)
The first thing I thought of when I saw it was the Sigma 24 Art.

Yes, Sigma 24mms f/1.4 Art.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,599 posts
Gallery: 155 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 26, 2018 23:15 as a reply to  @ Bassat's post |  #20

Thank you.

I didn't even know that there was such a thing, and therefore had no way of knowing what you were talking about.

I wonder why abbreviations and shortcuts are all the rage these days. Is it really that hard to type a few more letters into one's post, to ensure that all who read it will understand it?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,255 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 27, 2018 00:21 |  #21

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18693752 (external link)
Thank you.

I didn't even know that there was such a thing, and therefore had no way of knowing what you were talking about.

I wonder why abbreviations and shortcuts are all the rage these days. Is it really that hard to type a few more letters into one's post, to ensure that all who read it will understand it?

My thought is that it probably has to do with many of us getting used to texting and/or those of us who browse the forum mostly on mobile devices which aren’t so easy to type long responses on. The texting abbreviations took off back when we paid per message and could only use a certain number of characters in a text, so abbreviations let us get more for our money, and we’re much easier to type out on the old T9 system of 0-9 phone buttons. Now that we have progressed to full keyboards and browsers on our smartphones, they’ve just stayed around even though they’re not really needed.

If you’d like to see a place where abbreviations are rampant and really difficult to understand, come work in healthcare. :-D

As to the topic at hand, overall the images both look pretty nice (without pixel peeping). I’m sure the output quality of the P&S would be more than adequate for most people’s use, and even acceptable as a small sized alternative for many enthusiasts who don’t want to carry around a bunch of equipment.

GEAR LIST

Bassat
THREAD ­ STARTER
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Aug 27, 2018 01:36 |  #22

Lyndön wrote in post #18693773 (external link)
My thought is that it probably has to do with many of us getting used to texting and/or those of us who browse the forum mostly on mobile devices which aren’t so easy to type long responses on. The texting abbreviations took off back when we paid per message and could only use a certain number of characters in a text, so abbreviations let us get more for our money, and we’re much easier to type out on the old T9 system of 0-9 phone buttons. Now that we have progressed to full keyboards and browsers on our smartphones, they’ve just stayed around even though they’re not really needed.

If you’d like to see a place where abbreviations are rampant and really difficult to understand, come work in healthcare. :-D

As to the topic at hand, overall the images both look pretty nice (without pixel peeping). I’m sure the output quality of the P&S would be more than adequate for most people’s use, and even acceptable as a small sized alternative for many enthusiasts who don’t want to carry around a bunch of equipment.

Exactly! For me, the size/IQ compromise is well worth it.

What do you do in healthcare? I am an RN, currently working in a non-profit hospice. Great work!

speedync
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Gallery: 104 photos
Joined May 2011

Aug 27, 2018 02:24 |  #23

I'm hearing ya. I reckon my Panasonics do really nice jpegs too. They're (Panasonic's) really set up well for the jpeg shooter, with plenty of features able to be tweaked, to give you pleasing results. The in camera iDynamic settings really push the shadows quite nicely -not too far off what a reasonable raw converter can manage. My G9 has pretty impressive in camera sharpening too -much smarter than previous generations. It seems quite capable of distinguishing out of focus areas, only sharpening what's actually in focus, leaving the backgrounds & sky alone. Few shots from the first few days I had the camera, & experimenting with it. I'm really happy with its low light performance -combine in body/dual image stabilization with f/1.4-1.7 lenses that are pretty damn sharp wide open, & you can get some rather nice results. IMO.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4672/28260686009_7c3d108559_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/K4ip​n4  (external link) high maintenance (external link) by speedygz (external link), on Flickr

I can shoot 50 mm FOV at 1/5-1/6 of a second all day long, with about 100% success.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4629/28260718019_ae8bf083ea_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/K4iy​SX  (external link) high maintenance 2 (external link) by speedygz (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4613/40099231022_df44cf8406_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/246r​3m7  (external link) DuoGlide 3 (external link) by speedygz (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4698/39329823934_eca34b322e_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/22Vr​CqE  (external link) 88 (external link) by speedygz (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4609/26183705638_286f7a9f85_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/FTLk​sE  (external link) Staunch (external link) by speedygz (external link), on Flickr

PNPhotography
804 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 27, 2018 03:54 |  #24

Glad you like your G7XMKII Tom,I too love mine.For just a general overall camera it can’t be beat!

