Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 16 Aug 2018 (Thursday) 06:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cleaning the Sensor

Ah-keong
950 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Apr 2016

Aug 16, 2018 21:31 |  #16

I am using this when travelling and it looks like some cartoon toy....
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …20_Rocket_Air_B​lower.html (external link)

when changing lens, I try to face the body face down, prepare the lens to be changed and aligned with left hand, dismount the lens with right hand and walla....

this is the closest video I can find to change in less than 5 seconds.
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=M0ZuG3_lsW4&​t=406s (external link)

Canon 7D2+grip | 18-35mm ART | EF-S 10-18mm | EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II | ZE 2/100mm | ZE 2/35mm | ZE 1,4/85mm | CV 3,5/20mm | Nikkor 60mm f/2,8D |
Olympus E-PL3 | 7-14mm f/2,8 |
Speedlite 430EX III-RT | 600EX-RT | YN 600EX-RT |
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |

sponsored links
frozenframe
Goldmember
1,636 posts
Gallery: 175 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2013

Aug 17, 2018 17:18 |  #17

Here's Ben Willmore demonstrating how to change lenses.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=CHxG9lfxxIA (external link)

Ron
My Gear List

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,140 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 27, 2018 03:13 |  #18

Lens Rentals cautions about using a blower on some cameras...

Canon cameras have a rather easy sensor to clean though they have a few problem cameras to be aware of. The Canon 5DSR, for example, has a protective filter over the sensor that can collect dust under it when a rocket blower is used. This problem has also been seen occasionally on Canon 1DX Mark II, Canon 5DS, and Canon 5D Mark IV.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,140 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 27, 2018 03:14 |  #19

Forgot the link...
https://www.lensrental​s.com …aning-your-camera-sensor/ (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,140 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 27, 2018 03:54 |  #20

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18685620 (external link)
I use an Eyelead when a rocket blower doesn't do the trick.
https://photographylif​e.com/product/sensor-gel-stick (external link)

I use the one for Sony/Leica for my Leica's (orange). Works great.

I used a similar product called Dust-Aid. It was also a "sticky stamp" type of device. It worked great but I believe the product is no longer in production. A few years ago Lens Rentals had a sensor cleaning video and they used Dust-Aid in the process.

Thanks for the Eyelead link, I'll check into it. I wonder if the sticky papers can be bought separately.

Mathmans
274 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Aug 27, 2018 07:10 as a reply to  @ Perfectly Frank's post |  #21

'' I wonder if the sticky papers can be bought separately. ''

Yes they can.
I've got them from eBay from a store in Germany (original Eyelead sticky papers) when I was using gel stick.
After a year and a half (or so) I discovered, that the gel stick started to give me some residuals on the sensor. I removed those residuals with a dry sensor swab without problem, but then I stop using the gel stick. The only conclusion I could think of was that after some time and some use the gel becomes ''tired'' and the gel stick needs to be replaced. Washing the gel didn't help (washing with mild water as by instructions).
When new, the gel stick worked very well.

Now I just use a blower and if needed dry or wet sensor swabs.

My photos:
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/149610703@N05/ (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
35,923 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Aug 27, 2018 08:17 |  #22

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18693858 (external link)
I used a similar product called Dust-Aid. It was also a "sticky stamp" type of device. It worked great but I believe the product is no longer in production. A few years ago Lens Rentals had a sensor cleaning video and they used Dust-Aid in the process.

Thanks for the Eyelead link, I'll check into it. I wonder if the sticky papers can be bought separately.

Yes you can buy extra papers

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,592 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 27, 2018 08:45 |  #23

I have a complete set of dust aid I don't need. I will sell it cheap just to get something out of storage. :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,140 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 27, 2018 09:17 |  #24

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18693988 (external link)
I have a complete set of dust aid I don't need. I will sell it cheap just to get something out of storage. :)

I'm curious why you don't use the Dust-Aid?

I liked the product and LenRentals used it. But reading forums over the years it seems it wasn't a popular product. As far as I know, BHP
and Adorama didn't sell it.

I'll send you a PM.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,592 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 7 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Aug 27, 2018 09:19 |  #25

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18694008 (external link)
I'm curious why you don't use the Dust-Aid?

I liked the product and LenRentals used it. But reading forums over the years it seems it wasn't a popular product. As far as I know, BHP
and Adorama didn't sell it.

