Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 30 Dec 2015 (Wednesday) 12:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post your best Bird Portrait

avondale87
Goldmember
2,963 posts
Gallery: 348 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 27, 2018 06:41 |  #23761

found these odd couple at beach today. Both one legged - mum and young one. Well so I thought
One legged mum completely off ground.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Followed them around and suddenly they decided 2 legs were better, but still each hopped on one. Weird to see

HOSTED PHOTO

Richard

sponsored links
avondale87
Goldmember
2,963 posts
Gallery: 348 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 27, 2018 06:44 |  #23762

mum Seagull and young having a tender moment

HOSTED PHOTO

still on one leg

Richard

Pax2You
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 27, 2018 07:25 |  #23763

Pondrader wrote in post #18693669 (external link)
super... interesting that you say shot in natural light... made me stop and think for a second... everything I shoot is in natural light. This is in natural light after the sun went down tonight.

Lame-Duck wrote in post #18693730 (external link)
Beautiful shots, Pax. I really like the sharpness of the first shot.

robamy wrote in post #18693866 (external link)
Top notch work here, I prefer the natural light look with hummingbirds, well all birds actually.

MatthewK wrote in post #18693895 (external link)
These are sweet, even though you only used natural light  :p

Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement! This thread has done heaps to get me out there photographing more and trying to do better!:-) (Natural light and all)

Panasonic G9, Panaleica 100-400, Samyang 12mm F2 NCS CS, Sigma APO 2x DG EX TC, Tiffen aXent ND 3.0 (ND1000) filter, Olympus OMD E-M5, Oly 14-42mm, Oly 12-50mm, ZEQ25gt Mount, plus a few other lenses, extension tubes, and general mish-mash

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
15,763 posts
Gallery: 2438 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 27, 2018 09:16 |  #23764

Pax2You wrote in post #18693948 (external link)
Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement! This thread has done heaps to get me out there photographing more and trying to do better!:-) (Natural light and all)

Good on you Pax2you.. the fresh air will do you good. Back years ago I had a encounter with a fairly talented photog who had some stuff in magazines, He knew he had the answer's to the best photography images " Ever " He told me that If I was going to seriously shoot birds I needed to get a flash rig setup. I agreed and proceeded to shoot. those images I took have been used by quite a few online magazines and the national audubon society... So my answer is never say never and no one answer is king.

So flash if you must... we won't hold it against you lol

I just let them be what ever they are.

HOSTED PHOTO

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,643 posts
Gallery: 175 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 27, 2018 09:32 |  #23765

Pleasantly Plump

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1900/30435105198_81ef937bc0_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/NnrS​r5  (external link) Pleasantly Plump (external link) by Gene (external link), on Flickr

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,643 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited 5 months ago by navydoc.

Aug 27, 2018 10:49 |  #23766

Anna' little Costas too

I also have Costas hummers coming to my feeder.

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1844/43586451454_1901729572_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/29pz​Xuj  (external link) Anna' little Costas too (external link) by Gene (external link), on Flickr

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

ShadowHillsPhoto
533 posts
Gallery: 174 photos
Joined Aug 2015

Aug 27, 2018 11:05 |  #23767

navydoc wrote in post #18694067 (external link)
Anna' little Costas too

I also have Costas hummers coming to my feeder.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/29pz​Xuj  (external link) Anna' little Costas too (external link) by Gene (external link), on Flickr

Pretty birds! I'm seeing a bit of a halo effect on this one, as well as the first Anna's, it's particularly noticeable viewing the images at a small size (phone screen). Am I right to assume that's from dodging and/or burning the bird/backround? If that's the case then my only suggestion would be refining that edge. Nice shots!

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,643 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 27, 2018 11:28 |  #23768

ShadowHillsPhoto wrote in post #18694083 (external link)
Pretty birds! I'm seeing a bit of a halo effect on this one, as well as the first Anna's, it's particularly noticeable viewing the images at a small size (phone screen). Am I right to assume that's from dodging and/or burning the bird/backround? If that's the case then my only suggestion would be refining that edge. Nice shots!

Thanks. I believe the haloing effect you're seeing is the fringing of their head feathers.

Here's a little closer look at what I think you're seeing.

HOSTED PHOTO

ShadowHillsPhoto
533 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Aug 27, 2018 11:40 as a reply to  @ navydoc's post |  #23769

That's not it. What I'm seeing is more substantial, more of a thicker halo effect. On the first Costas above the background looks lighter along most of the left side of the bird, and on the right from about the eyeball down to where the breast sticks out. I saw the same on the first Anna's, but thought it might just be a natural part of the background, but I don't see it in the 2nd Anna's which appears to be on the same perch. Not sure what is causing it, may even be the way my phone is displaying it, it just resembles the sort of spill-over you might get from a quick dodge/burn.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,643 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 27, 2018 11:57 |  #23770

ShadowHillsPhoto wrote in post #18694107 (external link)
That's not it. What I'm seeing is more substantial, more of a thicker halo effect. On the first Costas above the background looks lighter along most of the left side of the bird, and on the right from about the eyeball down to where the breast sticks out. I saw the same on the first Anna's, but thought it might just be a natural part of the background, but I don't see it in the 2nd Anna's which appears to be on the same perch. Not sure what is causing it, may even be the way my phone is displaying it, it just resembles the sort of spill-over you might get from a quick dodge/burn.

Ah, I probably overdid a vignette to darken the background some. Thanks for pointing that out.

Some of it might also be caused by the cinderblock wall behind. You may be seeing the grout between the blocks which creates a dark band.

sidknee
Goldmember
1,289 posts
Gallery: 624 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 27, 2018 12:04 |  #23771

Pondrader wrote in post #18694007 (external link)
Good on you Pax2you.. the fresh air will do you good. Back years ago I had a encounter with a fairly talented photog who had some stuff in magazines, He knew he had the answer's to the best photography images " Ever " He told me that If I was going to seriously shoot birds I needed to get a flash rig setup. I agreed and proceeded to shoot. those images I took have been used by quite a few online magazines and the national audubon society... So my answer is never say never and no one answer is king.

So flash if you must... we won't hold it against you lol

I just let them be what ever they are.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Pondrader in
./showthread.php?p=186​94007&i=i136478292
forum: Birds

top stuff Jeff, really nice

ShadowHillsPhoto
533 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Aug 27, 2018 12:07 |  #23772

navydoc wrote in post #18694115 (external link)
Ah, I probably overdid a vignette to darken the background some. Thanks for pointing that out.

That might be it. I tried viewing the photo at 100% and the halo is barely visible, I probably wouldn't see it if I wasn't already looking for it. I think viewing it on my phone, where the image is only 2" wide, is compressing the transition from dark to light into such a small area that it becomes much more noticeable. Great shots though, makes me wish I wasn't stuck all the way over on the east coast with nothing but ruby-throats.

sidknee
Goldmember
1,289 posts
Gallery: 624 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 27, 2018 12:11 |  #23773

ShadowHillsPhoto wrote in post #18694126 (external link)
Great shots though, makes me wish I wasn't stuck all the way over on the east coast with nothing but ruby-throats.

At least you've got them, and you're not stuck over here in Europe where there are no humming birds at all :(

Pondrader
15,763 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 27, 2018 12:14 |  #23774

Life after the Humming bird

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

Pondrader
15,763 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 27, 2018 13:27 |  #23775

sidknee wrote in post #18694124 (external link)
top stuff Jeff, really nice

Thanks Sid

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

4,196,898 views & 403,805 likes for this thread
Post your best Bird Portrait
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.