6D|7D|7DMKII|Nikon D750|Nikon 85 F1.8|Nikon D5500|G15| Gripped|300F4|35F2IS|8​5 F1.8|135L F2|200L F2.8|17-55 F2.8|70-200L F2.8 MKII|430EX|
https://www.facebook.c​om …2755174446/?ref​=bookmarks (external link)

Bassat
THREAD ­ STARTER
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Aug 27, 2018 06:18 |  #25

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18693682 (external link)
Yes, of course, the smaller sensor means any same settings of f/stop is going to have more DOF than on the larger sensor.
MORE D.O.F. is never a problem it's getting less DOF, more subject isolation, that costs money, glass and weight. (or changing distances which is usually free.)

So your preference for more DOF is easily remedied by stopping down the 24A to offer similar DOF that you have on the smaller sensored G7. Whereas you can't do the opposite with the G7 to get better subject isolation.

Most people get a 1.8 24mm looking for MORE out of focus blur. So yeah, maybe you should sell the 24A

Sort of. Most of the time. If I were only after a lot of DOF, I could use a small sensor G15/16 @ f/1.8. When I'm pushing the ISO to 3200+ because of the light, that isn't much of an answer. The G15's tiny sensor is good for ISO 400. I can use the G7X2 at 6400 w/o a problem.

Stopping down an f/1.4 lens? Really? If I'm going to shoot 24mm at f/3.5, or smaller, I've got the most excellent 24-105 STM, which includes IS. I'd be leaving the f/1.4 lens at home if I weren't planning on using f/1.4.

An f/1.4 aperture is good for letting in a lot of light, not only restricting DOF. Depends on what you're shooting. And the Sigma 24mm f/1.4 Art is back up for sale. Interested?

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,769 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 27, 2018 09:52 |  #26

Bassat wrote in post #18693921 (external link)

Stopping down an f/1.4 lens? Really? .

And yet you are selling your Art because it has too little DOF @ f/1.8 as compared to your G7?

My post was reacting to your conclusions, which I find incomprehensible, in which you seem to list the fast aperture's subject isolation as a negative in your initial post.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,597 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed.

Aug 27, 2018 09:56 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #27

It's par for the course! :)

6D, then an 80D that was good enough, then another 6D later, and now a 1" pocket camera that is almost as good as the 6D, and ditto with all the lenses.... I think Tom likes buying gear about as much as he likes shooting it (which I can appreciate, and do myself). :D

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,902 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Aug 27, 2018 12:29 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #28

time to sell the 6D, again.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Mbell1975
248 posts
Joined Jul 2018
Post edited over 1 year ago by Mbell1975.

Aug 27, 2018 15:02 |  #29
bannedPermanent ban

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18694155 (external link)
time to sell the 6D, again.

Wont have a problem as they are incredibly popular on the used market still and the best deal around IMO. I ended up with 3 recently and sold the one with the most shutter count (24k) Got $750 for it with a Vello grip within 10 hours of posting it.

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,255 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 28, 2018 02:55 |  #30

Bassat wrote in post #18693808 (external link)
Exactly! For me, the size/IQ compromise is well worth it.

What do you do in healthcare? I am an RN, currently working in a non-profit hospice. Great work!

I’m Staff/Clinical Pharmacist (PharmD) for a regional hospital system. :lol:

I understand the size/IQ compromise, my wife and I both have a M4/3 cameras. The EM1.2 is my travel camera and EM10.2 is her primary. Ive found that they’re surprisingly good, despite all of the horror stories of how M43 is terrible due of the small sensor. The EM10.2 with the 14-42EZ is point and shoot size, just a tiny bit larger in size than the G1Xmk3. I also love the portability and retro styling of that system. It reminds me a lot of the old AE-1 I learned to shoot on.

GEAR LIST

sponsored links

2,294 views & 8 likes for this thread
6D/24A vs G7X2, Surprise!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.