Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 28 Aug 2018 (Tuesday) 21:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Get your wallets ready....new mirrorless announcement soon

Mbell1975
248 posts
Joined Jul 2018

Aug 28, 2018 21:30 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

I'll be holding out for the higher end model to test out but this should still appeal to the masses...

https://www.canonrumor​s.com …-likely-coming-true-soon/ (external link)

Rumored specifications:

28MP full frame sensor
Dual Pixel Auto Focus
IBIS (In Body Image Stabilisation)
10fps shooting
4k@30fps
1080p@60fps
Priced $1,900

sponsored links
umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,522 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 28, 2018 21:44 |  #2

If it does not compete with the Sony A7iii and up

IT WONT SELL TO PROFESSIONALS

THESE SPECS ARE A JOKE

ISO performance ???

Ability to use current L lens with an new adapter that will not effect performance ??

Ability of servo to operate and lock in low light ??

Ability to use existing canon flash units on the bodies ???

Menu that works like current Canon menus do or do we have to learn a whole new menu system and functions ??

My reaction to this so far is as follows

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,575 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 6 months ago by TeamSpeed. (4 edits in all)

Aug 28, 2018 21:47 |  #3

The adapter won't affect AF, it will merely be mostly a passthrough to the camera from the lens, that I can be sure of. Just like extension tubes...

10fps looks great, but AF has to match that of the 5D4 and have dual slots for me to be interested.

This will kill all 6D2 sales however, I am sure. Get ready for a glut of 6D and 6D2 cameras on the used market.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Mbell1975
THREAD ­ STARTER
248 posts
Joined Jul 2018
Post edited 6 months ago by Mbell1975.

Aug 28, 2018 22:02 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

umphotography wrote in post #18695428 (external link)
If it does not compete with the Sony A7iii and up

IT WONT SELL TO PROFESSIONALS

THESE SPECS ARE A JOKE

ISO performance ???

Ability to use current L lens with an new adapter that will not effect performance ??

Ability of servo to operate and lock in low light ??

Ability to use existing canon flash units on the bodies ???

Menu that works like current Canon menus do or do we have to learn a whole new menu system and functions ??

My reaction to this so far is as follows

Its just rumors and a lot believe it will be an EF mount. of course it wont sell to many professionals. Pros like me will continue using our DSLRs and wait for the higher end model to come out, which probably wont be announced until next year. However, your average Canon consumer waiting for them to release a FF mirrorless will be all over this. They dont care about Sony, they only care about a FF mirrorless that says Canon on it.

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,522 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 28, 2018 22:46 |  #5

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18695431 (external link)
The adapter won't affect AF, it will merely be mostly a passthrough to the camera from the lens, that I can be sure of. Just like extension tubes...

10fps looks great, but AF has to match that of the 5D4 and have dual slots for me to be interested.

This will kill all 6D2 sales however, I am sure. Get ready for a glut of 6D and 6D2 cameras on the used market.

Tell that to all the people who have adapters on the Sony's and their lens perform poorly

I wont believe it until its proven to be true

6D2 did not do well because entry market people are not buying DSLR's.....they are using the I phones

The amateur camera market is DEAD. The I phone owns it so lets keep it that way

Canon and Nikon need to wake up. Professionals want quality equipment

This release is not gonna cut it as compared to what Sony is doing

If this is what Canon and Nikon are going to do......Sony will put them out of their misery at next release

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 28, 2018 23:02 |  #6

umphotography wrote in post #18695470 (external link)
Tell that to all the people who have adapters on the Sony's and their lens perform poorly

I wont believe it until its proven to be true

6D2 did not do well because entry market people are not buying DSLR's.....they are using the I phones

If this is what Canon and Nikon are going to do......Sony will put them out of their misery at next release

I've heard rumors that Sony has an epic answer waiting in the wings to the C&N FF mirrorless releases. The N cameras didn't match up to what is currently out for Sony. Can you imagine in the C releases don't match up, and Sony still drops something crazy that ups the anti that much more?! Might be the beginning of the end folks.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

mcoren
624 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Aug 28, 2018 23:17 |  #7

I've seen a common thread in many comments over the past week following the Nikon Z6/Z7 announcements, and I'm seeing it about the (rumored) upcoming Canon announcement.

"It's a new lens mount. I don't want to/shouldn't have to/won't use an adapter on my lenses"

One of the advantages of mirrorless cameras is that the lenses can be closer to the sensor. This, I understand, provides some advantages for the lens design. If this is true, then, in my opinion, Canon would be limiting their future capabilities if they release a new family of high-end mirrorless cameras that are compatible with EF lenses without any sort of adapter.

