Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 28 Aug 2018 (Tuesday) 21:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Get your wallets ready....new mirrorless announcement soon

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,436 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 02, 2018 18:39 |  #106

Mbell1975 wrote in post #18698901 (external link)
You are kidding right? The M50 is the best selling mirrorless camera in Japan and Canon just took over the #1 spot for mirrorless camera sales in Japan.Their numbers have been rising in the US and other markets too. This release will help those numbers of course. Their M line is far from a flop though.

A $600 camera with a 5 lens lineup is so totally competing with a $2-4000 camera with 30-50 lenses....

Did you not get the news regarding Sony out selling both Nikon and Canon? You surely didn't get the memo, but Canon and Nikon did.

Nikon didn't even bother release a crop camera.....

Sony A7rii/A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

sponsored links
Mbell1975
THREAD ­ STARTER
248 posts
Joined Jul 2018
Post edited 5 months ago by Mbell1975. (4 edits in all)

Sep 02, 2018 19:43 |  #107
bannedPermanent ban

Charlie wrote in post #18698910 (external link)
A $600 camera with a 5 lens lineup is so totally competing with a $2-4000 camera with 30-50 lenses....

Did you not get the news regarding Sony out selling both Nikon and Canon? You surely didn't get the memo, but Canon and Nikon did.

Nikon didn't even bother release a crop camera.....

I never said that Canon was outselling Sony in every market but what I said was accurate. The M50 is the best selling mirrorless camera in Japan and Canon is #1 in mirrorless camera sales in Japan with Sony a distant 3rd. Thats not a "total flop" and thats without Canon really getting serious about mirrorless. Now that they are finally releasing a FF mirrorless, you will see Sony's lead continue to slip until Canon also dominates mirrorless sales around the globe. I say within two years, maybe sooner. Here you go, in case you didn't get the memo :-)

https://petapixel.com …rorless-cameras-in-japan/ (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,961 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 02, 2018 19:56 |  #108

Mbell1975 wrote in post #18698901 (external link)
You are kidding right? The M50 is the best selling mirrorless camera in Japan and Canon just took over the #1 spot for mirrorless camera sales in Japan.Their numbers have been rising in the US and other markets too. This release will help those numbers of course. Their M line is far from a flop though.

Where are they at amongst all the other countries? Their ef-m lineup is a joke...I said their first iteration was a flop...which it was $850 camera being sold at $250 is a flop, and then taking a step back before introducing another camera to the us market

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,767 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 02, 2018 20:41 |  #109

Mbell1975 wrote in post #18698650 (external link)
You asked why a pro camera would have 50MP. Why wouldn't it?

Because most working pros put a very high value on workflow speed, and a rather low value on super-high resolution.

This is why Canon's true professional bodies, the 1 series, have much lower resolution than their fine art / prosumer bodies.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,269 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 5 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Sep 02, 2018 20:47 |  #110

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18698968 (external link)
Because most working pros put a very high value on workflow speed, and a rather low value on super-high resolution.

This is why Canon's true professional bodies, the 1 series, have much lower resolution than their fine art / prosumer bodies.

Exactly Tom, thank you. It is hard to explain to those that don't receive a paycheck from at least pro perspective for sport, why certain things are the way they are.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,961 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 02, 2018 20:53 |  #111

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18698970 (external link)
Exactly Tom, thank you. It is hard to explain to those that don't receive a paycheck from at least pro perspective for sport, why certain things are the way they are.

Do you think they are just going to settle in at 30mp, and not introduce more mp in the next generation of cameras? I don’t shoot paid sports, but a lot of wildlife, and i’d certainly be fine with more mp

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

rantercsr
Goldmember
2,829 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Sep 02, 2018 20:55 |  #112

DreDaze wrote in post #18698975 (external link)
Do you think they are just going to settle in at 30mp, and not introduce more mp in the next generation of cameras? I don’t shoot paid sports, but a lot of wildlife, and i’d certainly be fine with more mp

but higher mp cameras are typically a bit slower..

forgive me if i'm assuming , I'm very clueless of wildlife .. but I assumed speed is highly desired?

a buffer that doesn't fill up too quickly and that clears very quickly?

I got a couple of Cameras and lenses ...Canon, Sony, Fuji, Pansonic, pentax
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://youtu.be/YzJ1o​eiHm7Y (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,269 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 5 months ago by TeamSpeed. (3 edits in all)

Sep 02, 2018 20:59 |  #113

Sure they are, I never said they wouldn't. But for a pro sports shooter at least, more isn't better. More is slower, more clumsy, and many times a hindrance. There is a time and place and need for high resolution. When it comes to speed to market during a game thru media outlets and social media, nobody needs high resolution images. They need agility and speed. One day perhaps when everything is faster (card access, burst speeds, wireless transfer, software for processing, etc), then resolution can be higher. We are not there yet. I have been requested to get images quickly per quarter to the media desk. I have to get them transferred quickly from the 5D4 to Google Drive, where the media person is pulling them up, cropping and overlaying scores and stats. High res would be a mess for this process. Others have card runners, I don't need that though.

