Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 02 Sep 2018 (Sunday) 12:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

FULL FRAME MIRRORLESS CANON

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,009 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 02, 2018 12:09 |  #1

I found these specs in a PDF format on Canon Rumors. Since they carry a Canon Logo at the head, I wonder if they are the official specs on what we will see?

https://www.canonrumor​s.com/wp-conte...8/09/eos-r.pdf

Maybe I missed something but, in a quick read of these specs, I cannot seem to find the answers to several questions which would be extremely important to me...

1. Does the camera have one or two memory card slots?
2. Does this camera have an articulating LCD like the Canon 6D Mark 2 or the Canon M-50?
3. Is the LCD touch screen for both selecting focus points and for selecting menu items?
4. Can you use the eye level electronic viewfinder and the LCD at the same time such as on the M-50 where you can view the image using the eye level viewfinder and select the focus point using your thumb on the LCD? I love that ability.

The Dual Pixel CMOS Auto Focus system with touch screen focus point selection is great for both shooting stills and video. However, the problem I have with that system on my 6D2 is that it can only be used in Live View mode. I have big time problems viewing an LCD in the bright sun. To get around that problem, I use a SWIVI viewfinder which sort of converts the LCD to an eye level viewfinder. Actually it is a great way to view my image and reminds me of using a magnifying viewfinder on my Hasselblad cameras. However, using the SWIVI, negates the use of touch screen to a great degree and selecting the focus point using the rear camera controls is relatively slow. However, since I use this system for portrait work, the slow focus point selection is no big problem.

Having the Dual Pixel CMOS AF available in an eye level viewfinder would be absolutely great for me.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
iazybandit
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Post edited 5 months ago by iazybandit.

Sep 02, 2018 12:24 |  #2

RPCrowe wrote in post #18698621 (external link)
I found these specs in a PDF format on Canon Rumors. Since they carry a Canon Logo at the head, I wonder if they are the official specs on what we will see?

https://www.canonrumor​s.com/wp-conte...8/09/eos-r.pdf

Maybe I missed something but, in a quick read of these specs, I cannot seem to find the answers to several questions which would be extremely important to me...

1. Does the camera have one or two memory card slots?
2. Does this camera have an articulating LCD like the Canon 6D Mark 2 or the Canon M-50?
3. Is the LCD touch screen for both selecting focus points and for selecting menu items?
4. Can you use the eye level electronic viewfinder and the LCD at the same time such as on the M-50 where you can view the image using the eye level viewfinder and select the focus point using your thumb on the LCD? I love that ability.

The Dual Pixel CMOS Auto Focus system with touch screen focus point selection is great for both shooting stills and video. However, the problem I have with that system on my 6D2 is that it can only be used in Live View mode. I have big time problems viewing an LCD in the bright sun. To get around that problem, I use a SWIVI viewfinder which sort of converts the LCD to an eye level viewfinder. Actually it is a great way to view my image and reminds me of using a magnifying viewfinder on my Hasselblad cameras. However, using the SWIVI, negates the use of touch screen to a great degree and selecting the focus point using the rear camera controls is relatively slow. However, since I use this system for portrait work, the slow focus point selection is no big problem.

Having the Dual Pixel CMOS AF available in an eye level viewfinder would be absolutely great for me.

There's plenty of info and leaked pictures available online. There's also a thread with a discussion on the EOS R already - https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1499776

1. Looks to have one memory card slot
2. It has articulating screen
3. The screen will be touch screen for menu selecting like all other Canon cameras. As for selecting focus points like the M5 and M50, don't know.
4. Not much info.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Varavon Monopod and Camtrol Prime Stabilizer | Tolifo LED Light, Luxi for All Light Meter, Ruggard Journey 34 Shoulder Bag

RPCrowe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,009 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 02, 2018 21:34 |  #3

I just noticed something. Canon DSLR users are taking this with just a vague interest while the Nikon fanboys are ejaculating with excitement.

Does this meat that we Canon DSLR shooters are more satisfied with our DSLR cameras than Nikonians are with theirs:rolleyes:

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

peeaanuut
Goldmember
3,543 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 02, 2018 21:42 |  #4

RPCrowe wrote in post #18698988 (external link)
I just noticed something. Canon DSLR users are taking this with just a vague interest while the Nikon fanboys are ejaculating with excitement.

Does this meat that we Canon DSLR shooters are more satisfied with our DSLR cameras than Nikonians are with theirs:rolleyes:

the new nikon's were quite a disappointment when compared to overall expectations.

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/ (external link) : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotos (external link) : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotos (external link)
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,250 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined May 2007

Sep 02, 2018 22:08 |  #5

This is exactly why I'll wait a generation or two - to let things settle a bit before buying. This early it is hard to know anything BUT by early indications it appears that Nikon is treating the ML like a Coolpix and Canon is, well, showing us an upgraded M50???

It just seems like Fuji & Sony are more DEDICATED to ML cameras than they key players are.

But I've been wrong before.....

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,463 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 03, 2018 15:38 |  #6

RPCrowe wrote in post #18698988 (external link)

Actually, I would say the initial 'Z' hype was winding up, but once the Nikon users got a chance to really chew on the spec sheets there is much nashing of teeth and tearing of breasts now.

I started with an interest in the Canon RF, but I was already feeling some trepidation when I saw that two of the first three lenses are heavy beasts.

Pawing through the PDF spec sheet killed off the rest of my enthusiasm. The main item that killed it for me was a realization that the camera is 3 fps burst capable in servo focus with AF priority. That also makes me nervous about the eventual AF performance.

Other tidbits that are no so hot:
1) Single UHS-1 SD card slot (not even a UHS-II).
2) AF performance to EV -6 is only in single shot, and only with f/1.2 lenses. So it's just a marketing number.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,357 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 5 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Sep 03, 2018 21:42 |  #7

Wait a minute, you came back to POTN? Welcome back! :D

It's a shame Canon's R&D cycle is so long and slow and methodical. This simply means that they continue to be behind the others in various models by a year or more sometimes. However, there are times they accelerate forward and catch up (or sometimes exceed) others, but then they fall back into the same groove.

If Canon was a car ride, it would be like you would feel a slight acceleration off the light, then a continuous speed, then a sudden rush of speed, followed by heavy braking, and back to a stop, rinse and repeat.

With Sony, for example, it is like they never come to a stop, but they have ebb and flow in acceleration/slowing down with quick turns into other directions.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,075 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 04, 2018 09:09 |  #8

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18699801 (external link)
Wait a minute, you came back to POTN? Welcome back! :D

It's a shame Canon's R&D cycle is so long and slow and methodical. This simply means that they continue to be behind the others in various models by a year or more sometimes. However, there are times they accelerate forward and catch up (or sometimes exceed) others, but then they fall back into the same groove.

If Canon was a car ride, it would be like you would feel a slight acceleration off the light, then a continuous speed, then a sudden rush of speed, followed by heavy braking, and back to a stop, rinse and repeat.

With Sony, for example, it is like they never come to a stop, but they have ebb and flow in acceleration/slowing down with quick turns into other directions.

Canon is like the bumper cars at the amusement park. They used to be called bumper cars and you could ram into each other and it was fun. Now they're called dodge ems and they're lame but useful for getting out of the sun for a few minutes at a time. Same ride, just a lot more boring.

sponsored links

874 views & 0 likes for this thread
FULL FRAME MIRRORLESS CANON
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.