Building new lenses takes time. While it would be nice if Canon would release their new camera line with a full suite of 30 lenses available from day one, that's not likely to happen. Instead, I expect Canon to follow a similar path to Nikon, releasing two or three lenses with the camera, and announcing that a couple more will be available in the near future.

I'm old enough to remember when Canon introduced the EOS system in the late 1980s. We take it for granted today that there are dozens of different EF lenses available, with multiple options for every budget and every shooting scenario. But when the EOS system first came out, there were only a handful of lenses available initially. Many pros and serious amateurs held off switching to it precisely because they had large investments in FD glass, even though Canon sold a high quality (so I heard) adapter. It took a few years before there were enough EF lenses that the system reached critical mass and it became clear that this was where Canon was betting its future.

I expect the same will happen for a Canon mirrorless, and for the Nikon Z mount. It will take a while to fill out the lens lines. If the companies are really committed to these products, they will take a long-term view. They'll get there eventually.

(Incidentally, unlike Canon, Nikon's AF mount was natively compatible with many of their older MF lenses. Those of you who remember the old rec.photo usenet group(s) may recall that Nikon fans loved to rub this fact in the face of Canon fans well into the mid-1990s.)

Another often repeated trope is:

"Sony is too far ahead. Canon/Nikon will never catch up."

Sony definitely has a significant head start in mirrorless. I'm sure there will be many significant things that Sony does better than the initial Canon mirrorless, just like there are major things they do better than the Nikon Z6/Z7. But somebody will buy the Canons and Nikons. Maybe there will be one feature, however minor, that Canon and Nikon do better than Sony. Maybe they already have a couple of Canon/Nikon lenses and don't mind using an adapter. Maybe they just prefer the brand. Or the menu structure. Or the feel of it in their hands.

Right now Canon and Nikon are definitely playing catch-up in mirrorless. Sony has a huge head start and pretty much owns the market, but Canon and Nikon have a lot of experience making cameras and a lot of resources. If they expect to be number one in the market within six months of their initial product launch, they're doomed to failure. But if they're in it for the long haul, they have the potential to be true market leaders. It may take five years, maybe more. But they'll get there if they stay focused on it.

Hang on folks. It's about to get really interesting!

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,821 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 28, 2018 23:24 |  #8

Mbell1975 wrote in post #18695441 (external link)
Its just rumors and a lot believe it will be an EF mount....

I saw that in a lot of the comments. EF mount isn't going to work without an adapter. Its all about the flange distance. If they build a mirrorless for the EF mount, the body will basically be the same size as the EF mount bodies of today.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,354 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 6 months ago by Wilt.

Aug 28, 2018 23:27 |  #9

Uh, in between the 'amateur snapshooter' P&S user (now served with the iPhone) and the 'professional' dSLR user is a group of photographers who existed decades ago and fostered the sale of countless SLRs back then and mid-level and high level dSLRs today...the enthusiast/hobbyist.

Lots of these folks have lowered expectations and needs compared to pros, and many have lots of disposable income to spend on playthings. A number even have enough disposable income to buy the same expensive cameras as the pros,
They have many of the same expectations of the pro, and they might buy a product even when the product does not have support for features that pros would demand to have, because as hobbyists they do not need the missing features.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

gjl711
54,821 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 28, 2018 23:29 |  #10

Or it could be that the 6DII didn't really offer anything new and those with a 5DII, 5DIII, or 6D didn't feel the need to upgrade.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,354 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 28, 2018 23:37 |  #11

gjl711 wrote in post #18695495 (external link)
Or it could be that the 6DII didn't really offer anything new and those with a 5DII, 5DIII, or 6D didn't feel the need to upgrade.

...or much of the non-buying public felt that the changes brought by the 6DII were not enough of a step forward to warrant the expense vs. keeping their existing 6D...if only the IQ improvement was great enough that it ended up better than the 5DIV at a lower price!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

gjl711
54,821 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 28, 2018 23:42 |  #12

Wilt wrote in post #18695501 (external link)
...or much of the non-buying public felt that the changes brought by the 6DII were not enough of a step forward to warrant the expense vs. keeping their existing 6D...if only the IQ improvement was great enough that it ended up better than the 5DIV at a lower price!

Or equal to the 5DIV.

Ah-keong
949 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Apr 2016

Aug 29, 2018 01:33 |  #13

mcoren wrote in post #18695483 (external link)
I've seen a common thread in many comments over the past week following the Nikon Z6/Z7 announcements, and I'm seeing it about the (rumored) upcoming Canon announcement.

