Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 28 Aug 2018 (Tuesday) 21:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Get your wallets ready....new mirrorless announcement soon

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,523 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 29, 2018 12:10 |  #16

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18695610 (external link)
A Canon camera with a Canon adapter with a Canon lens will be fine. Sony using a Metabone with a canon lens isn't even in the same league.

I hope you are 100% correct

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,523 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 29, 2018 12:19 |  #17

I have zero issues using an adapter on a mirrorless camera

AS LONG AS IT WORKS

I saw the difference on the Sony bodies using L glass and an adapter v/s Native Sony glass

Its one of the reasons Im waiting to see what Canon will do

If an adapter works, then Im interested

I know what the 1Dx2 does in low light v/s what a 5D4 does and I know the difference what both cameras can do with a moving target

So what ever mirrorless canon introduces, it needs to be on par with a 5D4 for AF performance....Otherwi​se...whats the point of going mirrorless ?

I get that the gear junkies get a new toy to play with. But I am a working pro. I need bodies that work

If canon introduced pro line mirrorless camera that perform like the Sony A9's and I can use my Canon glass with an adapter that works then I am interested

If they dont. I will stick with these awesome bodies that I have

I am in no rush. I looking to replace a high count 5D3. Im not going to buy a mirrorless unless they do what the top bodies are doing

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

mcoren
624 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Aug 29, 2018 18:14 |  #18

Ah-keong wrote in post #18695535 (external link)
Specialized consumers/ professionals who need fast response especially AF speed can continue to use DSLR for action/ sports/ wildlife. While hobbyists/enthusiasts/​'pro-sumers' can be channeled into the new mirrorless world....  :p

Is there something inherent in mirrorless camera technology that makes it slower than a DSLR? It seems to me that if you want to engineer a mirrorless camera for blazing fast AF, physics shouldn't stop you. Unless I'm missing something. :)

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,589 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 29, 2018 19:54 as a reply to  @ mcoren's post |  #19

Sensor based AF, even those now designed with phase detect, have always seemed to behind the dedicated AF sensors where they were cross, horizontal, vertical, etc. However I think we are approaching a time with processor speed and sensor tech where the status quo is being challenged.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Ah-keong
950 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Apr 2016

Aug 29, 2018 20:25 |  #20

mcoren wrote in post #18696113 (external link)
Is there something inherent in mirrorless camera technology that makes it slower than a DSLR? It seems to me that if you want to engineer a mirrorless camera for blazing fast AF, physics shouldn't stop you. Unless I'm missing something. :)

Mike

I believe is the difference of the architecture design in both systems.
The DSLR has a separate AF sensor based on phase detection to do the AF.
The Mirrorless in the past uses the contrast detection to do the AF. Even though the mirrorless with technology today uses whatever you 'call it( phase+contrast, hybrid detection, etc). I think the Canon's Dual Pixel AF is still the closest to the DSLR technology.

If the Mirrorless can do continuous AF 'reliably' like the 1Dx Mark II (think Sony A9 is close) with a 'affordable' price point. Maybe then DSLR would be replaced....

I believe Mirrorless would one day replace DSLR in the future. Meanwhile, I shall stick to matured proven technology of the DSLR today.  :p

Canon 7D2+grip | 18-35mm ART | EF-S 10-18mm | EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II | ZE 2/100mm | ZE 2/35mm | ZE 1,4/85mm | CV 3,5/20mm | Nikkor 60mm f/2,8D |
Olympus E-PL3 | 7-14mm f/2,8 |
Speedlite 430EX III-RT | 600EX-RT | YN 600EX-RT |
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,989 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 29, 2018 20:37 |  #21

someone wake me up when they come out with a 7D III in 6 months...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Mbell1975
THREAD ­ STARTER
248 posts
Joined Jul 2018

Aug 29, 2018 21:28 |  #22
bannedPermanent ban

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18696176 (external link)
Sensor based AF, even those now designed with phase detect, have always seemed to behind the dedicated AF sensors where they were cross, horizontal, vertical, etc. However I think we are approaching a time with processor speed and sensor tech where the status quo is being challenged.

Yep, and this is where those new stacked sensors Canon has been gathering patents for is supped to blow past every other mirrorless sensor on the market thanks to the dedicated second chip for AF. They are supposed to focus faster, allow for a huge FPS rate and help improve video. its coming...

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,564 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 29, 2018 23:22 |  #23

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18695610 (external link)
A Canon camera with a Canon adapter with a Canon lens will be fine. Sony using a Metabone with a canon lens isn't even in the same league.

Actually it's not that far off practically speaking. Sony A9 adapted with Canon lenses, can probably out perform most Canon cameras using native lenses. The reason why other lower models don't do as well is due to restrictions imposed by Sony. They have been known to ease restrictions through firmware over time.

I bet the gen 3 bodies outperform all of the Eos-m bodies with Canon adapted lenses.

It all depends how much the system is dumbed down. Consider Nikon, the camera is rated -1 even, and I'm pretty confident that if I adapt a fast lens on the R3, rated to -3ev, I should be able to get -1ev. That's my impression with Canon lenses at least.

