Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 18 Aug 2018 (Saturday) 20:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need help on buying a softbox.....

RicoTudor
613 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Aug 25, 2018 22:54 |  #31

F2Bthere wrote in post #18692756 (external link)
Yes.
I have not figured out a solution which is convenient, easy to transport and inexpensive.

Check out the Photoflex LitePanel line, the 39"x72" in particular. Frame is plastic or alu (your choice) and breaks down quickly with connecting shock cord. The frame is free-standing with the leg accessory or can be ganged with hinges to create a V-flat. Many fabrics are available: I like the silver lamé and glossy white.

Canon, Nikon, Contax, Leica, Sony, Profoto.

sponsored links
reefvilla
THREAD ­ STARTER
995 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined May 2010

Aug 26, 2018 08:01 as a reply to  @ RicoTudor's post |  #32

I like the idea of the 77x77 panel with two stands. That could come in handy for just about any outdoor shoots

Canon 6D Mark2 : Canon 16-35mm f4 IS : Canon 24-70mm f2.8 ii : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS ii

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,255 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 26, 2018 08:09 |  #33

reefvilla wrote in post #18692994 (external link)
I like the idea of the 77x77 panel with two stands. That could come in handy for just about any outdoor shoots

just hope there is zero wind, or be prepared to seriously anchor those stands.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

soeren
Whoops Im not updated
521 posts
Joined Nov 2017

Aug 26, 2018 08:28 |  #34

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18692999 (external link)
just hope there is zero wind, or be prepared to seriously anchor those stands.

Yeah, kite was also my first thought

If history has proven anything. it's that evolution always wins!!

RicoTudor
613 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Aug 26, 2018 19:02 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #35

Yeah, I live in the Windy City and panels are an exercise in frustration. My favorite reflector outdoors is a concrete wall!

Canon, Nikon, Contax, Leica, Sony, Profoto.

ShutterKlick
374 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Oct 2017

Aug 26, 2018 20:26 as a reply to  @ post 18687993 |  #36

I dont recall, but it wasnt a Godox strobe..

"Camera & lens rich, Cash poor"

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Aug 27, 2018 23:28 |  #37

What frustrates me is that so many of these commercial panels are outside the really handy size. Two 4x8 panels work pretty well. To be clear, what I am saying here relates to photographing people specifically. I find I use different strategies for tabletop, etc.

Tall: V-flats go down to floor level and are above anyone's head. The angle of the light is just going to work. 7 feet tall is probably enough, but 6 feet can be a bit short. I often feather the key and count on the panel for fill. Because the light is high, I need the panel to throw back light on a high level. Over 8 will challenge ceilings at many locations. Ceiling fans and lamps are an issue and some interiors don't really have a full 8 feet. So 84-96" is the best range and 90" might be the best for location use. In the studio, v-flats built to your space are better than constructed panels.

Wide: 4' for each panel has worked quite well for me. It is rare two 4' panels together (one v-flat) isn't enough (at that point, another one comes out). I have run into situations where wider than 4 feet has created problems getting everything to fit and has created inconvenience. I have not run into space problems with v-flats. I think 3 feet is the bottom end of useful. Add much more than 6" to the 4 foot length and there are too many situations where it starts to get in the way.

I would say two hinged panels that were 48x90" would be the most practical and versatile size for location use. 36x84 would be ok and as small as I would want to go, but 40x84 would be better (I know an extra 8", 4" per side, doesn't sound like much, but still...).

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

ShutterKlick
374 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Oct 2017

Aug 31, 2018 21:15 |  #38

bar stool?? Would work for waist and above..

"Camera & lens rich, Cash poor"

sponsored links

5,813 views & 6 likes for this thread
Need help on buying a softbox.....
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.