"It's a new lens mount. I don't want to/shouldn't have to/won't use an adapter on my lenses"

One of the advantages of mirrorless cameras is that the lenses can be closer to the sensor. This, I understand, provides some advantages for the lens design. If this is true, then, in my opinion, Canon would be limiting their future capabilities if they release a new family of high-end mirrorless cameras that are compatible with EF lenses without any sort of adapter.

Building new lenses takes time. While it would be nice if Canon would release their new camera line with a full suite of 30 lenses available from day one, that's not likely to happen. Instead, I expect Canon to follow a similar path to Nikon, releasing two or three lenses with the camera, and announcing that a couple more will be available in the near future.

I'm old enough to remember when Canon introduced the EOS system in the late 1980s. We take it for granted today that there are dozens of different EF lenses available, with multiple options for every budget and every shooting scenario. But when the EOS system first came out, there were only a handful of lenses available initially. Many pros and serious amateurs held off switching to it precisely because they had large investments in FD glass, even though Canon sold a high quality (so I heard) adapter. It took a few years before there were enough EF lenses that the system reached critical mass and it became clear that this was where Canon was betting its future.

I expect the same will happen for a Canon mirrorless, and for the Nikon Z mount. It will take a while to fill out the lens lines. If the companies are really committed to these products, they will take a long-term view. They'll get there eventually.

(Incidentally, unlike Canon, Nikon's AF mount was natively compatible with many of their older MF lenses. Those of you who remember the old rec.photo usenet group(s) may recall that Nikon fans loved to rub this fact in the face of Canon fans well into the mid-1990s.)

Another often repeated trope is:

"Sony is too far ahead. Canon/Nikon will never catch up."

Sony definitely has a significant head start in mirrorless. I'm sure there will be many significant things that Sony does better than the initial Canon mirrorless, just like there are major things they do better than the Nikon Z6/Z7. But somebody will buy the Canons and Nikons. Maybe there will be one feature, however minor, that Canon and Nikon do better than Sony. Maybe they already have a couple of Canon/Nikon lenses and don't mind using an adapter. Maybe they just prefer the brand. Or the menu structure. Or the feel of it in their hands.

Right now Canon and Nikon are definitely playing catch-up in mirrorless. Sony has a huge head start and pretty much owns the market, but Canon and Nikon have a lot of experience making cameras and a lot of resources. If they expect to be number one in the market within six months of their initial product launch, they're doomed to failure. But if they're in it for the long haul, they have the potential to be true market leaders. It may take five years, maybe more. But they'll get there if they stay focused on it.

Hang on folks. It's about to get really interesting!

Mike

I think that with the short flange distance and larger mount diameter of the mirrorless camera design may generate a demand of new ultra wide angle lens design.

the pricing is also critical, you cannot sell a product with basic features set at a professional price point (like the Nikon Z7) to consumers.

The 6D Mark II or D600/700 is developed with the 'pro-sumers' in mind where a basic full frame sensor is coupled with other basic features for people who want to get a full frame sensor within budget.

I believe if Canon would to release a Mirrorless model, I believe it would be a replacement of the 6D mark II equivalent and based on the Nikon Z-mount dimensions, Canon may not need a new mount design if the flange distance is kept the same (like shooting in live-view mode).

If I were Canon, I would come up with a new mount design (say around 70mm) that would enable housing of a medium format sensor like Fuji GFX. In addition, it is also able to house 35mm full frame sensor and cropped sensor. One mount for three sensor sizes to be built into three mirrorless product lines and ONE new lens family for medium format and full frame.

Specialized consumers/ professionals who need fast response especially AF speed can continue to use DSLR for action/ sports/ wildlife. While hobbyists/enthusiasts/​'pro-sumers' can be channeled into the new mirrorless world....  :p

Ladies & Gentlemen, Introducing the Canon's NEW mount, the O mount! :oops:

Canon 7D2+grip | 18-35mm ART | EF-S 10-18mm | EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II | ZE 2/100mm | ZE 2/35mm | ZE 1,4/85mm | CV 3,5/20mm | Nikkor 60mm f/2,8D |
Olympus E-PL3 | 7-14mm f/2,8 |
Speedlite 430EX III-RT | 600EX-RT | YN 600EX-RT |
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,575 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 29, 2018 05:32 as a reply to  @ umphotography's post |  #14

A Canon camera with a Canon adapter with a Canon lens will be fine. Sony using a Metabone with a canon lens isn't even in the same league.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,316 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 29, 2018 05:45 |  #15

If you read the canon watch post, it doesn't at all sound as confident as the canon rumors post.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links

11,340 views & 144 likes for this thread
Get your wallets ready....new mirrorless announcement soon
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.