If Canon's offering is strong, then it won't be an issue, and I do hope they have a strong offering. Sony has been charging a premium unchecked.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Mbell1975
THREAD ­ STARTER
248 posts
Joined Jul 2018

Aug 30, 2018 00:20 |  #24
bannedPermanent ban

Charlie wrote in post #18696267 (external link)
Actually it's not that far off practically speaking. Sony A9 adapted with Canon lenses, can probably out perform most Canon cameras using native lenses. The reason why other lower models don't do as well is due to restrictions imposed by Sony.

Exactly. As i said, they are a petty company who nickels and dimes customers and intentionally cripples their cameras to force you to buy their overpriced accessories to work fully and properly with flashes, triggers and other things every other camera can work with natively.

Charlie
15,564 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 30, 2018 05:16 |  #25

Mbell1975 wrote in post #18696280 (external link)
Exactly. As i said, they are a petty company who nickels and dimes customers and intentionally cripples their cameras to force you to buy their overpriced accessories to work fully and properly with flashes, triggers and other things every other camera can work with natively.

How many Sony lenses can Canon adapt? When has Canon opened up their AF protocol?

:-P :-P :-P

There are different levels of crippling. Like the existence of the 6D series or putting a crop factor in full frame cameras in video mode :-P

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,338 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 30, 2018 05:33 |  #26

Doomed thread MkII, yea!

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,589 posts
Joined May 2002

Aug 30, 2018 06:17 |  #27

Charlie wrote in post #18696267 (external link)
Actually it's not that far off practically speaking. Sony A9 adapted with Canon lenses, can probably out perform most Canon cameras using native lenses. The reason why other lower models don't do as well is due to restrictions imposed by Sony. They have been known to ease restrictions through firmware over time.

I have seen enough from Sony A7 and A9 owners to know that simply isn't true, especially those that have 1D experience. I have followed enough of these threads across POTN and FM to have seen the issues and inconsistencies to know that eventually people just go to native glass and do away with the Metabones adapter. It is more about Metabones anyways, than Sony, due to the number of versions and firmware updates made to that adapter.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Charlie
15,564 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 30, 2018 06:52 |  #28

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18696380 (external link)
I have seen enough from Sony A7 and A9 owners to know that simply isn't true, especially those that have 1D experience. I have followed enough of these threads across POTN and FM to have seen the issues and inconsistencies to know that eventually people just go to native glass and do away with the Metabones adapter. It is more about Metabones anyways, than Sony, due to the number of versions and firmware updates made to that adapter.

I said most, of course 1D will outperform Sony plus adapter, but I was speaking in context of this thread and consumer cameras by Canon. 6D's, eos-m's, rebels, upcoming mirrorless. Where AF fails is not the ability of adapted AF, but sensitivity drops dramatically, like I said in previous post, instead of -3ev, you're probably at -1ev. General AF is better in most other scenarios. Good enough to reliably shoot 1/125 f2 iso 12800 consistently.

Sony allowed eye AF with adapted lenses via firmware. Eventually, they also allowed advance tracking. It's not just a metabones thing.

Metabones is limited to their engineering, they don't have the Sony AF protocols, however sigma adapter and lens combo, basically native. Sigma can probably enable Canon lenses if they wanted, but makes little business sense. Sony enabled all the features for the A9 recently, just waiting for that firmware to trickle once Canon mirrorless is introduced, and I think it will. Sony has a tendency to do that sort of thing via firmware, not to the level of Fuji, but decent stuff.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,589 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 6 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Aug 30, 2018 08:00 |  #29

Charlie wrote in post #18696397 (external link)
I said most, of course 1D will outperform Sony plus adapter, but I was speaking in context of this thread and consumer cameras by Canon. 6D's, eos-m's, rebels, upcoming mirrorless. Where AF fails is not the ability of adapted AF, but sensitivity drops dramatically, like I said in previous post, instead of -3ev, you're probably at -1ev. General AF is better in most other scenarios. Good enough to reliably shoot 1/125 f2 iso 12800 consistently.

Sony allowed eye AF with adapted lenses via firmware. Eventually, they also allowed advance tracking. It's not just a metabones thing.

Metabones is limited to their engineering, they don't have the Sony AF protocols, however sigma adapter and lens combo, basically native. Sigma can probably enable Canon lenses if they wanted, but makes little business sense. Sony enabled all the features for the A9 recently, just waiting for that firmware to trickle once Canon mirrorless is introduced, and I think it will. Sony has a tendency to do that sort of thing via firmware, not to the level of Fuji, but decent stuff.

Well the A9 isn't a consumer level camera. It is the Sony flagship and should be compared to such in other manufacturer lines. Perhaps the A73 would be a better comparison to the 6D2, and how it would AF with an adapter and canon lens. That might be closer.

Mbell1975
THREAD ­ STARTER
248 posts
Joined Jul 2018
Post edited 6 months ago by Mbell1975.

Aug 30, 2018 14:27 |  #30
bannedPermanent ban

Charlie wrote in post #18696359 (external link)
How many Sony lenses can Canon adapt?

Canon has every lens anyone could ever need and a TON of 3rd party support for the EF mount. Why on earth would you ever need to mount a Sony lens on your Canon? Sony's lineup is STILL lacking several key lenses. Just another reason they still trail Canon in most people's opinions.

sponsored links

11,370 views & 144 likes for this thread
Get your wallets ready....new mirrorless announcement soon
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.