I'll send you a PM.

I have been pretty happy just using a blower and the onboard dust shaker on my bodies. I think I used one or two pads in the past, and I also have a complete Eclipse set with pec pads, eclipse fluid etc, and I don't use that either. Since I don't shoot past f11 or so, I just notice how much dust I have. Ignorance is bliss!

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

clipper_from_oz
Goldmember
2,512 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Sep 2005
Post edited 7 months ago by clipper_from_oz. (2 edits in all)

Aug 27, 2018 10:40 |  #26

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18694010 (external link)
I have been pretty happy just using a blower and the onboard dust shaker on my bodies. I think I used one or two pads in the past, and I also have a complete Eclipse set with pec pads, eclipse fluid etc, and I don't use that either. Since I don't shoot past f11 or so, I just notice how much dust I have. Ignorance is bliss!

Yes I certainly agree that ignorance is bliss!! :)....I went from religiously wet cleaning the sensor every month for years and then said what the heck I dont go past f11 anymore due to the newer sensors starting to suffer diffraction earlier in aperture settings so I put sensor dust totally out of mind and have never looked back. Wet Sensor cleans I do are more like an annual occurrence now.

Clipper
5DSR,5DMkII,Fuji XPRO1,X-T1&X-T20,Fotoman 6x17cm Large Format Panorama Camera,Mamiya Universal 6x9
Canon EF 16-35mm f4 L, 17mm TSE f4 L,50mm f1.4, 24-70 f2.8 L, 70-200mm F4 L, 85mm f1.8, 100-400mm II L,
EF 400mm f2.8 IS II L, Fujinon XF18mmf2, XF35mmf1.4, XF60mm f2, XF18-55f2.8-4.5, XF55-200f4
Rodenstock, Sinar& Nikkor LF lens for Pano (75,95,150+210mm)
flickr (external link)

Mathmans
274 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Aug 27, 2018 13:58 as a reply to  @ clipper_from_oz's post |  #27

Yeah; I rarely shoot past f8. I'm not a landscape shooter. I'm usually at f1.8 to f5.6 so there are no dust spots on my images.
Once in a while I get bored and I check for sensor dust at say f16 and if there is too much spots I use a blower and usually a dry sensor swab.

My photos:
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/149610703@N05/ (external link)

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,116 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 28, 2018 18:17 |  #28

Microfiber mini rag.... that's it. That's all I have ever needed. I get them from Costco eyewear department. Keepin' it simple.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,964 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 28, 2018 19:04 |  #29

Mathmans wrote in post #18694212 (external link)
Yeah; I rarely shoot past f8. I'm not a landscape shooter. I'm usually at f1.8 to f5.6 so there are no dust spots on my images.
Once in a while I get bored and I check for sensor dust at say f16 and if there is too much spots I use a blower and usually a dry sensor swab.

Yes neither do I. Then I need to shoot at 1/25s at ISO 100 and it's heading towards Sunny 16. All of a sudden I find it's ƒ/22 and I wish I could find a two stop or four stop 95mm ND filter for less that £200! The background of the image? a very evenly coloured plain sky. Yes the only 95mm round ND filters I can find are £220. I want round as I also need to use the big bucket sized lens hood on my Sigma 150-600 C.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,140 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 29, 2018 12:30 |  #30

I was at the rental counter of Samy's Camera and the guy who repairs/cleans cameras warned me against using a blower on my sensor.
Dust is in the air, and the blower will blow the air/dust mixture into the camera. Could add more dust on the sensor.

I used a blower on my 80D and it made matters worse. My sensor has more dust after the blowing. :-(

But...LensRentals uses the blower, and so do many here. So there is benefit to using a blower. Perhaps the room I was in had a higher
concentration of airborne dust.

I often thought of running an air purifier in a small room at home. Let it run for a couple of hours, then do the sensor blowing/cleaning.
Don't know if it would help - just an idea.

Sensor dust is less of a problem than it used to be. I have a 1D4/Sigma 150-600C mated together. They rarely detach.
My 80D/300 f2.8 stay together most of the time, unless to add/remove an extender. At air shows (lots of dust there) I swap in/out
extenders while inside a port-a-potty. It gives added protection from dust, and I can take care of business at the same time. :-)

sponsored links

4,006 views & 9 likes for this thread
Cleaning the Sensor
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.