Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 31 Aug 2018 (Friday) 02:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Window Dolls

Qbx
Goldmember
3,907 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 31, 2018 02:43 |  #1

Walking down the street I did a double-take. At first I saw two dolls in the window. As I got closer, the real live dolls became apparent. Not sure about the crop on this one. Any ideas? C&C welcome.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

-- Image Editing OK --

sponsored links
AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,488 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 01, 2018 13:12 |  #2

Qbx wrote in post #18697017 (external link)
Walking down the street I did a double-take. At first I saw two dolls in the window. As I got closer, the real live dolls became apparent. Not sure about the crop on this one. Any ideas? C&C welcome.

Do you have a release from a parent or guardian of the minor children? If not, I suggest removing the image since you were outdoors shooting through a window into an area where they had a reasonable expectation of privacy.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
1,650 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2016
Post edited 6 months ago by -Duck-. (2 edits in all)

Sep 01, 2018 13:27 as a reply to  @ AZGeorge's post |  #3

You are joking, right?
If this is supposed to be sarcasm it's not coming across as such. :)

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photography (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)

Qbx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,907 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 02, 2018 17:56 as a reply to  @ AZGeorge's post |  #4

What makes you think that they had a reasonable expectation of privacy when they are placed in a window facing a street?

-- Image Editing OK --

DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,897 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 03, 2018 07:53 as a reply to  @ AZGeorge's post |  #5

they're not in the back of a store, they're sitting in a window...no expectation of privacy.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M
https://designcostello​.com/ (external link)

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,107 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 03, 2018 12:12 |  #6

Boy this took a really odd turn.

QBX.... I know you prefer color, but have you tried this as a b/w? It's got some compelling patterns in it. Not sure ...... but worth a click or two.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

filmuser
193 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2016

Sep 03, 2018 12:21 as a reply to  @ AZGeorge's post |  #7

Sorry but no privacy issue. This photo isn't being used commercially. They can been seen from the street. There can be no expectation of privacy in your own home if curtains are open and someone on the street take photos.

Qbx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,907 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 03, 2018 12:32 as a reply to  @ Croasdail's post |  #8

All the colors in the scene had me mentally snared. I gave your idea a try. Then lowered reds, blues, and magentas, then bumped clarity and it made a more contrasty scene. I kinda like it. It brought out the bizarre reflections more so than the color.
Thanks for the critique.

HOSTED PHOTO

-- Image Editing OK --

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,965 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 03, 2018 13:00 as a reply to  @ Qbx's post |  #9

I would crop to exclude the ads on the right and then crop the left to center the newspaper boxes.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,107 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 03, 2018 19:32 as a reply to  @ Qbx's post |  #10

Yea... there is a lot going on there. Sometimes simplifying helps. Nice conversion.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,305 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Sep 03, 2018 23:31 |  #11

Both the visual and color clutter of the original is what makes it appealing to me. Having to work to discover the focal payoff heightens the visual enjoyment.

Qbx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,907 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 05, 2018 10:39 |  #12

OhLook wrote in post #18699474 (external link)
I would crop to exclude the ads on the right and then crop the left to center the newspaper boxes.

I played around with your idea, but as a Tex says below, the clutter adds some appeal to the scene. And lately I've been partial to having some signage in my photos. I found that a left crop to move the dolls off center looks better. Thanks for the critique.

Croasdail wrote in post #18699736 (external link)
Yea... there is a lot going on there. Sometimes simplifying helps. Nice conversion.

Thanks.

texkam wrote in post #18699876 (external link)
Both the visual and color clutter of the original is what makes it appealing to me. Having to work to discover the focal payoff heightens the visual enjoyment.

In this one, I agree. Thanks.

HOSTED PHOTO

-- Image Editing OK --

lenscap1
49 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Oct 18, 2018 15:43 |  #13

Feels a little too strait on and graphic. Its more about the lines than the kids

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,107 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 20, 2018 19:09 |  #14

I'll have to say I am not one that finds having to find the subject of the photo to be something I am fond of. Hanging in a gallery .... if the topic of the photo isn't obvious, I move on. The subject can be the visual clutter.... but then it would need to be really obvious that was the intent. Just a difference in taste. I guess I like being spoon fed what the author was trying to illustrate.

Mark

ozziepuppy
Goldmember
3,145 posts
Gallery: 197 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 23, 2018 21:19 |  #15

I like it quite a bit, because it makes you stop and think. First of all, the kids look like miniatures because of the scale of the signs, newspapers, and windowpanes, which made me do a double-take re whether they were real or not. Second, their expressions are kind of strange -- the little girl could be shutting out looking at something awful, and the little boy could be worried about someone returning to that room. Third, why are they even sitting there where anyone can see them from the outside, and are they free to leave? It almost makes you kind of worried about them. I could see someone (the photographer) setting this up as a photo that was very ambiguous. Knowing that you just happened to be walking by and took this picture makes it even more intriguing (possibly disturbing). If this were in a gallery, it definitely would not be one that I walked right past.

Marci
Constructive criticism always appreciated.
Gear
Pre-2018 Feedback :)

sponsored links

1,582 views & 15 likes for this thread
Window Dolls
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.