For Canon's release, they will likely make FF mirrorless that relate to the 5D4/6D, 5DS, and then the 1DX.

A9 ~ 1DX
A73R ~ 5DS
A73 ~ mix of the 6D2 and 5D4

It feels like this first FF Canon mirrorless is targeting the A73. It certainly doesn't come close to the A73R or A9.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,273 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 02, 2018 21:16 |  #114

When did the 1D4 come out?
Two generations later, and the 1DxII is only @ 20mp vs that 1D4 16MP. And the 1Dx was only 18MP in between. We do seem to have stalled quite a bit in that race at the high speed end of things.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,273 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 02, 2018 21:18 |  #115

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18698978 (external link)

A9 ~ 1DX
A73R ~ 5DS
A73 ~ mix of the 6D2 and 5D4

It feels like this first FF Canon mirrorless is targeting the A73. It certainly doesn't come close to the A73R or A9.

Makes sense to me.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Mbell1975
THREAD ­ STARTER
248 posts
Joined Jul 2018
Post edited 5 months ago by Mbell1975. (2 edits in all)

Sep 02, 2018 22:15 |  #116
bannedPermanent ban

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18698970 (external link)

Ive been receiving a paycheck from my photography for the last 13 years, its my only source of income. I have zero problems importing and batch processing even the files off the 5Ds I rented, but I do work in JPEG. With every new processor, the in camera JPEG processing gets better and better. With how advanced JPEG processing is and how advanced and powerful editors are, I stopped shooting in RAW back in 06-07. I also shoot in controlled lighting environments or in natural light where I know what Im doing. Not like I ever need to recover anything in shadows or things like that, so RAW holds no real advantages for what I do. My workflow is very quick.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,767 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 02, 2018 22:23 as a reply to  @ Mbell1975's post |  #117

Many working pros work for media outlets or agencies, and need to transfer hundreds, sometimes even thousands, of images wirelessly, both during the event they are shooting and immediately after the event ends. These are the photographers that the flagship bodies are designed for, and I guarantee you that these professional sports event shooters and news event shooters do not want 50 MP files, even though they are shooting jPegs.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 5 months ago by davesrose. (3 edits in all)

Sep 02, 2018 22:33 |  #118

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18698985 (external link)
When did the 1D4 come out?
Two generations later, and the 1DxII is only @ 20mp vs that 1D4 16MP. And the 1Dx was only 18MP in between. We do seem to have stalled quite a bit in that race at the high speed end of things.

But the 1DXII is FF, has higher frame rate, and *probably most important in Canon's scheme* is the HDSLR 4K system they're marketing for film productions (AFAIK, the only DCI 4k at full cinema crop). For stills, I was really luke warm about the 5D2 coming out, but it was revolutionary for smaller form factor FF HD video. Canon, being market driven, is looking at the best segmentation.

I just upgraded from 22MP 5D3 to 5D4: for portraiture, I am seeing some added detail with the 30MP....not sure if I'd want to go to 50MP (either with extra MP not realized or file size). A friend of mine switched from Canon to Nikon. He first got the D810 and has gotten the D850: he says he's not so much enamored by extra resolution but overall features (and at the time of 5D3 vs D810, there was clear DR improvements).

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Mbell1975
THREAD ­ STARTER
248 posts
Joined Jul 2018

Sep 02, 2018 22:38 |  #119
bannedPermanent ban

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18699012 (external link)
Many working pros work for media outlets or agencies, and need to transfer hundreds, sometimes even thousands, of images wirelessly, both during the event they are shooting and immediately after the event ends. These are the photographers that the flagship bodies are designed for, and I guarantee you that these professional sports event shooters and news event shooters do not want 50 MP files, even though they are shooting jPegs.

I see your point but given how incredibly well the Nikon D850 has sold and the way the a7riii continues to sell, I think there are plenty of pros who want higher resolution cameras.

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 02, 2018 22:47 |  #120

Mbell1975 wrote in post #18699022 (external link)
I see your point but given how incredibly well the Nikon D850 has sold and the way the a7riii continues to sell, I think there are plenty of pros who want higher resolution cameras.

It becomes a point of diminishing returns. Maybe if you're a sports shooter and have a shot which you need to do a big crop, then extra resolution comes into play. But for magazine size prints, a working 40+MP is overkill.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

sponsored links

10,879 views & 144 likes for this thread
Get your wallets ready....new mirrorless announcement soon
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.